E10 Petrol: Anyone concerned?

Caporegime
Wow, nice one.

I assume this affects REALLY specific engines it something then?

its the seals and rubber it affects so hence older engines especially those with carburettors. Hence why lawnmowers are affected.

you could have course change all the seals and fuel pipes and make any car unaffected by the e10

Soldato
Can somebody check my math here pls.

E10 fuel has 5.26% less petrol than E5 (90% vs 95%), so that means if my local garage sells Premium for £1.23 than as long as their Super is £1.29 or less it's better to just buy Super right? (123p x 1.0526 = 129.47p).

To be clear I know I'm not good at math :D hence asking what formula I should be using to figure out the most cost effective.

Soldato
You'll get less MPG on E10 than super, so you'd have to work it out from that. It might work out better value just using super in everything now, as you also get more additives and a longer shelf life from it for a healthier engine in the long run.

Man of Honour
Can somebody check my math here pls.

E10 fuel has 5.26% less petrol than E5 (90% vs 95%), so that means if my local garage sells Premium for £1.23 than as long as their Super is £1.29 or less it's better to just buy Super right? (123p x 1.0526 = 129.47p).

To be clear I know I'm not good at math :D hence asking what formula I should be using to figure out the most cost effective.

Doesn't quite work like that. The economy difference (and Stoich value) between E5 & E10 is 1.9%

Soldato
I have discovered a drawback to E10 for my own personal situation.

The local station where I often fill up with super only has it available on 4 of the 12 pumps. Now everyone who thinks E10 will instakill any car older than 2010 is queuing up to use those pumps and I have to wait longer :p

Caporegime
OP
I have discovered a drawback to E10 for my own personal situation.

The local station where I often fill up with super only has it available on 4 of the 12 pumps. Now everyone who thinks E10 will instakill any car older than 2010 is queuing up to use those pumps and I have to wait longer :p

Why can't people just check on the website like they're directed to? :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Its a proper pain in the bum for classic car owners, or multiple car/bike owners. I think anything carb-ed is very much susceptible to issues.

I am seeing problems in the carb bowls of my bikes, unless I run them regularly, or use a fuel stabiliser additive.

No different than when leaded was phased out - just use an additive.

Back
Top Bottom