x570 Taichi help, bios update, stuck post code 91

Associate
I was running bios version 3.80, i downloaded version 4.0 which was the next available so i didnt skip anything, i formatted a usb 8gb drive to FAT32, unzipped the 4.0 bios, moved it to the drive, booted to the bios, went to tools and the instantflash option, it immediately detected the version on the USB drive, i started the update, recived a success message and pressed enter as per the screen instruction to reboot, but the system got stuck at code 91 on the board. i reset the system, same thing code 91. (i dont get anything on the monitor not even a hint that its trying )

I have a 3600x cpu, 4 x 8 gb ram, 6900 xt, all was working prior to flashing the bios.

i have turned the system off, pulled the plug, hit the on button a few times, held in the cmos clear button, booted back up, no difference

what can i do?

Associate
I'm not familiar with that particular board, but it has a BIOS flashback function. It'll let you re-flash the BIOS without having to power the system on. Details of how to use it are on page 38 of the manual.

Basically you need a FAT32 USB stick with whichever BIOS you want to flash the board to. You plug the PSU into the mains and turn the PSU switch on. Then you plug the USB stick into the BIOS flashback port. Press the flashback button in for about 3 seconds and it should start blinking. Wait for the blinking to stop and the flashback is done.

It's a similar method to how I did it on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro. You can even do it without a CPU and RAM installed. As in literally a bare board plugged into a PSU.

Manual here if you don't have a full copy of it to hand:

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X570 Taichi.pdf

Associate
Take all memory out apart from one stick. Unplug all usb drives and cables. Unplug storage devices if you can.

Basically try and boot with as little as possible connected. Then if it boots add things back one by one.

If it doesn't boot try rolling back the bios firmware with flashback.

Associate
OP
I'm not familiar with that particular board, but it has a BIOS flashback function. It'll let you re-flash the BIOS without having to power the system on. Details of how to use it are on page 38 of the manual.

Basically you need a FAT32 USB stick with whichever BIOS you want to flash the board to. You plug the PSU into the mains and turn the PSU switch on. Then you plug the USB stick into the BIOS flashback port. Press the flashback button in for about 3 seconds and it should start blinking. Wait for the blinking to stop and the flashback is done.

It's a similar method to how I did it on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro. You can even do it without a CPU and RAM installed. As in literally a bare board plugged into a PSU.

Manual here if you don't have a full copy of it to hand:

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X570 Taichi.pdf

many thanks for the help, i wasnt sure if rolling back a bios was possible as i came across conflicting info via google and the manual doesn't actually say rolling back a bios is ok, it just uses the term flashback, which i would assume is as the name suggests but i like idiot proof and specific wording to actually say yes you can roll back a bios.

i have done exactly that, re flashed 3.80 and immediately i knew it was working as the monitor kicked into life as soon as i pressed the on button for the pc.
i thought ok, lets try bios 4.0 in the same way. nope doesnt work. so either something is wrong with that version of bios or something in that version of bios doesnt like a component in my pc. i find it odd that my monitor reacts immediately to bios version 3.80 when i press the on button, but bios 4.0 does nothing with my monitor.

Associate
Good to hear you managed to get it flashed back to a working BIOS. I'm not up to date with the latest GPUs - still using a 1080Ti, but I have read about some cards causing blank screen issues. There were a few threads here about this - I'm not sure what the answer was.

Associate
many thanks for the help, i wasnt sure if rolling back a bios was possible as i came across conflicting info via google and the manual doesn't actually say rolling back a bios is ok, it just uses the term flashback, which i would assume is as the name suggests but i like idiot proof and specific wording to actually say yes you can roll back a bios.

i have done exactly that, re flashed 3.80 and immediately i knew it was working as the monitor kicked into life as soon as i pressed the on button for the pc.
i thought ok, lets try bios 4.0 in the same way. nope doesnt work. so either something is wrong with that version of bios or something in that version of bios doesnt like a component in my pc. i find it odd that my monitor reacts immediately to bios version 3.80 when i press the on button, but bios 4.0 does nothing with my monitor.

Is your GPU vertically mounted?

Mobos default to auto when configuring the speed of PCIE lanes, which normally does its job. Occassionally though with a vertical riser cable you really need to have the bios manually set to PCIE 3.0. I've had two motherboards that support PCIE 4.0 and my 3.0 riser cable has been fine with auto, but the internet is litered with complaints some riser cables would not allow a GPU to post. If you vertically mount try your GPU horizontally again, get into the bios on 4.0, manually set the GPU lane to 3.0 and try it vertically again.

Other than that guess with 4.0 somehow causing an instability with a riser cable I'd do what I said above, try and boot with as few components connected as possible.

AGESA updates can sometimes make ram more unstable, even if they're supposed to make it more stable. That's why I recommended booting with 1 RAM stick.

edit - https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x570 taichi/#BIOS Says you should be able to go to 4.60 here? I would just jump straight to that over 4.0. If you didn't know you don't need to go 3.80 > 4.0, you can jump to latest.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is your GPU vertically mounted?

Mobos default to auto when configuring the speed of PCIE lanes, which normally does its job. Occassionally though with a vertical riser cable you really need to have the bios manually set to PCIE 3.0. I've had two motherboards that support PCIE 4.0 and my 3.0 riser cable has been fine with auto, but the internet is litered with complaints some riser cables would not allow a GPU to post. If you vertically mount try your GPU horizontally again, get into the bios on 4.0, manually set the GPU lane to 3.0 and try it vertically again.

Other than that guess with 4.0 somehow causing an instability with a riser cable I'd do what I said above, try and boot with as few components connected as possible.

AGESA updates can sometimes make ram more unstable, even if they're supposed to make it more stable. That's why I recommended booting with 1 RAM stick.

edit - https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x570 taichi/#BIOS Says you should be able to go to 4.60 here? I would just jump straight to that over 4.0. If you didn't know you don't need to go 3.80 > 4.0, you can jump to latest.

I do indeed have my gpu vertical via a lian li pci 4.0 riser. I am just back into windows after installing the newest bios available, it worked without any issues so far.

Im not sure where to post my next issue so i'll continue here.
I wanted the bios updated so that i could rule that out as the issue for 3 of my drives not showing up. This was initially a problem a few days back, i went into disk management and all 3 drives were showing as "unknown" and "not initialised" they were fine on my strix b350 F before i changed to the x570 taichi. I thought stuff it, i'll wipe absolutely everything and go from there. the drives were wiped, fresh windows install with all drivers updated, everything seemed fine... until yesterday when they dropped off again.

My drives are
nvme 500gb for OS
1TB crucial ssd
1tb seagate barracuda 7200 old type mechanical
500 gb 5200 old mechanical
120 ssd (used to have os on this before got nvme)

the first 2 drives are working fine. i can see the other drives in device manager and ive tried updating driver, uninstalling device, re doing the driver, none of this is working.
ive tried different ports on the motherboard but nothing brings these drives back on line bar allowing them to be initialised but that's going to wipe them again, ive spent ages re downloading my games.. urgh!!

Associate
I do indeed have my gpu vertical via a lian li pci 4.0 riser. I am just back into windows after installing the newest bios available, it worked without any issues so far.

Im not sure where to post my next issue so i'll continue here.
I wanted the bios updated so that i could rule that out as the issue for 3 of my drives not showing up. This was initially a problem a few days back, i went into disk management and all 3 drives were showing as "unknown" and "not initialised" they were fine on my strix b350 F before i changed to the x570 taichi. I thought stuff it, i'll wipe absolutely everything and go from there. the drives were wiped, fresh windows install with all drivers updated, everything seemed fine... until yesterday when they dropped off again.

My drives are
nvme 500gb for OS
1TB crucial ssd
1tb seagate barracuda 7200 old type mechanical
500 gb 5200 old mechanical
120 ssd (used to have os on this before got nvme)

the first 2 drives are working fine. i can see the other drives in device manager and ive tried updating driver, uninstalling device, re doing the driver, none of this is working.
ive tried different ports on the motherboard but nothing brings these drives back on line bar allowing them to be initialised but that's going to wipe them again, ive spent ages re downloading my games.. urgh!!

BIOS 4.0 was likely just unstable.

As for the drive issue could be something on its way out. Have you got them on GPT partitions or the old MBR?

Associate
OP
BIOS 4.0 was likely just unstable.

As for the drive issue could be something on its way out. Have you got them on GPT partitions or the old MBR?

but all 3 of them going faulty, at the same time.? or are you thinking a mobo fault? its not a psu issue as i have just received my straight power 1000w psu from overclockers yesterday as i was a bit on the fence running a toxic extreme on a 750w sea sonic, this dirve issue is the same before and after psu swap.
If the drives in question weren't GPT before i wiped them, then they were definitely GPT after i initialised and formatted them a few days ago as i picked that option.

Associate
but all 3 of them going faulty, at the same time.? or are you thinking a mobo fault? its not a psu issue as i have just received my straight power 1000w psu from overclockers yesterday as i was a bit on the fence running a toxic extreme on a 750w sea sonic, this dirve issue is the same before and after psu swap.
If the drives in question weren't GPT before i wiped them, then they were definitely GPT after i initialised and formatted them a few days ago as i picked that option.

Just with you mentioning they were older drives but yeah that would be quite unlucky if they had issues at the same time.

I don't think it's your power supply but what about the cable powering them? Is it the same cable chained to all 3?

Other than that maybe an issue with sata configuration in the bios settings?

Have you tried one or two of them running on their own?

Back
Top Bottom