ATX12VO (10pin)

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-w...-popular-with-cheap-alder-lake-s-motherboards

To be honest I'm not keen on this at all.
The latter is not to feature any other power rails than 12V, which means voltages lower or higher than 12V would have to be directly converted by the motherboard itself, rather than the power supply. This increases the complexity of the motherboard.

Does not sound good for the price of motherboards.
But I just don't like the idea of moving more voltage core functions onto the motherboard away from the PSU.
Motherboards are already jam packed.

Last edited:
Associate
Isn't basically everything 12v now anyway?

I think the only 3.3 and 5v stuff is SATA power and older PCIe cards. Wouldn't have thought it would add much to the price to put some low power DC-DC converters on the board.
I'd have thought simplifying everything to 12v should make things a bit cheaper in the long run.

Associate
Isn't basically everything 12v now anyway?

I think the only 3.3 and 5v stuff is SATA power and older PCIe cards. Wouldn't have thought it would add much to the price to put some low power DC-DC converters on the board.
I'd have thought simplifying everything to 12v should make things a bit cheaper in the long run.

Exactly. The difference in board price will be negligible, anything that still uses 3.3V or 5V from the PSU won't need super high quality components to provide those voltages. Any difference in price will be more than offset by the PSU being cheaper and more efficient.

The transition period will be a bit rough for the consumer with two different board / PSU standards available, but I guess you could use an adapter to use a traditional ATX PSU with an ATX 12VO board if you really needed to.

Soldato
thought server power supplies have just loads of power on the 12v rails? seen 1000w+ server psus that have a much smaller footprint than your desktop psu of that wattage.

Soldato
It's a stupid standard in real life setups, example for every sata device you will need to run a cable from the motherboard for power and sata now, so it is adding more cable mess in reality. It's intel being intel and they have tried these standards in the past too and failed. This is nothing more than trying to create e-waste of old psus & motherboards and trying to do what is not needed, the power saving rubbish can be done on ATX PSUs anyways so they are talking rubbish about the power savings they made up, let them test a ATX PSU that is actually good not the junk they compared it too in them results.

This is not the way to go and motherboard makers are upset from what I am reading about this too, saying it will only create more headaches for them and for customers that cause power damage to the boards as there will need to be a repair on the board when a short is caused to any power lines, where the psu will just shut down under them situations and will not start back up until the short is removed. Also what is easier to replace a motherboard or just a psu when you end up with a power issue. Now you have to wonder if it's the psu or the motherboard. Intel and their stupid standards that are not needed with current hardware, sorry I don't want to run many ssd power cables of my motherboard, I don't even take power from the motherboard for fan headers only the PWM signal and take power from the PSU to feed the fans to stop any issues with frying headers that can also take out your motherboard, this is a backward step from Intel and should not be for the pc hardware market and if they really want to use it give it to Dell and HP or any system builders that love to lock customers down to their parts only due to special connectors and sizes of the hardware they use.

The dumbest thing I have seen since Nvidia and their stupid GPU power connector in the last year.

Soldato
A pretty decent write up here with a practical demonstration of two systems built to test the differences between a std ATX and then the 12vo built type....

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/atx12vo_tested_-_the_future_of_power_supplies/1

it does seem to offer some pretty decent power savings.
Nothing decent there.
Those results are pure (sh)Intel's marketing BS.

Using entirely different level motherboards from different makers skews results from before anything is even powered on.
One is pretty stripped down basic board for supermarket PCs and another fully loaded enthusiast board.
Also nothing about if BIOS settings were similar.
In fact to truly reliably measure efficiency under different loads difference they should have used fixed clocks/volts.

For example that web page test tells that there's something very fishy going on.
Same for Youtube test.

Anyone keeping those results in any way truthfull comparison lacks knowledge to be credible reviewer:
How there could be such big differences from efficiency when whole ATX PSU wastes like 10W at most at those outputs?

Soldato
anything that still uses 3.3V or 5V from the PSU won't need super high quality components to provide those voltages.
That's 100% wrong.
5V powers logic of all HDDs, 2.5" SSDs and other drives and if you feed them dirty power you'll run real risk of corrupting data.
Possibly even bricking some drives by corrupting control data necessary for logical level operation.

M.2 drives again run on 3.3V... Peaking even above 3A current draw.
Expansion cards can also run on it.

And if you add more than standard amount of drives, there's real risk of overloading those tiny VRMs on motherboards no doubt sized for bar's lowest level.

Any difference in price will be more than offset by the PSU being cheaper and more efficient.
Conversion losses happen no matter if that conversion from 12V to lower ones happens in PSU or mobo!
Those converters aren't any more efficient in mobo than inside PSU.

Except by using optimized sizing for known fixed level load to fit that into efficiency peak.
Which doesn't allow flexibility in adding more drives and devices.
So enthusiasts can easily run into need of extra converter, whose price will no doubt be 500% of price paid from 3.3/5V converter in PSU.

Back
Top Bottom