when did the sass happen?

Soldato
when and why?

i remember back in the good old days you watch the disney cartoons like snow white, cinderella, dumbo etc and its all sensible talking etc etc.

these days its all sassy back chat chav talk crap like: "whatever" or "is this really happening right now", " are we doing this right now" etc etc

using disney as an example i think it was when the og tarzan cartoon came out when the talk style changed but meh this is just something iv been pondering for the last 10 years.
is it just me on this?

Man of Honour
It's the lingo the youth these days understand. Back then we spoke properly, or had to or get chased with a slipper or made to stand in the corner and we were unable to cause an uproar about it on social media because it didn't exist in the 90s :D

Caporegime
I know exactly what you mean. Just seems to be part of the continual chase to appeal to the lowest common denominator instead of attempting to raise standards. In this case applying to language.

Soldato
I'd like to know why ALL female characters are smart and strong while 90% of male characters are either idiots or evil. I never really noticed before I started watching these with my son. Not a bad deal for my daughter tho!

Soldato
I'd like to know why ALL female characters are smart and strong while 90% of male characters are either idiots or evil. I never really noticed before I started watching these with my son. Not a bad deal for my daughter tho!
Now start paying attention to TV adverts. :rolleyes:

Associate
100% noticed this phenomenon since the late 90's I call it Chandlerisation as Chandler from Friends seems to be the big influence for sassy, smart talking action heroes and other characters.

I don't WTF happened to the Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson style of quiet heroes, but I much prefer that style to everyone in Marvel movies being laden with sarcastic one liners and cracking jokes while fighting.

Noticed this in video games too, almost any game with Nolan North as the hero is a wise cracking, dude bro with frat boy style inflection, annoying as ****.

Arnie would makes jokes in action movies but they were so bad and clumsy sounding that they had their own charm and became a tradition, one second in a movie, not the whole character being a stand up comic.

Some actors like Robert Downey Jr can pull off that style through personal charm, but most can't at all and it just comes off as so lame and hackneyed now.

Soldato
The earlier Marvel movies were ok, but they got cringy.

It started to creep in to Starwars as well though since Disney bought it :(

Soldato
Kids cartoons and childrens TV at least the American stuff is far too sassy. My daughters are talking back like teenagers in Disney shows and it is blinkin annoying. I'm on SkyQ and you can't block individual channels because if I could a load of Disney crap would be binned.

Caporegime
Sussy bakas in here tbh.

Seriously though I think the main reason is that people are constantly in need of attention and validation that annoying people is seen as the fastest route to achieving that. Beyond that there's the in/out groups, echo chambers, peer pressure and so forth that incentivises it. Oh and natural evolution of language as well.

Last edited:
Associate
when and why?

i remember back in the good old days you watch the disney cartoons like snow white, cinderella, dumbo etc and its all sensible talking etc etc.

these days its all sassy back chat chav talk crap like: "whatever" or "is this really happening right now", " are we doing this right now" etc etc

using disney as an example i think it was when the og tarzan cartoon came out when the talk style changed but meh this is just something iv been pondering for the last 10 years.
is it just me on this?
I remember a time when people knew how to use capital letters at start of sentences. Despair for the youth of today. :confused:

Seriously though, language changes with the times. Shakespeare's use of language was revolutionary at the time.

Soldato

Remember hearing somewhere an observation that the reason why the bad guy in a lot of films is either English, German, or Russian is because Hollywood distrusts intelligence :p

Caporegime
Arguably you could say it dates back to the days of the IBM mainframes, but really I guess SaaS took off when fast internet access was easily available. It makes sense from the vendor's perspective as rather than sell you a one-off licence they get ongoing revenue from you that can greatly increase their earnings. It's also useful in that upgrades are more seamless, they don't need to worry about maintaining old versions of software.

As everyone knows, IBM is staffed exclusively by gay people who love SaaS so much that they named their manner of speaking after it.

Disney doesn't want you to own some of their new content, they want to re-sell it to you multiple times, they've adopted the use of SasS in the dialogue as a homage to all the gay staff at IBM who started this whole thing.

Soldato
Arguably you could say it dates back to the days of the IBM mainframes, but really I guess SaaS took off when fast internet access was easily available. It makes sense from the vendor's perspective as rather than sell you a one-off licence they get ongoing revenue from you that can greatly increase their earnings. It's also useful in that upgrades are more seamless, they don't need to worry about maintaining old versions of software.

As everyone knows, IBM is staffed exclusively by gay people who love SaaS so much that they named their manner of speaking after it.

Disney doesn't want you to own some of their new content, they want to re-sell it to you multiple times, they've adopted the use of SasS in the dialogue as a homage to all the gay staff at IBM who started this whole thing.

You do know someone, somewhere is going to believe every word of that and get all angry?

Keep up the good work!

Commissario
It's just movies changing with the times, nothing new there.

We don't all speak like they did in 1940's movies do we?
One should always pursue the correct use of language old chap.

Pip pip tally ho and all that.

Slightly more seriously, I think you've hit the nail on the head, language has changed, the normal behaviour of women and girls and the attitudes to them have changed.
A lot of the "sass" was always there in some films, but the language is more obvious, whilst we've accepted that women don't just have to be docile housewives of princesses in need of a rescue but in the mean time are quite happy cooking and cleaning so the female characters are now more active in moving the story along.

Back
Top Bottom