• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Graphics cards do you regret buying?

Soldato
A few years back I bought an nVidia 730 thinking it would be better than the onboard graphics of an old i5 workstation. I was wrong.

Swapped it for a 1050ti for a massive performance increase.

Soldato
Radeon Vega 64. Never ran right in my system, constant crashes and driver issues. RMA’d it, but no fault found. Gave it to a mate who never had a problem with it and gave me £300 for it.

Replaced it with Vega 56 which has run flawlessly since install.

Associate
For me it was a mobile card, the GTX 480m. A GPU so hot and leaky it had no business being put into a laptop, you essentially needed two power adapters to avoid shut downs at high load on the few latpop models (I think Clevo/Sager and derivatives and maybe a small number of AWs were the only models that sported it). It was so bad nVidia replaced with a revised, cooler chip, the 485m, literally months after the 480m was released.

FX5600 was bad, but it wasn't that bad. I had one and it played current games adequately to well. Its problem was it was noisier than other cards, and importantly, it was completely blown out of the water by the 9700.

Associate
For me it was a mobile card, the GTX 480m. A GPU so hot and leaky it had no business being put into a laptop, you essentially needed two power adapters to avoid shut downs at high load on the few latpop models (I think Clevo/Sager and derivatives and maybe a small number of AWs were the only models that sported it). It was so bad nVidia replaced with a revised, cooler chip, the 485m, literally months after the 480m was released.

FX5600 was bad, but it wasn't that bad. I had one and it played current games adequately to well. Its problem was it was noisier than other cards, and importantly, it was completely blown out of the water by the 9700.

Same with Radeon VII. It was a decent performer for the time, albeit hot and unstable in some circumstances. It got a bad wrap.

Associate
None, I did the research before buying and got the card I needed at the time to do the job I wanted it too, I mean at one point I had SLi GTX 480, they was fantastic for heating the office, but no regrets !:D

Associate
FX5200 256mb and fx5800U. The first was a mistake due to lack of knowledge (it had 256mb! I thought that meant it was good), the second a mistake of trusting that nvidia was still best. After that it was a vanilla 6800 128mb, and that was like night and day. I had almost completely forgotten that dark part of my PC history. In fact it was only post nvidia 6800 that I really got into PC building and gaming.

Man of Honour
The only one I can remember that I regretted was the (Hercules 3D Prophet) geforce 3 ti 500. After that everything has been perfectly good and I even bought a Radeon 7 :)

Associate
2nd 7800 gtx. Got it 2nd hand to extend the life of my system with SLi. Even then SLi was not amazing and i ended up upgrading to 8800GT not too long afterwards

Associate
Just the Radeon X800 pro, and I only regretted that really because I wasn't playing PC games at the time and never really put it to good use.

Mostly due to the various consoles in the next room hooked up to a projector.

Back
Top Bottom