• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FX8350 getting hot and cutting out.

Associate
Right so ive come accross abit of a strange one to me. someone else may know exactly what the problem is.

So we've recently bought a new to us PC. its got a FX 8350 in it, a 1060 and is powered by a 620W PSU. we knew it had a non running issue when we bought it and thought we could figure it out ourselves considering we were buying it from family.

So when we first got it, it was running hot and would cut out once it got to 82.5 degrees. we checked the AIO cooler on it and the block was too hot to touch.

we've replaced the AIO with a Deepcool AIO 120mm rad and when i ran a prime95 stress test the cpu didnt get hotter than 40 degrees under 100% load.

Thinking we'd fixed it, we jumped into a game of League and within 2 minutes it had cut out again and wouldnt boot until we'd left it a while to cool down.

Considering up until 3 weeks ago this was a perfectly fine PC im finding it very confusing.

i'm next thinking that the cpu is pulling too much power even though its not overclocked?

Thank in advance!

Associate
OP
When it cut out with the new cooler when we managed to get it back on the mobo said it was at 70 and that was after it had had a couple of minutes to cooldown. we've just taken the side panel back off to have a look and feel and i noticed theres a wire coming from the PSU cpu cable to the CPUOPT header? ive never seen that before any idea what the might be?

Soldato
You don't want to go above 65* on the CPU temperature. It might be reported as Package temp in the software.

Other thing is the VRM on the motherboard may be overheating. When that starts overheating, you'll get a knock on effect on the CPU temps. And you'll notice the clock speed throttling down under heavy load.

Back
Top Bottom