New gaming build. Thoughts?

Man of Honour
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,897.02 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Will put my 2080TI into it for now and have existing hard drives and peripherals. Would I be better going 32GB RAM I guess is a key question?

Man of Honour
Overpriced parts that wont net you much in terms of performance but if you can afford to splash the cash then why not.

Then you buy a value aio although very good in performance.

32gb is a must in a high end build.

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
I had specced it with 32GB but that is out of stock and then moved it to 2 x 16GB but moved it to just 1 x 16GB. I will heed the advice and go to 32GB of higher latency memory, which was the sole reason I chose this set.

Case is a personal aesthetic choice really.

Mobo again I went for something with options. Current PC (which is now plugged in to my race simulator) has the old ROG Extreme V which was top line when I bought it so sort of went bit below top line this time, but I can probably drop off some functions there.

PSU I was thinking moving to high end GPU when I can get one, so was sort of planning ahead but again not vital to have 1200w. I don't need to worry about the pounds and pence, but at the same time don't want to waste money so will have another look.

Ta!

Soldato
Super over expensive board won't make PC any faster or longer good staying, but only you that much poorer.
£220 MSI X570 Tomahawk is more than enough for gaming PC.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html

32GB of memory is definitely far more usefull for future proofness.
What high end gaming it would be, if you had to close web browser etc to guarantee enough free RAM for all situations?

And if you want to squeeze last drops of performance from CPU, then you should be going for dual rank memory.
Command interleaving allowed by that boosts gaming performance CPU limit comparably to good jump in memory clock.
(3200MHz dual rank comparable to single rank 3600MHz)

That needs either 16GB dual rank DIMMs, or two 8 GB DIMMs per channel.
In case of 16GB DIMMs only Samsung B-die chips using ones are guaranteed to be dual ranks nowadays.
3200 MHz CL14 kits are about the cheapest top bin B-die, but would need manual overclocking for 3600MHz.
3600 MHz 16-16-16 latency kits would be good XMP fire and forget solution.
(16-19-19 kits use random chips)

Also that extremely oversized PSU would be running barely at 80+ Gold efficiency under gaming load.
And when not gaming it would be struggling to reach 80% efficiency.
Such big PSU simply needs more energy to keep itself running, just like some big V8 car engine.

850W would be more reasonable, unless you're purposely aiming to maximizing room heating potential of your PC for minimal performance increase.

Soldato
Chipset cooler design straight from arse of brand overhype marketroids:
Actual heatsink under marketing excrements is small.
And hence to actually do good job it relies on also tiny fan, constricted by further marketing BS.
With whole crud positioned directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.​
So in any longer gaming sessions that fan will be doing lots of rounds.
And should be easy to guess what happens if/when it wears out...

For comparison MSI has proper big heatsink farther from heat of graphics card and if you have good case cooling fan is unlikely to ever turn.

Associate
Chipset cooler design straight from arse of brand overhype marketroids:
Actual heatsink under marketing excrements is small.
And hence to actually do good job it relies on also tiny fan, constricted by further marketing BS.
With whole crud positioned directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.​
.....[snip]

Subtle... :cry:

Associate
Certainly the Motherboard and PSU seem unnecessarily pricey for my liking. For sure it seems strange to not put some money aside for a GPU upgrade.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

These parts should be more than enough to suit most people's needs. 1200W is completely pointless for anything outside of the server market or LN2 overclocking.

Soldato
Why would you buy a Threadripper cpu for a gaming pc ?

The low-end Threadripper Pros are relatively cheap, with the 16 core costing under £900 if you know where to look, so the 12 core 3945WX should be a lot cheaper (though I can't immediately find UK stock). And Threadripper Pro CPUs - unlike Ryzen (and Intel's Core range) - don't have the problem of severely limited PCIE lanes. Likewise a WRX motherboard isn't that much more than the board he originally listed. And then there's the upgrade path.

Back
Top Bottom