First Watercooling Project need advice

Associate
Hello Guys,

This is my first time watercooling my rig It's a crazy little project, I have my whole rig In a Ikea TV Cabinet without a PC case. I would like to watercool both my RTX 3090 Die + Vram and my 5950X.

You can see here the Current install and here is dimensions of the Cabinet
I am Thinking of going with 2x480 Rads or maybe 1 very think 480. what do you think ?

What I have found so far:
GPU Waterblock
CPU Waterblock
RAD 480mm 60mm thick enough ?

Any advice is good, what else do I need beside tubbing and fittings ? what pump should I go for ?
for fans I think I'll go for silence and since they will be hidden behide no rgb needed i'll surely go with Noctuas.

Thank you for your help

Associate
Thats a great build.
More rad space = more cooling.
x2 480 rads 60mm thick would be more then enough to cool your system without having to ramp the fans up.
Arctics p12 pwm pst are a cost effective alternative to Noctuas.
A D5 pump re combo would be nice and you can screw it into the side of the cabinet, as for the tubing it is your choice whether you go for hard tubing for aesthetics or soft tubing for convenience.
Just remember a drain port in your loop, and if you have your rads and fans mounted on the side of the cabinet blowing in, you will need to have some way to exhaust the air out

Associate
I'd say that silence is impossible because I have tried it. I have a 420 60mm rad + 420 45mm rad + 140 45mm rad with 7 x 140mm fans and a further 2 x 140mm fans to draw in air to the case. I specifically chose Noctua 140mm to keep the noise down. Water is pumped by twin PWM D5s so that I can run each at a relatively low rpm. This is to cool an RTX 3090 and a 5900X. I have to balance the pump speeds and fan speed to keep the noise down. Whilst I am happy with the result - I don't need the fans to go above 50% at load and idle is much quieter than the air cooled PC it replaced, I can still hear the fans at idle. Of course its heavily dependent on ambient air temperature. I have my PC in my study which has air conditioning - when it is on I can run the PC in idle with just the faint noise of the fans - but not silent.

You may have the advantage that you are further away from that PC - is it in your lounge? But you still need to get cool air into the cabinet and expel the hot air - otherwise you'll end up running the fans on full and they will noisy.

Soldato
for fans I think I'll go for silence and since they will be hidden behide no rgb needed i'll surely go with Noctuas.

How far from your desk is the TV cabinet? I solved the noise issue by putting my PC in a cabinet in the corner of the room and using fibre-optic video cables and long USB cables to get from the PC to my desk.

str

str

Soldato
I'd say that silence is impossible because I have tried it. I have a 420 60mm rad + 420 45mm rad + 140 45mm rad with 7 x 140mm fans and a further 2 x 140mm fans to draw in air to the case. I specifically chose Noctua 140mm to keep the noise down. Water is pumped by twin PWM D5s so that I can run each at a relatively low rpm. This is to cool an RTX 3090 and a 5900X. I have to balance the pump speeds and fan speed to keep the noise down. Whilst I am happy with the result - I don't need the fans to go above 50% at load and idle is much quieter than the air cooled PC it replaced, I can still hear the fans at idle. Of course its heavily dependent on ambient air temperature. I have my PC in my study which has air conditioning - when it is on I can run the PC in idle with just the faint noise of the fans - but not silent.

You may have the advantage that you are further away from that PC - is it in your lounge? But you still need to get cool air into the cabinet and expel the hot air - otherwise you'll end up running the fans on full and they will noisy.
A compromise is necessary to achieve silence when a Ryzen CPU boosts it's single core clock speed resulting in significant idle heat.

For an O11 Mini build recently with three 240mm radiators, FLT 120 + PWM D5, monoblock on the 3900XT, and a vertically mounted watercooled Strix 1080 TI, I added six 3-pin Fractal X2 GP-12 and two X2 GP-14 fans and they run silently most of the time. These fans have a working range of 4v to 12v and often they are below 500 RPM.

The goal was silence most of the time so I configured the BIOS to keep the fans silent until the CPU temp hits 60c (24% exhaust fans and 27% intake fans is the lowest the motherboard allows) and they ramp up slowly until 70c (both sets of fans ramp up to 60%) and then it's 90% at 75c.

The PWM D5 pump is at 21% when the CPU temperature is 55c or less (mostly the idle single core boosting is below 55c) which causes the flow indicator rotation to be easily visible. At 60c it's configured to run at 30% and it's speed is capped at 35%. It makes no sound with this setup unless air is trapped in the pump.

Soldato
I use a single 480x60mm rad (EK XE), on a 3960x Threadripper and 3090 (that's a lot of heat) and I get great temps.

Because it's so thick, you really need push+pull fans to get the most out of it, unless you want to run 120mm fans on one side a full pelt all the time - even then I doubt it'll be as good as push+pull.

Soldato
The project kinda reminds me of this.. albeit a larger footprint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaoFh1DH51U
I watch this guy as well! His last build was epic!

If the OP is using something like that in his pictures, i would be tempted to try and do this instead

Building the world's first 'breathing' PC - YouTube

Near silent operation! Intake at one end, moves through the centre structure with all the main components and exits through rads at the end compartment.

Or

2 bellows at both end compartments and rads in the centre compartment exiting through the top through the radiators.

Back
Top Bottom