Calculating Remaining Holiday Entitlement

Soldato
Hi All,

wondered if someone could help me here as my workings out and the gov.uk workings out seem to be different.

i work 5 days a week
i get 25 days holiday + bank holidays

i accrue 2.08 days holiday a month??? (25/12 = 2.08)
my holiday year runs from jan 1st - dec 31st

im leaving my current job on the 30th July (last working day of July)

so by my calcs i would have accrued 14days holiday

the gov.uk website says i would have accrued 16.2 days (which can include bank holidays) the calculator doesnt seem to taken into account how many holidays you get a year.

i have taken 10 days holiday (and we've had 5 bank holidays) so am i only owed 1 day based on the gov.uk site or am i owed 4 days (14 accrued - 10 taken)?

hopefully all the above makes sense?

Permabanned
depends how they work it out .. bog standard is .. you get 28 days a yr no such thing as b/h anymore unless there in your contract . so thats 2.3 days a month :)

just ran thru this Outcome - Calculate holiday entitlement - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) .
and got this The statutory holiday entitlement is 9.4 days holiday.
thats from april to end of july .. so your going to owe them money

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe unless you're contracted to work bank holidays, they're effectively nulled when working out holiday entitlement. So you should it should be based on 14 days accrued - 10 days used.

This is how we work out holiday entitlement at work. Bank holidays are a given, so they're not used as part of your entitlement.

Soldato
OP
depends how they work it out .. bog standard is .. you get 28 days a yr no such thing as b/h anymore unless there in your contract . so thats 2.3 days a month :)

just ran thru this Outcome - Calculate holiday entitlement - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) .
and got this The statutory holiday entitlement is 9.4 days holiday.
thats from april to end of july .. so your going to owe them money

I’ve worked from Jan - end of July so when I put that into the calc it gives me 16.2 days.

I get 33 holidays a year including The bank holidays.

I believe unless you're contracted to work bank holidays, they're effectively nulled when working out holiday entitlement. So you should it should be based on 14 days accrued - 10 days used.

This is how we work out holiday entitlement at work. Bank holidays are a given, so they're not used as part of your entitlement.

That’s how I’m hoping it’s worked out.

Soldato
OP
When I ran a payroll function, we calculated accrued holiday including bank holidays. So you'd have accrued 19.25. 5 would have been taken as BH, so 14.25 left.

that seems how I’m working it out. The gov.Uk site is working it out on 28 days rather than the 33 I’m getting.

Soldato
The gov.uk calculator is only calculating based on statutory entitlement (28 inc BH). You get more than that (33 inc BH). So your numbers will be different, in line with @cheesyboy above depending on whether you're looking for an including or excluding BH amount.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately these calcs vary a bit between organisation, for example some places have a cut off date within the month you need to hit to accrue that month's leave. One place I was planning to leave on Friday 19th but after disputing holiday allowance with them I discovered that if I worked until the 24th I got an extra 2 days holiday. So I told them I'd leave on the 24th instead (obviously didn't work the 22-24th, just used holiday for that). No difference to the actual date I finished work, I just got paid more money.

In this situation I would work on the basis that you will effectively worked 7/12ths of the year and then would be entitled to 7/12*25 days holiday = 14.5 days. However this is on the approach where bank holidays are nulled, if that's not the case then you might lose out due to the disproportionately large number of bank holidays in the first half of the year.

This is a rule of thumb based on calendar months but if the calculation is done based on the proportion of working days then it could be subtly different.
As a random aside I've always found it interesting how annual salary is usually paid the same each month regardless of how many working days there are. So you get paid the same whether you worked 20 days or 23. This seems a bit odd and kind of means that the worst time to leave a job (if you aren't taking another job) is end of January because you are missing out on a 'easy' wedge of 1/12th salary for just 20 days days work if you stayed through February. In my mind it would be better if monthly salary was paid based on number of working days in the month divided by number of working days in the year multiplied by salary. So assuming 8 bank holidays that would be e.g. 20/252*salary for February.

Back
Top Bottom