MoT Day.

Soldato
Just building myself up to take the old Focus in for MoT at 11.00.

11 yrs old this December but over the years I have gradually bought it forward so when it need something doing it's more summer than winter.

Fingers crossed.

Soldato

11 yrs old this December but over the years I have gradually bought it forward so when it need something doing it's more summer than winter.

Fingers crossed.
It's exactly what I recently did with the SRT8... wasn't due until October, but having to mess around fixing things if it needs it myself in the rain and cold in October... no thanks, so this year just got it done July... that way, it's summer, if it ever needs anything it's just done... winter months for MOT... no thanks so you're doing the right thing.

Good Luck ;)

Soldato
I took mine to Kwik fit a few days before expiry, £27 for MOT, that gave me 10 days to make repairs, a new caliper, front pads, a drop link, a bulb and clear a few engine codes, you then get a £10 retest MOT if it passes.

Soldato
I took mine to Kwik fit a few days before expiry, £27 for MOT, that gave me 10 days to make repairs, a new caliper, front pads, a drop link, a bulb and clear a few engine codes, you then get a £10 retest MOT if it passes.

£27, that is very cheap. I pay £50 for an MOT and Kwik Fit where i live are total rip off merchants. They charged my mother stupid money for a tiny tire on a nissan pixo
f

Soldato

Fingers crossed.

I've done this with my car and am slowly bringing forward the date on the Mrs's car. Mine is due September and I'm working on it next week, the Mrs's isn't due until November but I'll work on it next week anyway

Soldato
OP
FAILED - I can not remember the last time I had a car that failed the MoT.

The car is fine - it's bloody immissions it's a Focus 2.0ltr Diesel
Test limit is 0.54 l/m
actual 1.10
So lad said put some additive in fuel tank -renew fuel filter - take it out and thrash the balls off it.
With this lock down we haven't done many miles and those were to shop and back so coke up driving - will thrash it up and down M54 on Sunday morning.
Still it's done 11 yrs of pensioner driving but before lock down I used to go out every Sunday morning shooting so it got caned in third gear down M54

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Soldato
FAILED - I can not remember the last time I had a car that failed the MoT.

The car is fine - it's bloody immissions it's a Focus 2.0ltr Diesel
Test limit is 0.54 l/m
actual 1.10
So lad said put some additive in fuel tank -renew fuel filter - take it out and thrash the balls off it.
With this lock down we haven't done many miles and those were to shop and back so coke up driving - will thrash it up and down M54 on Sunday morning.
Still it's done 11 yrs of pensioner driving but before lock down I used to go out every Sunday morning shooting so it got caned in third gear down M54

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr !
Damn it, put some Cataclean it's worked wonders for me in the last week with the Xedos9, shes purring now! It works!!!

Associate
always add a couple of additives in the tank when i service the mondeo just passed the test clean 2009 2,0 tdci.
mind you at 148 000 miles it only did 389 miles since last test so i guess it will be being swapped soon...

Soldato
OP
Plugged a diagnostic into car and it showed a fault with MAF Sensor or it had had one so thought just ring Ford dealer see about replacing it - Now they really are taking the micky - £315 just for the sensor - Thats more than the car is worth.
Looks like a tin of spray cleaner :rolleyes:

Soldato
Plugged a diagnostic into car and it showed a fault with MAF Sensor or it had had one so thought just ring Ford dealer see about replacing it - Now they really are taking the micky - £315 just for the sensor - Thats more than the car is worth.
Yeah MAF cleaner can work, probably got crap on it, just be careful when you do it.

Soldato
OP
Got a decent one for £100 - This is the first time I have spent money on this car in 11yrs so not complaining to much -That doesn't count services and wear and tear stuff.

Man of Honour
I've only had six cars since 1975, I run them until they crawl to the Breakers Yard or the amount to fix isn't worth it now.
The longest car I had was a Ford Orion that lasted 16 years from 3 years old.

Soldato

MAF very very rarely fail, they flag up faults often because what it's reading doesn't correspond to what another sensor is reading, often caused by issues like boost leaks.

Soldato
I bought a spray can of pure IPA @farnell, for cleaning MAF, and, off car, sprayed it, in all directions -the purpose tinned stuff is nothing more afaik
could try some shell v-power diesel for engine too, if tank has some space.

presumably car was, at temperature , when they did test.

... problem with emissions (like headlight beam, somewhat) can't check it youself
e: oxygen sensor readings tells you nothing ?

Permabanned
I bought a spray can of pure IPA @farnell, for cleaning MAF, and, off car, sprayed it, in all directions -the purpose tinned stuff is nothing more afaik
could try some shell v-power diesel for engine too, if tank has some space.

presumably car was, at temperature , when they did test.

... problem with emissions (like headlight beam, somewhat) can't check it youself
e: oxygen sensor readings tells you nothing ?
The car needs to have oil temp at 80 degrees C before a diesel emissions test is made, although it can be cheated by submersing the oil temp probe in a cup of boiling water.

Also oxygen sensor readings are not used during a diesel test. It takes a reading of the amount of particles that enter a chamber measured by a optical receiver lens.

Soldato
OP
Thanks - I didn't totally understand any of that - I just drive the car and mechanic tells me it's passed or failed - the way I am looking at it now is few quid spent now might save a few more in the months to come.
Italian tune up is booked for early Sunday morning on M54.
Yes I do admit to missing that thrash it to death run before taking it in bit.

Back
Top Bottom