New house - changing the locks

Soldato
I guess it depends on who you're buying the property from. Can't see the wealthy old couple we bought it from being particuarly interested in petty crimes.
But they're exactly the sort of people that would give keys to neighbours. Two of my mum's neighbours have keys for example. My girlfriend's parent's neighbours have keys to their house too.

Associate
I've got numerous keys i've been given for friends and relatives houses. They are all in a big tub along with some keys from old houses. To be honest with you, I haven't a flipping clue which is for which house!

Needless to say I don't change my locks when I move as I doubt anyone else knows what the random keys in their draw are for either!

Soldato
Not a problem. We've got good neighbours.
And what happens if they get broken into and the burglars find your keys?

I'm not saying all of this is unlikely, but the mind boggles that people spend £hundreds on fancy security but wouldn't spend £50 or so changing the locks.

Soldato

I'm not saying all of this is unlikely, but the mind boggles that people spend £hundreds on fancy security but wouldn't spend £50 or so changing the locks.
I don't really see the lock on the front door as the main point of entry to a burglar. I have cameras all round my house. I'd 'expect' a burglar to try to enter through one of the side doors or smash a window.

I'm sure I'll change them at some point. It's just not something I'd be massively concerned about when first moving in.

Fixing the boiler, the leaking roof, stop tap and radiator valves was higher up in my list.

Caporegime

Because chances are nobody else has a copy of the keys and if they do they don't have a clue where it is for.

I'd say my main concern is patio doors. Someone would just take a hammer to the glass and they are in.

Again let's say someone does have a key. They need to get past all the cameras. They need to get past my smart alarm system too.

Changing the locks wouldn't make my home any securer than it already is. I'll likely change the door at some point same goes for back and I'll be converting the garage next year so likley get it all done then.

All the break ins happening in my area have the same MO. 2 cars enter estate. A single person gets dropped off from first car and he goes up and rings doorbell to make sure nobody is home. Then second car gets the go ahead to drop off 4 more guys and they all go round the back and just smash their way in. The 2 cars are lookouts as well as getaway vehicles. They are in and out of the house within 2 minutes they are only after cash and jewellery. They aren't nicking TV's, pcs, consoles, etc small readies that are untraceable if there is no cash or jewellery they leave with nothing they don't just grab a TV because it's nice, etc. These guys aren't using keys or lockpicks it's a straight up brick through the back door or window.

It's a gypsy gang that is moving from area to area and once they hit a house and get a good turn they remember that house and next time they are in that area again 6-18 months later they hit it again because they know they keep cash and jewellery around.

Soldato
Changing the locks wouldn't make my home any securer than it already is.
Yawn. We're not talking about your house ffs. We're talking about changing the locks on a house right after you move in. On day one of living in your new house you didn't know who had keys to the front door. The cheapest, quickest and most logical belt-and-braces thing to do would be to change the locks for peace of mind. End of story. End of argument. No-one cares about your estate or your mate's "mansion" or how much you know about how thieves operate in your area. Sheesh lord almighty :rolleyes:

Associate
This thread has just spurred to me to measure up the main door locks (thanksfully all Euro) into the house. Only bought on Tues and not living there yet, but £150 ish to replace all locks to 3 star rating euro, to potentially stop my valuables being stolen in the future, feels like a VERY good deal!

Caporegime
Didn't do. Wouldn't do it again.

I can see the logic if you are a bit paranoid or moving into a rough area,
Buying an ex rental etc.

Associate
If they are Euro cylinders its a 5 minute job yourself. Even my mum, who is 76, managed to remove, order from Amazon and fit a Eurocylinder on her own, with a little help from youtube. As a word of caution, we moved into a small development and found out the eurocylinders on our house and the neighbours were all the same, front an rear. We found out when our neighbour lost their patio keys and asked if they could check if ours fitted, I said they wouldnt fit, but they tried and it opened their patio doors. All the locks got changed the next day!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Never ever considered this...that said i have never bought a house (to live in) which had doors good enough to keep using :p

Associate
A no brainer in my eyes. I didn't get the locksmiths on day one, had a few days to decorate so nowt to pinch, got the locks changed before moving valuables over.

Okay its another cost and not cheap, for peace of mind and I know who has keys. If someone really wants to break in, just like a car, they will steal and there is not much you can do.

Associate
Somewhat related, when I went to uni, they gave a little tag with everyone's student flat keys.

The vast majority of students thought it was a great idea to put their flat address on that tag in case they lost the keys so that they could be returned.

I couldn't even convince a lot of them about how big a security risk that was, because it was also some cool trend that everyone else was doing, so obviously I was the crazy wrong guy pointing out that they would end up being burgled if their keys were found with the address on them.

Soldato
Changed all on the current house and will do all of them again on the next one.
Not that either are in a bad area or have bad neighbors, I'd just rather eliminate the unknown factor.
The fact that it costs so little to do makes it an even easier decision.

Associate
If someone did have a key to your property and they used said key to come into your house and nick a bunch of stuff/damage items - imagine what your insurance company would say if you tried to claim, pretty sure they would want to see evidence of a break-in, or at least see evidence you had tried to properly secure your property.

Man of Honour
You lot are mad. We're completing in a few weeks and have a locksmith booked in for the morning after. Would have gone for the same day but unsure when we'll get the keys etc. The funny thing is on our long list of renovations we'll obviously be replacing the door, but for peace of mind it's so worth getting the locks changed for the interim. It's only costing £170 I think.

For our house it's worth it especially because it was a rental... Who knows if tenants made copies and have them away to their friends like candy for example. EDIT: Not picking on tenants as I am one! Who knows if the landlords gave copies to their neighbours?

One of our friends was saying you should have a few tradies that you TRUST on speed dial in case of emergencies. One being a plumber, another being a locksmith. There's lots of unscrupulous ones that will come round and fix a lock for £50, but then tell you they have to come back to fix it properly tomorrow for an extra £300 or something. I can't remember exactly but you get my point.
Assuming you have the keys for the existing locks, why do you need a locksmith? Measure locks, get replacements from Screwfix and it's literally two minutes (one screw) to change each lock.

Back
Top Bottom