Stuttering/micro-stutter when scrolling in a browser

Soldato
Poor scrolling while displaying video is a known nvidia bug. Seems more of an issue on the newer architectures. Probably some driver issue they can't be arsed to look at.

For now you could try setting the power management mode in the Nvidia control panel to something other than "optimal" (then reboot). That may reduce the stutters while browsing.

Associate
OP
Poor scrolling while displaying video is a known nvidia bug. Seems more of an issue on the newer architectures. Probably some driver issue they can't be arsed to look at.

For now you could try setting the power management mode in the Nvidia control panel to something other than "optimal" (then reboot). That may reduce the stutters while browsing.
That helped. I hadnt done a reboot after swapping between the modes last time. Although it's not an ideal solution as I only seem to have "Normal" and "Prefer maximum performance"? Hopefully it gets fixed.

Associate
"Maybe upgrade to a 3090 :p!" - That's only required for Solitaire we know that ;)

Strange, I've also only got "Normal" and "Prefer maximum performance" in NVCP, has 'Optimal' disappeared?

Associate
Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm curious if gpu core/mem clockspeed transition from idle clockspeed to low level 3d clockspeed is causing the stutter..

It kinda works like this with my 2080ti :

- I launch any web browser that uses smooth scrolling
- I start scrolling the webpage
- I stop scrolling to read the web page
- If approx 3 or more seconds has passed since I last scrolled, the nvidia card will reduce in speed and eventually idle at 300mhz core/101mhz mem, as there is no activity on screen
- I scroll the page to read further
- As soon as the screen moves, the first scroll of the mouse, the nvidia clockspeeds instantly boosts all the way up to 1350mhz core/1750mhz mem (big jump in speed) as the gpu is now being utilised
- There is a stutter when the card boosts from 300/101 to 1350/1750 :(
- After a few seconds, the gpu and mem clock speeds will gradually reduce in speed
- And this continues to happen each time I stop scrolling, wait 3 or more seconds, then scroll again.. Annoying!

I have observed this same activity in the xbox app and the microsoft store. In both of these apps, after 2-3 seconds of scrolling inactivity, I scroll the page and instead of a stutter, the framerate appears to drop to 1/2 or 1/4 for a second or two.

Run gpu-z in the background (or any other app that monitors gpu speed) and monitor the clockspeed of your gpu core + mem, does the gpu clock and memory clock spike when each stutter occurs?
I switched off smooth scrolling in each web browser - that had it enabled by default, as random stuttering annoyed me too much. There is another workaround for nvidia users (not sure for Ati), and that is to set each app to prefer maximum performance power plan in the nvidia control panel, this stops the clockspeeds from fluctuating after a period of inactivity, and stops the stuttering/slowdowns.

Associate
I’ve come across this scrolling when videos are playing lag in MS Edge with a MSI 1660 Super Ventus card.

I’ve got 2 systems, Ryzen 3600XT on a B550 board and an Intel i3 10th Gen on a B460 board. The problem transfers to both systems so it points to issues with the card. If I put in my old 750 ti card and a really basic 710 job into both systems all the scrolling issues disappear.

Tried all sorts of settings in the nvidia control panel and hardware acceleration in the browser but can’t find a cure.

Benchmarks though claim the card is running perfectly .

Soldato
Try using Nvidia Profile Inspector and Set CUDA - Force P2 State Off.

Can also try toggling the state of media foundation flags in edge://flags

Another thing to test is to install the enhanced-h264ify addon and disable all codecs but h264.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Some combinations of programs which use hardware acceleration don't play nice especially with G-Sync window mode in the mix - for me Spotify + Firefox can be problematic and some older versions of Samsung Magician or Creative SoundBlaster/Connect software.

Associate
Cool, will give that a try too.

I’ve had some success in rectifying the issue by changing the chrome flag “ANGLE Graphics Backend” to D3D9.

The strange lag with websites with playing videos, ie BBC news, YouTube, in MS Edge clears up on the 1660 on the Intel system. Not tried it on the AMD one.

Back
Top Bottom