Is 5G really worth it?

Man of Honour
I am considering a Samsung S20 FE 4G for £510. But the 5G version is £594. I can't think of a reason why I would need 5G. Is there any killer reason I should consider it? I tend to keep phones a couple of years. Thanks.

Soldato
In response to your title, no. In response to your actual post, for that particular phone you 100% want the 5G variant. This has nothing to do with 5G but the 5G model of the S20 FE comes with the Snapdragon processor which is significantly better than than the Exynos rubbish that’s in the 4G model. This results in better performance and most importantly much better battery life.

**Additional** I just re-read the prices, where is that? Those are awfully expensive. The 5G model is available from Amazon for £469.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am still waiting for good and consistent 4G, it's obviously a step up from 3G, but I find myself having bugger all 4G signal at the time of most need.

Soldato
The ridiculous thing is, if 4G gave us the speeds it is claimed to be capable of, most of us wouldn't need 5G.

I got a 5G capable phone this week, using an EE SIM. Yes the 5G speeds are way higher than 4G (I could limit the SIM to 4G in the settings so can compare). But given that the EE 4G speed for me is many multiples higher then Three's speed that I came from, 5G isn't necessary for me, today anyway. Who knows about tomorrow.

Soldato
I am considering a Samsung S20 FE 4G for £510. But the 5G version is £594. I can't think of a reason why I would need 5G. Is there any killer reason I should consider it? I tend to keep phones a couple of years. Thanks.

At these prices you should be able to get an S21 if you play your cards right!!

Soldato
Only ever had 5g reception once in months of having a 5g phone. Way quicker than 4g but on the whole not worth it, unless you actually live in a 5g area.

This for me too, it's just not around enough to worry about.
4G is pretty fast, unless you want to download something mega, but who needs to do that very often.

Soldato
Ran Oookla Speedtest on my A70 just now on EE 4G indoors - 125Mbps down, 41 up. If we all got those speeds all the time on all networks, 99% of us would be happy with 4G. That speed does go down during the day to 30-50 down, and the pathetic Three indoors in the same location gives me barely 1Mb sometimes, and sometimes the test can't even complete and gives an error.

Soldato
In my opinion not at the moment.

4G is almost everywhere, and if you in a city, expect very good indoor signal.

I tested out my new phone on EE's 5G network, I am in one of their declared 5G cities, I am close to the city centre, and indoors it keeps flipping between 4G and 5G, had to root the phone to fix the behaviour, and outdoors the 5G signal is weak enough that 4G has faster speeds.

When I checked a 3rd party site which gives info on the cells, out of 14 cells in my immediate area, only 2 of them have 5G enabled, all 14 have 4G and usually multiple frequencies as well. It seems 5G has been rushed so they can advertise the service, but its nowhere near as usable as 4G.

Back
Top Bottom