Asus Crossfire VIII Dark Hero error code 00

Associate
Hi all

I bought a Dark Hero mobo back in January together with a 5950X CPU and a Bequiet Dark Power Pro 1000 watt PSU. Everything has been fantastic until Sunday when it would not turn on. The LED's were lit on the motherboard but when I tried to turn it on, nothing, no beep, no fans, nothing. I took the GPU out and all but one memory stick and tried again but nothing worked. Reset CMOS using the back button, reset on the board itself, start button, everything. Still not a flicker apart from the glowy LED's on the mobo.

Hmm, PSU might have enough juice to run the LED's but nothing else if it toasted itself. Okay, I bought a new PSU which at least got the fans working and the full LED's on the memory going in synch but nothing on the monitor. Looking at the LED counter display it shows 00 and only 00 and doesn't seem to budge. Looking in the manual it says 00 is not used which is helpful!

So now I am thinking if the PSU died, it may have taken the mobo out with it. Is there anything else I can do to test? Or do I just RMA it and hope I can still get one?

Thanks in advance guys!

Sad Nation

Case: BeQuiet Dark Base 700
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1000 Watt
Motherboard: Asus Crossfire VII Dark Hero
CPU: Ryzen 5950X
Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3090 Aorus Xtreme
Memory: Crucial Ballistix MAX 32 GB Ram DDR 4400
System Drive: Samsung 980 Pro m.2 1TB

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all

I bought a Dark Hero mobo back in January together with a 5950X CPU and a Bequiet Dark Power Pro 1000 watt PSU. Everything has been fantastic until Sunday when it would not turn on. The LED's were lit on the motherboard but when I tried to turn it on, nothing, no beep, no fans, nothing. I took the GPU out and all but one memory stick and tried again but nothing worked. Reset CMOS using the back button, reset on the board itself, start button, everything. Still not a flicker apart from the glowy LED's on the mobo.

Hmm, PSU might have enough juice to run the LED's but nothing else if it toasted itself. Okay, I bought a new PSU which at least got the fans working and the full LED's on the memory going in synch but nothing on the monitor. Looking at the LED counter display it shows 00 and only 00 and doesn't seem to budge. Looking in the manual it says 00 is not used which is helpful!

So now I am thinking if the PSU died, it may have taken the mobo out with it. Is there anything else I can do to test? Or do I just RMA it and hope I can still get one?

Thanks in advance guys!

Sad Nation

Case: BeQuiet Dark Base 700
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1000 Watt
Motherboard: Asus Crossfire VII Dark Hero
CPU: Ryzen 5950X
Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3090 Aorus Xtreme
Memory: Crucial Ballistix MAX 32 GB Ram DDR 4400
System Drive: Samsung 980 Pro m.2 1TB

its looking like either motherboard or CPU, but the motherboard should give some kind of error if it was the CPU ? mine did

I recently had the same issue but got error code on board I have the MSI x570 Unify it ended up being the CPU also you can try flashing the bios via USB

Associate
PSUs have a separate standby power mode, so they can fail to fully power on yet still light up LEDs before you've hit that button.

To test the PSUs ability to fully switch on, you have to do something funny with a multimeter which is probably explained on YouTube, or you do something weird with a paperclip and fan.

Associate
Certainly sounds like an odd problem, did you do anything or change anything before the problems started?

Do you have a friend or relative with a similar system you could swap parts with to diagnose?

My guess though would be motherboard/CPU, hard to say though at this point

Soldato
I have a asus maximus VII Gene, same problem, board is dead. I have tried everything possible but no post. Seems some asus boards are plagued by this error. I had a 4790k and 980Ti in it, using a ITX msi z87i now.

Did you try to clear the BIOS with the button on the back (also removing the battery and mains power at same time) and did you also try to re-flash it with the Flashback feature ? Code 00 is basically the board can't talk to the BIOS or a hardware failure, sometimes the CPU or motherboard.

Most times I have fixed boards with 00 Q-code it turned out to be the BIOS crashed and needed a reflash if you could do it yourself or a new BIOS chip that you can order and stick back in if removable chips, google this "ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE bios chip" you will see many places to get a new chip and replace it yourself, they should come preflashed too.

Back
Top Bottom