AdBlock doesn't work anymore on youtube?

Associate
I have this from time to time, It works perfectly fine foes MONTHS and then for about a week i get ads. Very strange but oh well.

Edit: Same thing happens for Twitch.

Associate
Seeing a button for "Skip Ads" at the start of most of the videos i am watching now, addblock on chrome.
Only need to click it and it goes straight to the video though so i am not overly bothered but something has changed.

Associate
I'm currently using UBlock Origin, UBlock Origin Extra and recently put a pi-hole in.

All works fine - pi-hole blocks at DNS level and UBlock Origin sorts out pretty much everything else.

Only downside is Youtube ads on mobile/tablet which I don't think I can do much about without rooting them, which I'd prefer not to :D

Associate
Switch to Ublock Origin (not Ublock)

Thought I'd return to share my experiences with Ublock. And it not working right on Youtube still. Thanks for clarifying, I've installed the origin version now and will give it a go. Thanks

As for Youtube ads on android. I use Youtube Vanced. It doesn't need a rooted phone. Download the APK from their site. Theyve recently updated it so its like a little app store just for Youtube Vanced, which keeps it up to date. Me and several friends have been using it for some time without issue. Also allows you to play videos with screen locked and in PIP mode. Like premium does.

Soldato
I tried to test then remembered I had Premium.

I'm currently using UBlock Origin, UBlock Origin Extra and recently put a pi-hole in.

All works fine - pi-hole blocks at DNS level and UBlock Origin sorts out pretty much everything else.

Only downside is Youtube ads on mobile/tablet which I don't think I can do much about without rooting them, which I'd prefer not to :D
Youtube vanced for mobile.

Man of Honour
Seems they've turned the ads up again on YouTube - can barely watch some videos as they interrupt the flow so much (doesn't seem to be intentional by the content creators). 5 ads inside 6 minutes is a bit much.

I've resisted blocking them because I like to see content creators rewarded but only so much I will put up with - not gonna bully me into paying for premium. Getting to the point I will seriously start looking to see if a video exists on another site rather than watch it on YouTube.

EDIT: 13 ads (haphazardly counting the double feature ones) in a 22 minute video is taking the ****.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems they've turned the ads up again on YouTube - can barely watch some videos as they interrupt the flow so much (doesn't seem to be intentional by the content creators). 5 ads inside 6 minutes is a bit much.

I've resisted blocking them because I like to see content creators rewarded but only so much I will put up with - not gonna bully me into paying for premium. Getting to the point I will seriously start looking to see if a video exists on another site rather than watch it on YouTube.

EDIT: 13 ads (haphazardly counting the double feature ones) in a 22 minute video is taking the ****.
Just pay for premium through India and it’s less than £3 for family membership, so the creators still get paid and you don’t see ads.

I honestly couldn’t watch YouTube without it anymore

I tried to test then remembered I had Premium.

Youtube vanced for mobile.

I pair Vanced with Adguard on my tablet and I never see any YT ads.

On my web browsers I use ublock Origin combine with ublock Origin Extra, and it's same story I very rarely see anything I don't want to see.

Also using unrestricted DNS servers based in Europe that are strong on privacy, no logging etc (not saying which ones though).

Last edited:
Soldato
I pair Vanced with Adguard on my tablet and I never see any YT ads.

On my web browsers I use ublock Origin combine with ublock Origin Extra, and it's same story I very rarely see anything I don't want to see.

Also using unrestricted DNS servers based in Europe that are strong on privacy, no logging etc (not saying which ones though).

uBo Extra has been obselete for a good while and no longer needed: https://twitter.com/gorhill/status/1318601650567860227

Man of Honour
Just pay for premium through India and it’s less than £3 for family membership, so the creators still get paid and you don’t see ads.

I honestly couldn’t watch YouTube without it anymore

Not paying for it on principle - given the sudden increase in ads for premium so your videos aren't interrupted paired with an increase in disruptive ads they are obviously trying to push people to premium...

Associate
Another vote for uBlock origin. Made the switch when AdBlock thought it would be a great idea to allow advertisers to pay them to be on a default whitelist :rolleyes:

V F

V F

Soldato

I usually get two ads at the start, then can be 5 to 30 second later another ad. Or worse, as the video ends another ad. Some it's every two minutes.

This is way worse than TV but I get so many ads because of the Youtube app on iOS. Sometimes you feel like yelling I just want to watch this god damn thing! Or you get many double forced ads you cannot skip now. I'm seeing forced 45 seconds to 1 minute ads now before the second kicks in to skip. If the second lets you skip. Most times not now.

Soldato
ublock for PC and vanced for android.
I had to switch to ublock when that stupid thing kept happening at the start of videos with a white screen where the ad kind of semi loaded.

Back
Top Bottom