• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel I5 processor

Associate
I'm a bit gutted at the moment becuase I was going to get my new laptop today but couldn't get it. So I had to follow my own advice and get an alternative (I didn't have a Plan B). The one I'm getting's got an Intel I5 processor but what I want to know is what they're like.

Associate
OP
What model? What did you want instead?
The ASUS TUF F16. I followed my own advice which I give to customers on the Co-op shop floor which was to have a Plan B (back up) or alternative but I had to make do with a cheaper one with the samr processor. I'm trying to keep withon the forum rules of not mentioning competitors and not mention any names but I ordered the alternative (I didn't have a Plan B) and I can pick it up next Tuesday
It's given me something to look foward to and on Monday night I'm having a final shutdown of the one I'm using at the moment.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a bit gutted at the moment becuase I was going to get my new laptop today but couldn't get it. So I had to follow my own advice and get an alternative (I didn't have a Plan B). The one I'm getting's got an Intel I5 processor but what I want to know is what they're like.
If we are talking a recent laptop with a recent gen of i5 then it should be fine.
But for years, mobile was quite different from desktop:
  • i3 was dual core without HT
  • i5 was dual core with HT.
  • i7 was dual core with HT and more turbo, often more cache too.
From Arrrandale (2010) until Broadwell (2015) all i5's were dual core. With Skylake (2016) they started making some quad core i5's but AFAIR, they took the HT away for that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_processors#Mobile_processors

More recently things have finally changed.

Point being: i5 is just a marketing term, you have to tell us the exact model number to get any meaningful opinions.

Soldato
The ASUS TUF F16. I followed my ownadvice which I give to customers on the Co-op shop floor which was to have a Plan B (back up) or alternative but I had to make do with a cheaper one with the samr processor

More important is the screen quality ( color / brightness / contrast etc etc ) How loud is it, is the touchpad / keyboard any good, is it 8 or 16GB RAM.

I5 or I7 i wouldnt worry about so much, if you like the machine then happy result.

I bought an MSI GF63 and the screen was the worst thing ever, the keyboard / touchpad were junk, it was all bad everywhere

Associate
OP
Depends what i5.

If its a 10th or 11th Generation i5 then they are really good.
But will it run:-
DOOM, DOOM ETERNAL (Yes, I HAVE seen the STARS version of SPARTACUS (ALL FOUR SEASONS). If you've also seen the kill sequences in Skyrim, you'll know what I mean about the glory kills and SPARTACUS-Gods Of The Arena/Blood And Sand/Vengeance/War Of The Damned (Come on does anybody on here honestly watch it for the politics, intrigue and back story?)

(EDIT- I forgot to ask whether it'll run Cyberpunk 2077 [I'm more interested in the world it's set in and the technology] but I've heard some bad things about it).

Last edited:
Soldato
But will it run:-
DOOM, DOOM ETERNAL (Yes, I HAVE seen the STARS version of SPARTACUS (ALL FOUR SEASONS). If you've also seen the kill sequences in Skyrim, you'll know what I mean about the glory kills and SPARTACUS-Gods Of The Arena/Blood And Sand/Vengeance/War Of The Damned (Come on does anybody on here honestly watch it for the politics, intrigue and back story?)

What model number Graphics card and i5 and is it 8 or 16 gb RAM. Then i will give you a very rough estimate frame rates for doom eternal hopefully

Associate
OP
What model number Graphics card and i5 and is it 8 or 16 gb RAM. Then i will give you a very rough estimate frame rates for doom eternal hopefully

Does this help:-
LENOVO Series 3 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, GTX 1650, 256 GB SSD

4gb Intel I5l 64 bit 10300H at 120 HZ. I can't due to the rule about mentioning competitors, say where I'm getting it from (I pick it up next Tuesday). I had to get the bloke I was talking too's boss (Not to complain but for confirmation). What I know about the specs of graphics cards and processors can be writtin on the head of a pin but I want to know is wheter it'll let me play my favourite games and other software
I've tried to keep within the rule about hinting at competiors but normally I just pick one out at random and hope for the best.
(Any violation of the rule was unintentional and I'd like to apologise to the mods).
But why can't the manufacturers make their laptops look different as they all look the same and add a few decals and lights?

Soldato
1080p on Doom Eternal on High settings 68 FPS

Medium setting 84 FPS.

It wont be exactly that, it was tested on a very simular spec laptop so wont be far off.

So yes even on Ultra settings it would run that game ok, just turn the shadow quality and water reflection to low and everything else on highest and it would run well i think.

Harder to run games will be more of a challenge and you will need to mess about with settings, turning them lower until it runs well.

It will run older games well

The storage is fast but low amount at 256GB ( you could use external storage though by either making your own with a hard drive / SSD drive and USB 3 external hard drive caddy or buy a pre made one )

Man of Honour
From Arrrandale (2010) until Broadwell (2015) all i5's were dual core. With Skylake (2016) they started making some quad core i5's but AFAIR, they took the HT away for that:

i5s became quad core similar to older desktop i5s but as you said lost the HT, mobile i7s have been quad core + hyper-threading for quite awhile i.e. my 3610QM - which surprisingly still holds up pretty well despite being nearly a decade old.

Associate
i5s became quad core similar to older desktop i5s but as you said lost the HT, mobile i7s have been quad core + hyper-threading for quite awhile i.e. my 3610QM - which surprisingly still holds up pretty well despite being nearly a decade old.
Well, mobile i7 have had the option of quad for a while, but notice that 3610QM has a Q in the name, as would something like the i7 4900MQ which my old laptop (and old ThinkPad T540p) could take and AFAIK was the highest spec socketed mobile as after Haswell mobile became BGA soldered only.
I remember coming across a case of i7 envy when someone noted that this EliteBook 840 G1 was the i7 and not the i5 version they had; I pointed that aside from a bit of extra turbo both were 15W dual core CPUs!

Associate
10300H is a solid CPU, don't worry about it. 4 cores, 8 threads as others have said. Plenty for a laptop
GTX 1650 is basic, but will let you play most games on Medium

Associate
OP
1080p on Doom Eternal on High settings 68 FPS

Medium setting 84 FPS.

It wont be exactly that, it was tested on a very simular spec laptop so wont be far off.

So yes even on Ultra settings it would run that game ok, just turn the shadow quality and water reflection to low and everything else on highest and it would run well i think.

Harder to run games will be more of a challenge and you will need to mess about with settings, turning them lower until it runs well.

It will run older games well

The storage is fast but low amount at 256GB ( you could use external storage though by either making your own with a hard drive / SSD drive and USB 3 external hard drive caddy or buy a pre made one )

I haven't got it yet but will games like SKYRIM/WOLfENSTEIN (THE MACHINE GAMES VERSION) look better and for some reason SKYRIM resuses to lgo past the start up menu on the laptop I'm using now, somebody reckons it might be the processor as I've tried everything and don't trust DOOM (2016 version) to run on it.

I'll let you know how it goes on.

Soldato
I haven't got it yet but will games like SKYRIM/WOLfENSTEIN (THE MACHINE GAMES VERSION) look better and for some reason SKYRIM resuses to lgo past the start up menu on the laptop I'm using now, somebody reckons it might be the processor as I've tried everything and don't trust DOOM (2016 version) to run on it.

I'll let you know how it goes on.

Machine games version. Im not sure what that is sorry

Man of Honour
My i7-4500U is 8yrs old and is 2c4t - you can't read too much into the name from that era, gotta look at the spec.

Machine Games is the developer, they made the newer Wolfenstein games like Old Blood / New Order.
To answer the question a faster CPU will rarely make a game look better, more a case of providing a better framerate in scenarios where it is CPU limited.

edit: That said I did find the New Order RIDICULOUSLY demanding, only game in years I've had drop under 30fps except sandbox stuff like UEBS.

Associate
OP
My i7-4500U is 8yrs old and is 2c4t - you can't read too much into the name from that era, gotta look at the spec.

Machine Games is the developer, they made the newer Wolfenstein games like Old Blood / New Order.
To answer the question a faster CPU will rarely make a game look better, more a case of providing a better framerate in scenarios where it is CPU limited.

edit: That said I did find the New Order RIDICULOUSLY demanding, only game in years I've had drop under 30fps except sandbox stuff like UEBS.

I had no problem running The New Order (is that the one where a ston sub's used as a base or is it the one where it goes through James Bond-Rambo-Indiana Jones as I tend to get confused)
No prizes for guessing why I like it (hint I like the STARS version of SPARTACUS and d'you think people wathc it for the story and politics?).. In one session I had a nazi's brain on the floor and when I play it and am about to shoot one I tell them 'NO HOLSTEN PILS FOR YOU!'

I just assumed that better graphics card=better looking games but what I know about processor and graphics card specs can be written on a pinhead and hopefully I can start playing SKYRIM again as a bloke I was talking to recokons it might be the processor(an INTEL 5 CORE) and SKYRIM used to work all the time but now it REFUSES to get past the start menu.
Still a bit gutted becuase I didn't get the laptop I wanted and I didn' have a plan-B in mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the i5 10300H will be fine and the 1650 is about the minimum GPU I would consider for a gaming laptop. Depends on the price though and what your preferred laptop specs had. At 600 its probably okay but at 700 I think would be looking at a 1660ti.

Associate
OP
I think the i5 10300H will be fine and the 1650 is about the minimum GPU I would consider for a gaming laptop. Depends on the price though and what your preferred laptop specs had. At 600 its probably okay but at 700 I think would be looking at a 1660ti.

seven hundred quid was going to be my absolute limit. I'm also a bit of a creative as well as a gamer (Just think of the possibilities of screengrabs from your favourite games uploaded into photo editing software and what you can do [I've done this myself and I was writing fantasy fiction with DOOM style settings even before I got into DOOM/ELDER SCROLLS]). But to be honest, when I get a new laptop, I pick one out at random and hope for the best but this time I had one in mind (but no back up alternative option). What I want to do is start messing about with screengrabs again but I might as well waityin until I've got my new one . but I
What I'm doing now is just bidning my time over the next four days and i want to get into ELITE DANGEROUS more seriously but there isn't much point in reinstalling games/software now is there?

Back
Top Bottom