My VDSL is down - help with Huawai 4G router

Associate
Hi, I have a FTTC connection which has been down for the past week. Openreach are "working on it" - except they're not actually doing anything. I have a Vodafone VDSL router whose IP address is 192.168.1.1, and I have lots of devices connected to it. The Vodafone router has a WAN port on the back, which is used if you have a FTTP modem. (I don't.)

I've borrowed a Huawei B311s-220 4G router. This works great - it has a SIM card which connects to the "3" network and gives a WiFi hotspot. But I'd like to connect the WAN port of the Vodafone router to it, so that all my home devices work as normal, using the 4G router instead of the broken Openreach landline connection. The Huawai's IP adderss is 192.168.8.1 and it has a RJ45 connection on the back marked "LAN/WAN".

In theory I should be able to connect the WAN port on the Vodafone router to the LAN/WAN port on the 4G router and have everything work like as if I was on FTTP (but using the 4G modem instead of an FTTP modem). I've connected the two ports together but no dice. I'm assuming it's because the two devices are on different subnets, right?

How do I make this work? TIA!
(PS - sorry about the typo in the thread title, can't seem to edit it!!)

Associate
I don't think you will be able to get this to work, you could rename the 4g router's WiFi name and password to match your Vodafone one. Then when you turn off your Vodafone router everything will just connect to the 4g one without having to reconfigure anything.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply - but surely it *should* be possible to get it to work shouldn't it? What makes you say it won't work?

The problem with just spoofing the voda WIFI name and password is that I have various wired devices which connect to the voda router, either directly or via a separate TP-LINK router. So it's not just wireless devices.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Vodafone router will be trying to make a PPPoE connection out the WAN port, so it won't be possible to get it to work.

Associate
OP
How about if I change the 4g router's IP so it's in the voda subnet, and connect it's LAN/WAN port to one of the voda's LAN ports. Would that work in theory?

Man of Honour
turn off dhcp on the vodafone router and if the ip is static put it on the same range as the 4g router. Then plug them in lan port to lan port so the vodafone router effectively becomes a glorified switch. This will work I ran a voda router like this for a bit.I have since thrown it in the bin and replaced it all with a unifi gateway and ap's.

Not sure if the FTTP router is the same but I imagine it probably is.

Back
Top Bottom