• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3070 TI arrived but looks opened and box was 'banged up'. Can someone help verify?

Soldato
Looks normal to me, I've bought a few new boards lately and none of them came wrapped (the box) you could just open it, but the board itself was wrapped with that tape, maybe it's what they do now to make sure it's all there before sending it I don't know.

Man of Honour
All you had to do is go to the cards web page on OCUK here and look at the pictures, especially the third one and you would see the back of the card is supposed to look like that. Reviews would have shown it as well. Also in what way is that box "banged up"? What a drama queen.

Associate
It's the mounting bracket for the included cooler on the card, it's there to maintain adequate pressure between the cooler and the GPU die so that it can efficiently transfer the heat to the cooler. You can get brackets to mount an all in one (asetek usually) cooler to the front of the card.

The first such mount I was aware of was the NZXT G10: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt...fd4f5ea62b3-1627419630-0-gqNtZGzNAk2jcnBszRFi

I get that it looks similar to the intel cooler mounting, but that's because it serves the same purpose (pressure). Many cards have back-plates that cover this area but will have something similar underneath, back-plates that leave that area exposed are a recent design choice that a lot of brands are using, it may be that leaving it open allows passive heat dissipation from the chips on the back of the card, but it won't be much!

Thanks for the info. I've never seen such a cooler before and now I am interested, but it does beg the question, why another air cooler to replace an aircooler. If you aren't putting it under water it seems a bit pointless.

Soldato
Is that not what that slot is for at the back? I don't have one on my card, but it looks exactly like an Intel mounting bracket for a CPU cooler. If that's not what it's for I apologise for misleading there.

It's a space left so when you power up the pc you can test with your tongue if the power is getting to the gpu, you know like when you test a 9v battery on your tongue if it's still good.

Your card doesn't have it because the test point is at the pcie power connectors of the gpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all

Recently purchased a 3070 TI from Overclockers UK but the packaging came a bit banged up and the card seems to have something missing on the back, want to confirm if I need to be concerned about it? I am concerned that the box came looking 'opened' but it could have just been a QA check on their side. Can any 3070 TI owner help me? This is my first 'big card' purchase. I am concerned that someone has stolen a part of my GPU or it has come in a pre-owned condition (bought new from Overclockers)!

This is my first purchase from Overclockers so want to know an 'opened box' (without the seal) is normal. The inside envelope containing the manual was opened too.

https://imgur.com/a/P44K9mD

Your card is fine, had a 3090 version purchased for a work mate of that card and came exactly the same way. Plug it in and enjoy.

Soldato
It doesn't matter anyway does it? Clothing etc can get returned several times before we pay full price for it. I've returned things myself. Why should a shop offer a discount because of my clumsy mistake?

Just install your card and have fun.

Soldato
I was looking for a hole in the anti static bag :confused:... wtf mate.... :cry:

OCD is one of the symptoms of being part of the pc master race it seems ... Yes he sent the pic and I was looking for a removed seal or sticky remains of one.. But the anti static bag is clearly sealed and the shocking part is he purchased a card that he doesn't even know what it looks like or read a single review to show all was normal or google the card for a review to show all was normal.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Permabanned
OCD is one of the symptoms of being part of the pc master race it seems ... Yes he sent the pic and I was looking for a removed seal or sticky remains of one.. But the anti static bag is clearly sealed and the shocking part is he purchased a card that he doesn't even know what it looks like or read a single review to show all was normal or google the card for a review to show all was normal.

tenor.gif

:cry: it's like a lucky dip.

Associate

And it seems he payed £900 for a 3070Ti :cry:

Back
Top Bottom