• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 - Potential Scam...

Associate
Hi guys,

Wonder what you thought of this. I bought a 3090 as pictured brand new on the bay as needed one quite urgently, but when it turned up I am suspecting signs of mild use but its hard to tell. I've got the receipt which does say it is only 3 weeks old but wondered what you thought from the pic? The part numbers match in all the photos etc, so its definitely the same card. Reckon its been fitted previously? Looking mainly around the central area of the fan, seems to have some scuff/dust type marks. Bit annoying :)

Advert:

Card Fan:

Associate
If advert described the item as new / factory sealed with all intact then you could dispute. Sold 'as new' for an opened item and possibly tested by the seller to ensure good working order is probably fine. If the card works then I wouldn't be worried. Main concern would be what warranty (if any) you have on such a card via the seller...

Man of Honour
I've had brand new sealed cards from retailers that have a tiny bit of dust and a little scuff on them. If you didn't have the proof of purchase showing that it's only 3 weeks old, I'd be more concerned, but with that in hand I wouldn't worry.

Caporegime
I'd be more worried at the lack of warranty than the little bit of dust. I'm not sure I'd ever be brave enough to buy something high value off eBay unless it was from a legit store's eBay page.

Associate
It looks used.......however.....you can either send it back as not as described and get your money back.....or if its working correctly and your happy with it in your PC, then just keep it and enjoy your 3090. As you have said, you 'needed one quite urgently'.

Of course its entirely up to you....

Soldato
They may live a dusty place, or maybe used for mining running 24/7, who knows. It's like buying a supercar with one lady owner. Rarely the truth is listed would have thought most 3090,3080 cards on bay used for mining,long as doesn't affect performance,you should be fine

Associate
If you needed the GPU so urgently, why are you bothered by a bit of dust?

As long as the thing works perfectly, Id move on and use the card whatever you needed it for.

Your options are simple:
1.) try to dispute with seller and send the card back for a refund, then try to buy a different one.
2.) Keep the card

Personally if your happy buying cards from the bay, not sure why a little bit of dust is bothering you as long as it works perfectly.

Associate
As long as it works and has no actual damage to the card i would be happy with it, similar to what Zefan said i have also had brand new products from retailers sealed and there has been dust/fingerprints or no plastic peel on the GPU. Don't get me wrong it is annoying when you buy a new product but as long as it works (that's what counts).

Soldato
How would the warranty work buying from private sellers if needed ?, reading on the original site where FE are sold its none transferable guess original purchaser would have to do it . I wouldnt buy from scalpers anyway and thats another reason I wouldnt either

Associate
How would the warranty work buying from private sellers if needed ?, reading on the original site where FE are sold its none transferable guess original purchaser would have to do it . I wouldnt buy from scalpers anyway and thats another reason I wouldnt either
the basic answer is you have no warranty

Associate
You would need to ask the scalper to submit a claim on your behalf lol.

Soldato
The main thing I'd be worried about is whether it comes with a warranty? Was it a private seller or a reputable business? If it's a proper business then hopefully it's got full warranty but if it's a private seller then I'm not sure if the warranty is transferable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great clickbait thread title.

Maybe opened, checked over and possibly tested. Depending how much was spent on it I'd probably not be too fussed.

Even if it was mined for 3 weeks, is that so bad? I don't know, just throwing a question out there.

Soldato
Great clickbait thread title.

Maybe opened, checked over and possibly tested. Depending how much was spent on it I'd probably not be too fussed.

Even if it was mined for 3 weeks, is that so bad?
I don't know, just throwing a question out there.
Exactly as long as it works it should be fine

Back
Top Bottom