• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 HDMI to TV (Picture) - DisplayPort / HDMI to AV Receiver (Sound) possible?

Associate
So i have the Samsung Q950TS 8K TV, RTX 3090 and Denon 4700H receiver. The hdmi 2.1 bug is real, I sort of had it working and then no signal screen kept appearing.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is possible: Connect RTX 3090 directly to HDMI Port 4 (2.1) on one connect box of TV for picture using HDMI 2.1 cable THEN... DisplayPort to HDMI cable, Displayport connector from RTX 3090 and other end of cable (HDMI) into AV Receiver for sound. Has anyone tried this and will it work? I read the pc will show as two monitors but that you can just duplicate screens in the windows 10 settings. Any advice would be appreciated. If you are doing the same then let me know if it works, I want to still be able to select 8k 60hz or 4 120hz and get full digital audio through my receiver.

Assuming this does not reduce bandwidth for image and I'll still be able to use HDR 4k 120hz and 8k for streaming on Youtube?

If you are doing the same what settings did you need to change in Windows 10 to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Soldato
why do you want to overcomplicate it?

Just run a single HDMI 2.1 cable from the 3090 to the TV and a HDMI cable from the TV to the AVR, as long as your TV supports eARC the TV should be able to pass through every sound format possible, both compressed and uncompressed.

I do this with my 3090 --> HDMI 2.1 cable --> LG C9 OLED with eARC on --> HDMI cable --> Sonos ARC soundbar (supports eARC too). I get 4k 120hz HDR 10bit RGB 4:4:4 on the TV and my Soundbar gets 5:1:2 Dolby Atmos or Uncompressed 5.1

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Only no signal bug I’ve seen with my 3090 required disabling Fast Startup in Windows.

Once disabled I’ve not had the problem since.

As Grim said above, not sure why you’re over complicating things with the cabling.

Associate
OP

Just run a single HDMI 2.1 cable from the 3090 to the TV and a HDMI cable from the TV to the AVR, as long as your TV supports eARC the TV should be able to pass through every sound format possible, both compressed and uncompressed.

I do this with my 3090 --> HDMI 2.1 cable --> LG C9 OLED with eARC on --> HDMI cable --> Sonos ARC soundbar (supports eARC too). I get 4k 120hz HDR 10bit RGB 4:4:4 on the TV and my Soundbar gets 5:1:2 Dolby Atmos or Uncompressed 5.1

Thanks for the advice, i didn't realise this was possible.

So i have today hooked up the RTX 3090 to the HDMI 4, and then HDMI 3 (eArc) to the (eArc) on the receiver.

Currently when i turn on my pc i can only get stereo sound. If i go into sound settings i can see the sound is coming from the Samsung tv, using the Nvidia High Definition Audio.

How to change this so i can get 5.1 please? Also in speaker setup i now only have 2 options, stereo or Dolby Atmos for home speaker.

P.B

P.B

Soldato

This is how I use my 3090>C9>4700h

Associate
OP
Cool we have the same receiver & graphics card

So can you get 5.1 in your sound settings in Windows 10? The receiver just says TV Stereo. I can change the setting on the receiver to DD 5.1 or DTX 5.1 etc but it's not the same as Direct PCM. So for example when playing DayZ and a zombie is behind me the sound isn't accurate, I hear it more from the front than the rear speakers.

Soldato

So can you get 5.1 in your sound settings in Windows 10? The receiver just says TV Stereo. I can change the setting on the receiver to DD 5.1 or DTX 5.1 etc but it's not the same as Direct PCM. So for example when playing DayZ and a zombie is behind me the sound isn't accurate, I hear it more from the front than the rear speakers.

Your TV also has to be able to passthrough the signal AFAIK with correct firmware. LG C9 initially was not able to passthrough Advanced PCM (LPCM) signals either only stereo, only with firmware last year was the C9 able to get Advanced PCM working correctly. The newer LG OLEDs got it out the box, hence why we can easily do GPU -- > TV --> eARC into the AVR. so having eARC port alone will not mean you can passthorough mulitchannel PCM signal correctly.

Soldato

Based on your current windows settings, it sounds like windows thinks your sound output is your TV speakers, it's not seeing your AVR - make sure eARC is enabled both ways and make sure the TV's audio settings is for LPCM pass through

Soldato
Based on your current windows settings, it sounds like windows thinks your sound output is your TV speakers, it's not seeing your AVR - make sure eARC is enabled both ways and make sure the TV's audio settings is for LPCM pass through

the problem is not speakers or AVR. It’s his TV, 2020 Samsung TVs as of right now do not support LPCM pass through. Need to not assume all TVs can pass through LPCM like LG OLEDs can. In fact the C9 prior to the firmware that introduced LPCM had the same behaviour OP mentioning.

apparently as we speak Samsung are trying to roll out firmware on some 2020 models to try and resolve but those few who have got firmware it has not still resolved LPCM issues https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...020-QLED-eARC-LPCM-issues/td-p/1598450/page/5

not something most LG OLED owners notice as we have it pretty good on the whole realise is missing on other tv makers as most will assume if it has eARC, its capable of perfect pass through of all formats also.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bingo, that's the reason, Samsung doesn't support LPCM and so the best I can receive is stereo which defeats the point of having it connected to my Denon receiver. I can select 5.1 DD on the receiver but it's not real, as in it's not direct and so when I have someone in game walking behind me I'm hearing them more from the centre speaker and so it's a real immersion killer.

Had I have known previously I would have purchased an LG OLED. Feel like I've been robbed twice, firstly by Denon who released a YouTube video showing that the receiver 2.1 bug wasn't ab issue with RTX, yet I can't get a signal and now I can't get LPCM through eArc.

Where does that leave me. I guess my original idea of RTX to TV (picture) and DisplayPort to Receiver for sound. This will mean that my computer sees two screens but I can select duplicate screens. Will this effect game performance, HDR etc?

Associate
Bingo, that's the reason, Samsung doesn't support LPCM and so the best I can receive is stereo which defeats the point of having it connected to my Denon receiver. I can select 5.1 DD on the receiver but it's not real, as in it's not direct and so when I have someone in game walking behind me I'm hearing them more from the centre speaker and so it's a real immersion killer.

Had I have known previously I would have purchased an LG OLED. Feel like I've been robbed twice, firstly by Denon who released a YouTube video showing that the receiver 2.1 bug wasn't ab issue with RTX, yet I can't get a signal and now I can't get LPCM through eArc.

Where does that leave me. I guess my original idea of RTX to TV (picture) and DisplayPort to Receiver for sound. This will mean that my computer sees two screens but I can select duplicate screens. Will this effect game performance, HDR etc?

I remember trying this kinda setup many years ago. Parents have a 720p projector and an AV receiver. If I connected PC -> AMP -> Projector, on restart the PC would always set output to 1080p, as the Amp was saying thats native. Then would try drive that to the Projector which would give no picture.

To get round it I tried DP -> DVI to projector, HDMI -> AV receiver.

I wasn't able to make it work properly. But then I had 2 mismatched resolutions. (720p + 1080p)

I dont think there would be a noticeable performance penalty from running "duplicated" outputs as you described.
I think only 1 thing to do.... give it a shot. Presume you have all the cabling you need to test so nothing to loose in that sense.

Good luck.

Soldato
I run older hardware but have a similar set up to what you’re after.

From my 1070ti I have a DisplayPort to HDMI cable running direct to my Samsung Q85R which tops out at 4K@60 and 1440p@120. For sound I have a HDMI cable going to my soundbar which allows all surround sound codecs to be used upto Atmos. It’s not complicated to do but you’ll need to have a fiddle with display and sound settings to ensure that the correct hardware is being used.

P.B

P.B

Soldato

Enable atmos on tv then set it on ya windows sound then it will hand it to the AVR

Soldato

You can enable Atmos like someone mentioned as a route, that seems to get 5.1 working, though found it was not fully accurate in games which do not support Atmos prior to when c9 did not have LPCM update.

Or as someone else mentioned, could wait for the fix apparently denon is getting out which will hopefully solve things, means you go to your AVR first then to TV.

Your other solution is what I use on another one of my rig (non-TV one) and have been for years now. One cable from GPU into my monitor for 100hz / G-Sync all that stuff. Another cable from same GPU into my AVR. As you say, you will get a phantom monitor however I do not see an issue in terms of performance or HDR when I compare with / without it. You can make the phantom monitor which represents the AVR really tiny. Some people do find it odd as your cursor can go off screen on say desktop or non-full screen mode, but will get used to it.

Associate
OP
Okay so, I was feeling persistent and then reverted back to the original setup again. HDMI 2.1 from RTX to receiver, then receiver to one connect box port 4 which is 2.1.

Bingo it started working, the handshake worked. I could go all the way up to 8k with HDR and multi channel 5.1, I was super happy (obviously until it stopped working that is). Anyway I have finally figured out the fault. It's not the graphics card or the receiver......it's the Q950TS, it's the signal plus option. Turn it on and you receive no signal, turn it off and you get a signal but only 4k at 60hz with no HDR. I just googled this problem and many people are experiencing the same thing, turning on signal plus which is required to enable 2.1 bandwidth results in no signal input.

I tried resetting the TV to factory settings etc but nothing is working.

In my situation what would you do? Would you send the TV back as faulty and ask for a refund? I will call Samsung tech support tomorrow but it appears many others have done the same but have still not been able to get signal plus to work with Windows 10 etc.

Soldato
It's one of those things where, if they give you a replacement tv would it fix the issue? Is not then there's no point unless they're gonna refund you so you can go buy an LG

Back
Top Bottom