• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much WILL you pay for a graphics card?

Soldato
I don't think there was any trick no one said or claimed the 3090 was twice as fast.

I don't think any 3090 owner ever cares about the price

Exactly, I knew exactly what I was getting and what I was prepared to pay for. And I'm well chuffed with what I have.
But that might not be everyone's view, and my view point certainly wouldn't be pushing up to the folk that own the 3090 strix's etc.

Is all down to personal choice, and no one has any right to dispute that.
I do feel for those that don't have the option to act on their personal choice, if the market doesn't allow in its current state.

Associate
Is all down to personal choice, and no one has any right to dispute that.

Well they can when you post it in a publicly accessible forum whether you like it or not :)

For me the issue isn't so much the price itself, its what you are getting for that price. I'm sorry but if you've got PC gamers paying large sums for marginal performance gains then that is a bad thing for every single PC gamer out there.

You can dispute that to your hearts content.

Soldato
If you're looking at it from that point of view then the gains aren't marginal at all! They're blooming impressive.
Last gen top of the line card the 2080Ti cost over a grand, and yet this gen you can currently buy a 3080 at msrp still nearly a year later (yes you have to be savvy, but its doable) and it thrashes the 2080Ti left right and centre, for just over half the price.
You now spend a grand or more or equivalent to 2080Ti prices and you're getting a card that not only thrashes a 2080Ti, it does a merry dance as well :D

Soldato
If you're looking at it from that point of view then the gains aren't marginal at all! They're blooming impressive.
Last gen top of the line card the 2080Ti cost over a grand, and yet this gen you can currently buy a 3080 at msrp still nearly a year later (yes you have to be savvy, but its doable) and it thrashes the 2080Ti left right and centre, for just over half the price.
You now spend a grand or more or equivalent to 2080Ti prices and you're getting a card that not only thrashes a 2080Ti, it does a merry dance as well :D
had people shunned paying 1k+ for the 2080ti you'd have got the 3090 for £850, now as people are prepared to pay even more the 4090 will probably arrive with an msrp of about 2k.

The only saving grace this generation was AMD being competitive else we'd have got 3070 performance for the 3080.

Soldato
had people shunned paying 1k+ for the 2080ti you'd have got the 3090 for £850, now as people are prepared to pay even more the 4090 will probably arrive with an msrp of about 2k.

The only saving grace this generation was AMD being competitive else we'd have got 3070 performance for the 3080.

This. There is speculation that 4090 is probably going to be a 2k card :(.

They probably received some inspiration from intel aswell when it introduced 2k HEDT cpu (7980XE) :rolleyes:

Soldato
I was wondering what the EVGA 6800GT cost me earlier today. I uncovered it at my Mums house, all dusty and looking very small compared to my latest 3080.
When you Google it the Rainforest has two in stock.

Associate
Really doesn't bother me how much people pay for the very top gpu ie 3090. I don't need one, as I always turn the fps down to 60/75fps to run my gpu cooler, quieter and on less electricity so a card lower down the stack is good for me. More people buying 3090s now means that there will be a bigger second hand supply later on. Its like the secondhand car market, let others take the depreciation.

Permabanned
Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB should cost no more than $700. Higher than that, and especially the current prices of $1600-1700, is a robbery in broad daylight.

Associate
I only go for the top 3 aftermarket versions of either the RX 6800 XT or RTX 3080 for no more than 800€, although I lean towards the 6800 XT because of the bad thermal pad situation and high temps on the 3000 series...
Also interesting how DLSS vs FidelityFX plays out in the next year. If these prices won't be achieved soon enough I might just wait for the new releases next year, lets just hope the prices won't be sky high at that point.
My GTX 1080 Aorus Xtreme is holding up really well especially after replacing the stock thermal paste after 4 years with MX-4 the temps dropped so low that it's hard to compare because my fans barely have to do anything and still sitting in the 65°C range at 2030ish Mhz. Just recently I would reach 50-80 Mhz less and would spike at like 82-83°C.

Associate
Regularly I'd only spend a maximum of £300-£350 for a card every year (and sell the old card), I used to always get second-hand last generation cards (usually the nvidia xx80 cards), but the days of those being fairly priced are long gone.
In the current market all I aim for is no more than 25% over rrp. I've been able to get a 3070 Ti TUF at basically RRP so I'm happy.

Associate
Yeah, I'm passing on paying £2k on a graphics card. I sort of passing on paying anything over £1,200 this time around. It's far too much right now. Typically I would say £600-800 being max for a gaming card personally. So I'm just going to ignore 4K really, there's just too much cost for that. It's getting to the point that even 1440p is being too expensive as well, could see a shift back to those playing on 1080p instead again in the PC where consoles get the better edge as it's cheaper to get a 4K gaming console than it is for a graphics card that can play the same games at that resolution and framerate.

If they're not careful, both AMD and Nvidia may hit problems if prices remain this high to be fair. XBSX and PS% have the upper hand regarding 4K gaming at the moment over PC, due to this issue. That's how I see it anyways and it's time for both camps to get their act together and bring prices down again.
Yeah I pretty much agree In regards to the consoles, you can pay £450 for a pretty great 4k experience and if GPUs are going to charge >£1000 for high end now then that might just turn a lot of people off. Having said that people are happily paying £2000 for GPUs these days....

Associate
They are currently so expensive largely due to how profitable mining is. If you're uncomfortable spending several hundred on a GPU but you want one badly, why don't you just get one and mine on it yourself? It will make the hundreds back if you stick to it. Even if not, get a ***NO COMPETITOR MENTIONING!*** drop or an OCUK promo code and the pricing is relatively good, considering the £60-per-game-plus-online-fees you'd pay after spending £500 on a console.

The days of xx70 tier cards priced at £250 are long gone. For years Nvidia and AMD have both been creeping their prices up far greater than the rate of inflation. But honestly even in this worst-case market we're in now I still see PC gaming as far more cost effective than console gaming. Tenfold if you mine on the side with your new GPU.
Spending large amounts of money on a gaming machine for a hobby seems quite daunting especially compared to consoles. However, console gaming can actually cost more than I would think considering the price of games. Equally there is a lot more to do on a pc in terms of predictability, especially now during Covid times. Now you can even mine and make your money back.

Associate
Really doesn't bother me how much people pay for the very top gpu ie 3090. I don't need one, as I always turn the fps down to 60/75fps to run my gpu cooler, quieter and on less electricity so a card lower down the stack is good for me. More people buying 3090s now means that there will be a bigger second hand supply later on. Its like the secondhand car market, let others take the depreciation.
but that doesn't work either because no way in hell someone is gonna sell you a 2nd hand GPU costing upwards of £1.5k for anything resembling good value. So to your analogy its a little like buying a 2nd hand Tesla when the batteries are shagged and the car can only do 50mph for 100miles.

It should bother you because it raises prices across the board, not just the top tier.

Even if you are fortunate enough to throw tons of money on PC hardware its still a bad thing because:
a) You'll be upgrading next gen to get the perf you should (could) have got for the price you paid
b) as GPU prices rise the hardware compatibility thins out less and less development goes into the high-end features
c) the price you pay next gen goes up

so all that happens is you pay more for less return over time

Even the RTX 3080 @MSRP £650 only looks good cos the Turing generation was so dreadfully bad, that's still a very expensive bit of hardware with massive margins going to Nvidia and AIBs.

Associate
Interestingly enough Playstation are now in a position where the disc model at £450 is no longer losing them money.

Point being, console prices can potentially drop. The Series S i've already seen discounted too.

I'll still be a PCMS guy, just with budget cards. Most modern games just aren't good enough imo. Though i do like mods running as best as possible on older games.

Associate
Still think that when the 40 series arrives Nvidia has already tested the water and seen what profits Scalpers have made that they will push up prices.

Associate
Spending large amounts of money on a gaming machine for a hobby seems quite daunting especially compared to consoles. However, console gaming can actually cost more than I would think considering the price of games. Equally there is a lot more to do on a pc in terms of predictability, especially now during Covid times. Now you can even mine and make your money back.
While this is possibly true for games on release day, console games do go on sale so if you're not needing to buy everything day 1 the game pricing debate is less of a deal I think

Back
Top Bottom