Plumbing problem, ideas most welcome.

Soldato
We have a problem in that even when the hot water heating part is turned off the rads still get warm. The plumber has replaced the mid position valve with no effect and he is baffled.

Soldato
If the hot water is off, then the heating may still be on? What sort of system is it? Do you have any electric immersion heaters in the loop?

Associate
You definitely need a better plumber, if this has baffled him.

You obviously have a HW cylinder and a single zone for radiators. I assume the boiler is firing even with both HW and heating turned off at the programmer? I'd start by checking the programmer first to see if it is sending voltage to either HW or CH even when turned off.

Caporegime
Could be like my first flat I rented where my electric meter was actually my neighbors and mine connected to....... nothing.

Damn cheap electric we got for a year. She was in her 80s and barely used 1 lightbulb :p

Maybe your heating is being warmed elsewhere....

Soldato
OP
There was some odd routing of pipes which turns out to be DIY by the previous occupant, the plumber has now done some more conventional re-routing of pipes and now all the rads stay cold when the hot water is turned on.........except for one. We're going to let things be at the moment.
I don't need a new plumber thank you, he's shown great ingenuity since we bought the house 6 years in dealing with inept plumbing DIY by the previous occupant but occasionally odd things surface which need rectification.
Thanks for the replies.

Associate
Ok, so the plumber was not baffled then, it seems. That's good he's made progress.

If the radiators are getting warm/hot only when HW is on (this is not what you said in your original post - or not what I understood from it anyway), then this is usually down to the HW not being the last tee on the return. Common problem and a quick google will show you why this can result in reverse circulation through radiators.

Soldato
OP
Ok, so the plumber was not baffled then, it seems. That's good he's made progress.

If the radiators are getting warm/hot only when HW is on (this is not what you said in your original post - or not what I understood from it anyway), then this is usually down to the HW not being the last tee on the return. Common problem and a quick google will show you why this can result in reverse circulation through radiators.
Thanks for that, I'll pass this on.

Back
Top Bottom