Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
I'm up for grabbing one of these but the left thumb stick positioning concerns me...

Trying to visualise it and I think that you would need to pull your index finger back a bit which would become uncomfortable, quickly.

Personally I will wait for reviews.

Edit: left index finger for shoulder buttons etc

Soldato
This is interesting. I wonder how easy it will be to get the Microsoft store and others on there. I also wonder what the performance will be with something like gtav.

A tear down will also be interesting. I wonder if there is a slot in the 64GB one for an NVME that could be filed with an aftermarket upgrade

Soldato
I have a Nintendo switch but I primarily bought it to play docked and only really for Nintendo first party titles which aren't available elsewhere. The fact it's portable is just an added bonus really.

So the idea of a handheld PC doesn't appeal that much to me personally. The steam deck looks a bit heavy, lacking ergonomically and unwieldy for carrying around IMO.

However, one thing I do like about the steam deck is the idea that it could create a minimum spec that PC game developers could aim for and potentially create a base/standard spec for PC gaming at 720p/1080p.

Hopefully it encourages laptop manufacturers to implement similar specs in their thin/light devices so they can run any game that is playable on a steam deck.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Nintendo switch but I primarily bought it to play docked and only really for Nintendo first party titles which aren't available elsewhere. The fact it's portable is just an added bonus really.

So the idea of a handheld PC doesn't appeal that much to me personally. The steam deck looks a bit heavy, lacking ergonomically and unwieldy for carrying around IMO.

However, one thing I do like about the steam deck is the idea that it could create a minimum spec that PC game developers could aim for and potentially create a base/standard spec for PC gaming at 720p/1080p.

Hopefully it encourages laptop manufacturers to implement similar specs in their thin/light devices so they can run any game that is playable on a steam deck.

With regard ergonomics...

If you use the left d-pad for say Streetfighter for instance the base of your left index finger is already on the left shoulder buttons making them pretty useless. I think there are some more buttons for this on the underside of the machine for this but that's an unnatural position.

I have a Switch that mainly gets used docked with BT pads so the Steam Deck obviously can be used in the same fashion. But I see it being a struggle to use undocked for games that need the left shoulder buttons.

I will still get one though no doubt!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'd like to see them produce a dock with a ~6TF GPU in it for this.
That then essentially becomes a PC consoles. Basically an open Xbox :)

If done cheap would be good, but can’t see that happening. Rather just use my PC for that and use this for playing games on the go.

On my email it says 6:10 for my order so hopefully I get it in 6 months time. Really want to install and test old games on it.

Soldato
Thought I'd missed this as I was practically AFK for almost a week.

Stuck a pre-order in for the 512GB this morning, Q3 2022. Lol, got plenty of time to figure out if it will be worth it.

Man of Honour
That then essentially becomes a PC consoles. Basically an open Xbox :)

If done cheap would be good, but can’t see that happening. Rather just use my PC for that and use this for playing games on the go.

On my email it says 6:10 for my order so hopefully I get it in 6 months time. Really want to install and test old games on it.

Sure, you already spent thousands on a gaming PC.

For those without one having a mid range GPU in the dock gives them 95% of the home PC experience and a great portable for under £800.

Associate
with new orders currently having a 2022 Q3 release so almost a year from now how many reservations do we think valve have had for the steam deck ?

Soldato
Thought I'd missed this as I was practically AFK for almost a week.

Stuck a pre-order in for the 512GB this morning, Q3 2022. Lol, got plenty of time to figure out if it will be worth it.

I think a lot of people will pre-order and not go through with it so you'll move up the list so to speak a bit quicker.

Will be interesting when the payment requests start to filter through when available. I was quite seamless with the Index I found and you had a 2 week window from memory to make the payment.

Associate
The numbers are regularly updated on Twitter.

i haven't seen any numbers on twitter care to share what numbers you've seen ?

just googled and i've seen the latest numbers i assumed with the amount of problems the site was having yesterday it would be multiple hundreds of thousands hmm

Soldato
Why should I get one of these.....

Which version are most of you folks getting?

Looks like availability of the 512GB version wont be till late 2022 compared to the standard version early 2022?

Man of Honour
Why should I get one of these.....

Which version are most of you folks getting?

Looks like availability of the 512GB version wont be till late 2022 compared to the standard version early 2022?

If you have to ask then it’s probably not for you.

I’m getting the 512GB version for portable game pass, epic free games, and my steam library. Streaming even in perfect conditions just sucks for video games.

Soldato
If you have to ask then it’s probably not for you.

I’m getting the 512GB version for portable game pass. Streaming even in perfect conditions just sucks for video games.

Indeed K. I would like to have one but dont need one as far as I can think really.
Only real reason I would want one is on long business flights....and... well... theyre about as scarce as the semiconductors at the moment.

Infact... why the hell am I getting the OLED switch if I am using it mostly docked :S
Consumers are really spoiled for choice today...

Man of Honour
Indeed K. I would like to have one but dont need one as far as I can think really.
Only real reason I would want one is on long business flights....and... well... theyre about as scarce as the semiconductors at the moment.

Infact... why the hell am I getting the OLED switch if I am using it mostly docked :S
Consumers are really spoiled for choice today...

I'm getting one because I have kids, which is starting to include lots of waiting around while they do various clubs and activities. I think this is why people say kids are expensive, all the purchases parents make for themselves :p

Associate
With the USB 3.2 port, going to look for a small USB stick and add another 256 if needed.

Not every game will need the NVME. Also SD card for running emulators.

Soldato
I'm getting one because I have kids, which is starting to include lots of waiting around while they do various clubs and activities. I think this is why people say kids are expensive, all the purchases parents make for themselves :p

:p Fair comment.

With the USB 3.2 port, going to look for a small USB stick and add another 256 if needed.

Not every game will need the NVME. Also SD card for running emulators.

.... why do I still have the itch to get this thing...

Back
Top Bottom