• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the best time to sell your GPU?

Sui

Sui

Soldato
So you are saying your action is because someone else’s action? So if CEX dangled £1000 off a cliff edge would you jump?

How is that even remotely comparable?

I’m quite happy with what I did and do not consider myself to be a scalper. Yes, I could have sold it on the MM for what I paid, but they’d probably just go and sell it to CeX for £1600 and to be honest I wouldn’t blame them.

If you think Crypto isn’t causing this then I guess we’ll have to disagree. I know there are chip shortages and Covid, but the problem would be nowhere near as bad if cards weren’t used for mining.

Soldato
How is that even remotely comparable?

I’m quite happy with what I did and do not consider myself to be a scalper. Yes, I could have sold it on the MM for what I paid, but they’d probably just go and sell it to CeX for £1600 and to be honest I wouldn’t blame them.

If you think Crypto isn’t causing this then I guess we’ll have to disagree. I know there are chip shortages and Covid, but the problem would be nowhere near as bad if cards weren’t used for mining.
AMD radeons aren’t widely used as mining cards so explain to me why they are so hard to get and why there is no stock of them and if there is stock the prices are 1.5x MSRP at least….

the heart of the problem is greed and profiteering, let it be Nvidia, the AIB manufacturers, distributors, retailers, scalpers or you and every other Joe on the block who want to make a quick buck…

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
..they’d probably just go and sell it to CeX for £1600 and to be honest I wouldn’t blame them.

AMD radeons aren’t widely used as mining cards so explain to me why they are so hard to get and why there is no stock of them and if there is stock the prices are 1.5x MSRP at least….

the heart of the problem is greed and profiteering, let it be Nvidia, the AIB manufacturers, distributors, retailers, scalpers or you and every other Joe on the block who want to make a quick buck…

Good point on the AMD stock + prices.

Its also apt to point out the consoles have nothing to do with mining, yet they are being scalped and are equally hard to obtain. So again, cant just blame everything on miners/mining. It seems people who really needed these gaming gpu's quickly forgot about any issues when second hand shops or punters dangle a few pounds.

Soldato
Imagine a housing developer offered 3 times market rate to buy your house and demolish it. How many people would say "thanks but no thanks" instead of "certainly, I just got ourself a free upgrade to that cottage with a few acres we drooled over"

No clue why anyone would turn down risk free profit.

Associate
Imagine a housing developer offered 3 times market rate to buy your house and demolish it. How many people would say "thanks but no thanks" instead of "certainly, I just got ourself a free upgrade to that cottage with a few acres we drooled over"

I wish someone would offer me even 2 times the value of my place, I would sell it in an instant and buy something bigger elsewhere :p

Associate
OP

Exactly. I bet 9 people out of 10 would take such a deal. That was basically what CEX were offering owners of GPU's. All those acting like we have betrayed the brotherhood of gamers need to get a grip and stop being such cry babies.

Soldato
I am glad I started this thread. Seems I called it close to the peak. I got £920 cash for my 6800 and now CEX are only offering £833...
I like money...
I have the best of both worlds. I have the Ryzen 3600 computer that I just threw a cheap quadro card into and the Xbox. When I had my 6800 it spent about 95% of the time mining and honestly it sucked because if I ever gamed I felt like it was costing me money.
Overclockers scalped me from the start. I paid £599 for my 6800 which is over MSRP. Now Overclockers are pretty much charging the same as the scalpers on ebay.

What am I on about? You need to read some of what your posting pal. You seem to have a problem with OcUK scalping, yet post on here complaining.

You spent 95% of your time mining and you like money.

You like to post on here how much money you have gained from selling.

What are you going on about? I think you have lost the plot?

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like a lot of howling at the moon going on. It is how it is, and no amount of wanting the world to be different to will change it, not when it involves fundamental human behaviour. Better to go with the flow and relax ;)

Soldato
Exactly. I bet 9 people out of 10 would take such a deal. That was basically what CEX were offering owners of GPU's. All those acting like we have betrayed the brotherhood of gamers need to get a grip and stop being such cry babies.

If someone was offering money to turn an orphanage into a whore house then I'd have a moral objection but I'm not sure it's worth caring that someone wanted a gpu for gaming but then realised money was irresistible.

Associate
OP
What am I on about? You need to read some of what your posting pal. You seem to have a problem with OcUK scalping, yet post on here complaining.

You spent 95% of your time mining and you like money.

You like to post on here how much money you have gained from selling.

You are calling me a hypocrite but can't back it up. Feel free to apologise.

Soldato
Seems like a lot of howling at the moon going on. It is how it is, and no amount of wanting the world to be different to will change it, not when it involves fundamental human behaviour. Better to go with the flow and relax ;)
Thats pretty much it….

but there are people who have been scalping or reselling themselves and saying “I am not part of this system, it is not my fault, it’s the miners and professional scalpers and retailers”.

the whole thing stinks, anyone and everyone involved in it is contributing to the worsening of the situation that’s it.

Associate

On the money. It's annoying if you are looking to buy for sure (which I am) but an almost no-brainer if you have one.

Soldato
You are calling me a hypocrite but can't back it up. Feel free to apologise.

Really? So you call out OcUK for scalping, making money (they are a business). Yet you say you like money, bought a card from OcUK, whine about it, then sell card for more money i.e. doing exactly what they are doing.

Hypocrite.

Thats pretty much it….

but there are people who have been scalping or reselling themselves and saying “I am not part of this system, it is not my fault, it’s the miners and professional scalpers and retailers”.

the whole thing stinks, anyone and everyone involved in it is contributing to the worsening of the situation that’s it.

Nail. Head.

Associate
OP
Really? So you call out OcUK for scalping, making money (they are a business). Yet you say you like money, bought a card from OcUK, whine about it, then sell card for more money i.e. doing exactly what they are doing.

Hypocrite.

I was happy to pay the little bit extra to OCUK to secure a card.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder. You are getting yourself awfully worked up about other people making money. Anyway, I am off to play my new Series X I basically got for free from the profits of selling my GPU. Toodle pip.

Back
Top Bottom