How bad will a 1080p signal be on a 1440p Monitor?

Associate
Hi all,

Thinking of buying a 1440p monitor for my mac mini and raspberry pi 4

How bad would a 1080p signal look and 720p ?

Currently have a 32'' 1080p monitor, and is very old only has one dvi
connection

Thank you in advance

Soldato
Mac Mini should be able to do monitor's native resolution even if DVI is its only "modern" display output.
(assuming monitor has DVI)

Rasp Pi 4 doesn't even have anything other than 4K capable HDMIs.
So assuming software isn't screw up, it can do 2560x1440.

Associate
OP
Mac Mini should be able to do monitor's native resolution even if DVI is its only "modern" display output.
(assuming monitor has DVI)

Rasp Pi 4 doesn't even have anything other than 4K capable HDMIs.
So assuming software isn't screw up, it can do 2560x1440.
i know that, i asked what would 1080p look like on a 1440p monitor
The pi 4 has a max of 1080p
i only have a 1080p monitor, but would like one with more connections on it , my mac mini max res is 1440p (its old)

Soldato
Pants, modern monitors with fixed pixels (LCD, OLED) will never look great with lower res signal. Buy a monitor you can drive at the native resolution.

What are you doing on it? One exception could be if you're just consuming video or similar, then scaling may not be too bad, but if you're reading text or games and sat close to it, then you want native res.

Associate
OP
Pants, modern monitors with fixed pixels (LCD, OLED) will never look great with lower res signal. Buy a monitor you can drive at the native resolution.

What are you doing on it? One exception could be if you're just consuming video or similar, then scaling may not be too bad, but if you're reading text or games and sat close to it, then you want native res.

retro games on the pi and general computer work on the mac, i sit about 1 meter away

Associate
I had a 32" 1080 for a while to play retro RPGs and because of the really poor pixel density I'd prefer to use any other monitor on the planet at any res than suffer that again.

Back
Top Bottom