Should I set all my fans to use CPU Temp?

Associate
I have a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro and I am having an issue where the 2 fans connected to the 2 pump headers seem to be spiking up and down. In the bios should I set all my fans (CPU and case) to use the cpu temp as the measure? As at the moment some of them are set to cpu and some are set to system for the temperature source. They are all set to the Silent profile and the interval at 3.

Associate
I used to have mine set to CPU, but would get annoyed everytime the fans spun up like a race car due to the CPU temps ramping up while idle

I've heard due to the Ryzen CPU randomly ramping up at times, it's best not to set your temps based on CPU.. so i have set mine to GPU (until my flow meter arrives so i can monitor coolant temp etc)

Soldato
What options do you have?
I think Aorus X570 Pro has 9 temperature sensors, but I don't know which ones your fan control software can use.

Associate
OP
I am just using the Gigabyte Smartfan 5 software. But you can set it up in the BIOS as well as in Windows. Only the 2 case fans plugged into the 2 fan/pump headers are going up and down all the others are constant at idle.

Associate
If you bios has the option set the ramp up and down delays so they don't spin up or down immediately on a brief temps spike.
I have my case fans set at a set speed regardless of what the temps are on my components as they are just there to keep airflow through the case, the Rad fans I used to use the delayed ramp up and down method, but now I keep them at a set rpm as the fluid temps nevver break 37C. Find a decent rpm that your fans will run at where the noise doesn't bother you so much and manually set it to that, you can set them to go 100% at 80C so you're covered if you're really pushing the cpu with a heavy workload

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I used to have mine set to CPU, but would get annoyed everytime the fans spun up like a race car due to the CPU temps ramping up while idle

I've heard due to the Ryzen CPU randomly ramping up at times, it's best not to set your temps based on CPU.. so i have set mine to GPU (until my flow meter arrives so i can monitor coolant temp etc)

Absolutely this. Switched off the CPU temp and much better for the ears.

Associate
If you plug those two fans into the system fan headers then you can just set a fan profile in Smart Fan 5 and keep them to a constant rpm that suits you or have a slow curve so they will gradually spin up if things are getting too warm, you can do this in Windows or the bios, I set mine in Windows so I can tweak it on the fly.

Associate
I simply set my fans in the bios on my Master.
CPU header for x3 radiator fans (AIO) on FULL and the othe headers for case fans etc on silent.
Set up no issues and does not ramp up and down at all.

Associate
OP
I will have to review what the 2 fans on the pump headers are set to. In the app they are all set to the same fan curve. The strange thing is they do not do it every day despite the temperature in the room being fairly constant.

Associate

You soon give that option a miss and try a different approach or get some very big headphones :D

Back
Top Bottom