Spec me some cordless diy tools

Associate
I have a few Ryobi tools and am very happy with them, seen some reviews of people who use them commercially and they hold up well. If I had the money to spend I would have gone Milwaukee.

For a circular saw, I would get a corded one. A friend has a Festool plunge saw which works great. They are pricey though.

Soldato
If you are spending that much money on a brand new kitchen, using those metal strips seems like a bit of an odd compromise given they look like a bit of a bodge and the cost of getting it done ‘properly’.

You can get a router, bush and cutter for £130 and a jig for around £40 to do it properly yourself. That said, once you have bought that, you are not that far off a carpenter for a day.

Alternatively could also use solid wood worktops which are designed to be butted up against each other and not that much more expensive in the grand scheme of things.

You can also hire the tools you need for not that much money.

Associate
OP
If you are spending that much money on a brand new kitchen, using those metal strips seems like a bit of an odd compromise given they look like a bit of a bodge and the cost of getting it done ‘properly’.

You can get a router, bush and cutter for £130 and a jig for around £40 to do it properly yourself. That said, once you have bought that, you are not that far off a carpenter for a day.

Alternatively could also use solid wood worktops which are designed to be butted up against each other and not that much more expensive in the grand scheme of things.

You can also hire the tools you need for not that much money.
Solid wood worktops is our longer term goal. The current worktops are worktops that we have spare at work from fitting our work units (which are all IKEA kitchen cabinets haha), so not costing anything.

Soldato
You have pretty much answered your own question in the OP
You don't have budget for dewalt/makita/milwakee
you already have some ryobi kit with batteries.

I'd give a vote for Makita here through personal experience but I don't doubt that dewalt and milwakee are just as good/slightly better.

My (found used) makita impact driver has taken some abuse and just keeps going, my drill/driver fell off the top of a 7ft step ladder through the loft hatch to a tiled floor below, so about 14/15 feet total and still works just fine, the tile in the bathroom didn't fair so well.
the drill only cost £150 with a big case 3ah battery and charger.

Any job I know that needs some "oomph" i tend to stick to 240v personally, my circular saw is 240, my sds drill is also 240.

Soldato
Solid wood worktops is our longer term goal. The current worktops are worktops that we have spare at work from fitting our work units (which are all IKEA kitchen cabinets haha), so not costing anything.

Fair enough, I’d still do everything you can not to use those metal strips. They just look well a bit naff and there isn’t really anything you can do to stop them looking that way.

Soldato
Cordless is great but I use a mix of both corded and cordless.

My circular saw is corded as I mostly use it in a controlled environment on stock that isn't installed somewhere.

It's a relatively inexpensive Evolution one and it's been a real workhorse. Done multiple kitchen worktops with it using a clamped straightedge and an 80tooth fine blade.

I agree with this, I have the same saw most likely. Most of my stuff is cordless but for a circular saw I feel like you do, I'm nearly always using it in the workshop with a vacuum hooked up so the cable isn't a big extra hassle.

Soldato
I have the Makita brushless stuff, heavy use for five years no tool or battery has failed.

I broke a bit off inside the impact driver, sent it back and they fixed it for free even though it was my fault not the tool's!

Soldato
Infact it's a requirement if you have an auto vac!

And that, I do have an auto vac and it’s dead convenient. Otherwise you’re running back to switch it on and off or spending yet more money on a remote that you can lose.

If I was doing this for a living, especially on site in customers houses, I would probably be full cordless but for in the garage cordless is fine for circular saws, routers, anything that I wouldn’t want to use without the vac really.

Soldato
Cutting thick worktops is a fair ask from your average cordless 18v circular saw, even a good quality one.

Ive got a makita 18v lxt circular saw and had no issue cutting laminate (even real wood would be fine, but I imagine knots would wear out the battery).

Overall though, I believe routers are normally used to joint worktops in corners, rather than circular saw?

Back
Top Bottom