• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are RX 6800 XT not wanted?

Soldato
Hey all, so I'm planning a build, and cant help notice the amount of Asus RX 6800 XT instock... Would you say it was a just a decent delivery? Or do people not want them as much as Nvidia?

I understand DLSS in a big selling point but I can't help but think it can't be just DLSS surely?

Any ideas? Too expensive?

OcUK Staff
Hey all, so I'm planning a build, and cant help notice the amount of Asus RX 6800 XT instock... Would you say it was a just a decent delivery? Or do people not want them as much as Nvidia?

I understand DLSS in a big selling point but I can't help but think it can't be just DLSS surely?

One of our best sellers and we have 100’s in stock and more incoming so fingers crossed won’t be running out.

Caporegime

6800 XTs are faster than 3080s on the whole, unless you enable Ray Tracing, a feature that provides very little (some would say if any) improvement to image quality in current games. However, mindshare and fanaticism are harder obstacles to overcome.

Associate
Very happy with my 6800 XT and highly recommend it. If the best RT performance is a must then Nvidia is the go to but I'm enjoying RT in Control and Metro Exodus with more than acceptable performance.

Soldato
I had a 6800XT previously, only sold it to free up a little cash as I don’t use the PC that often - but it was an awesome card. RT speed aside, it was an absolute beast!

Soldato
If AMD had a website in the UK selling an 6800XT for 600 or 650 or whatever the price plan originally was then i would have thought about it

Soldato
I would absolutely love an Asus 6800XT but what with the pandemic and work becoming extremely thin I can just about afford to feed myself nevermind get a 6800XT and I think many are in the same boat.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If AMD had a website in the UK selling an 6800XT for 600 or 650 or whatever the price plan originally was then i would have thought about it

This has a lot to do with it. If there were regular waves landing in a UK reseller/retailer for the listed AMD reference prices it would be a different story. Frankly at double that price the 6800 will last in stock for ages as its making nvidia look cheaper!

Caporegime
This has a lot to do with it. If there were regular waves landing in a UK reseller/retailer for the listed AMD reference prices it would be a different story. Frankly at double that price the 6800 will last in stock for ages as its making nvidia look cheaper!

Yup, they dropped the ball big time there, just utter incompetence and lack of foresight imo.

Soldato
6800 XTs are faster than 3080s on the whole, unless you enable Ray Tracing, a feature that provides very little (some would say if any) improvement to image quality in current games.

According to Hardware Unboxed, using an 18 game average:

the 6800XT is 5.9% faster than the 3080 at 1080p
the 6800XT is 2.6% faster than the 3080 at 1440p
the 6800XT is 5.1% slower than the 3080 at 4K

I imagine partner models might alter the numbers by a % or two.

It's a bit of a stretch to say the 6800XT is "faster than the 3080 on the whole" given those figures. "Pretty much the same for all that matters" is somewhat closer to the mark.

Whether Ray Tracing provides a lot or a little improvement is subjective - some might want it, some might not, so to a particular buyer it might provide a substantial reason for choosing one card over another. Similar goes for DLSS, or now FSR for that matter.

I've had Radeon and GeForce cards in the past. I currently have a 3080 FE because I was able to get one at MSRP. I very much doubt I'd be able to get an AMD 6800XT at MSRP but if i had been able to I may well have got one of those instead. If you can't buy it, you'll get what's available.

Soldato
I would love one, but it's not worth 30-40% more than I spent on my 6800

If I'd gone ahead with selling my current card when I could have got an easy £1k for it, I would have been all over one

Back
Top Bottom