• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No cheap Ryzens?

Man of Honour
1600AF were like £90 when launched which was OK but don't seem to have dropped in price and availability pretty limited now. This is kind of what I'm getting at, I knew you could get a 1600AF for under a ton like 18 months ago but now when I go to look thinking OK maybe I'll find a 2600 at that price or something, but anything semi-decent is priced into treble figures.

What's interesting is that unlike the GPU market, mid-high end CPUs are still in stock at normal prices, so it's just the bottom end of the market that seems to have concertinaed, as you say maybe it's all swallowed up by OEMs but the interesting part is it hasn't really driven up the rest of the market that much. Which is why there is this chaotic £1xx market with all these different chips in, it makes you wonder who is actually buying the weaker cpus when superior ones barely cost any more money. I've seen 3700X under £200, these weaker chips aren't making a lot of sense by comparison.
It seems like AMD just don't have the supply to meet demand at the low-end, not when they can sell higher margin high-end parts. The 5300G wasn't held back from the DIY market by accident. Intel have significantly better supply, but the i3s (both 9th and 10th gen) with IGPs have been poorly stocked and overpriced for many months now.

Caporegime
So no cooler then, that's a bummer.
Looking at Ryzen prices, they really haven't shifted at all, I paid £141.70 for my 2700X over 18 months ago.
Starting to get tempted by going the intel route (10600 or whatever) if I can find a cheap board. This 'cheap' upgrade seems to be ending up as a midrange upgrade, so I'll probably bin the idea.

That isn't true. My 3600X was around £225 when I bought it and I sold it for around £125.

The 3600X second hand is an absolute steal and can be found on the popular second hand marketplaces.

Man of Honour
Doesn't the Meltdown and Spectre mitigations slow down the 10105F?
It will, but most of the mitigations should have been already baked in, so the reviews should reflect that. The hardware fixes are hard to find information on, Intel said they apply to the 9th gen, but afaik it's only the updated die which the 9600, 9700 and 9900 use. In the 10th gen, the 10105F is based on the old 6-core die and so may not have any fixes.

Man of Honour
OP
That isn't true. My 3600X was around £225 when I bought it and I sold it for around £125.

The 3600X second hand is an absolute steal and can be found on the popular second hand marketplaces.
Not sure what you mean by "isn't true", breaking down what I said:
  • It doesn't have a cooler
  • Ryzen prices look similar to 18 months ago [to be clear when I said haven't shifted at all, I'm comparing to then when I bought my last Ryzen. The 3600X was around £160 then iirc]
  • I paid £141.70 for my 2700X
  • I have been tempted by Intel
I just had a look at the 3600X on a famous auction site, scrolling down and down every single one I've come across (that isn't "parts only") has sold for well over £100.
The point of this thread was about the lack of cheap Ryzens, I've said a couple of times there are loads bunched up in the £1xx range, and this 3600X example just reinforces that. The point is you can't get something weaker for much cheaper, there is no decent option at £80 or whatever.

So what this leaves me with is an option of paying say £140 on a 3600X b-grade, which kind of defeats the point of the budget upgrade, or buying a 5900X and then relegating my 2700X to the budget rig.

Caporegime
Not sure what you mean by "isn't true", breaking down what I said:
  • It doesn't have a cooler
  • Ryzen prices look similar to 18 months ago [to be clear when I said haven't shifted at all, I'm comparing to then when I bought my last Ryzen. The 3600X was around £160 then iirc]
  • I paid £141.70 for my 2700X
  • I have been tempted by Intel
I just had a look at the 3600X on a famous auction site, scrolling down and down every single one I've come across (that isn't "parts only") has sold for well over £100.
The point of this thread was about the lack of cheap Ryzens, I've said a couple of times there are loads bunched up in the £1xx range, and this 3600X example just reinforces that. The point is you can't get something weaker for much cheaper, there is no decent option at £80 or whatever.

So what this leaves me with is an option of paying say £140 on a 3600X b-grade, which kind of defeats the point of the budget upgrade, or buying a 5900X and then relegating my 2700X to the budget rig.

Well you likley won't get a £80 CPU currently because of the chip shortage and current gen and last gen all having a large number of cores and performance.

If ryzen had made a 4 core 8 thread CPU 2-4 years ago that would meet your price point.

You are looking for a top end gaming chip for budget money. That isn't going to happen.

You should be looking at the 1600x on said auction site.

Man of Honour
OP
If ryzen had made a 4 core 8 thread CPU 2-4 years ago that would meet your price point.
They did, the Ryzen 1400 is 4c8t, but it still costs ~£100, which makes no sense to a consumer when a 3600 is £140. There's also the 2500X, but you don't seem to be able to buy them any more for a sensible price.

Caporegime
They did, the Ryzen 1400 is 4c8t, but it still costs ~£100, which makes no sense to a consumer when a 3600 is £140. There's also the 2500X, but you don't seem to be able to buy them any more for a sensible price.

They are selling for £60-£70 looking at sold listings. Sure there is a spares or repairs one for £45 but I'm discounting that as it's likely dead.

Back
Top Bottom