PSU Making Chirping Cricket Sound

Associate
Does it 'tick' or 'chirp' when PC is shutdown? With the PC running it could be the fan bearings...
I have worked quite extensively with Switch Mode PSU's in Industry, and in my experience this usually indicates low resistance on one of the secondary rails, this could be caused by something connected, for instance motherboard causing the lower resistance, and not necessarily the PSU itself.
I would look into it though, because it usually ends up with the PSU going bang in the night....

Soldato
OP
Does it 'tick' or 'chirp' when PC is shutdown? With the PC running it could be the fan bearings...
I have worked quite extensively with Switch Mode PSU's in Industry, and in my experience this usually indicates low resistance on one of the secondary rails, this could be caused by something connected, for instance motherboard causing the lower resistance.
I would look into it though, because it usually ends up with the PSU going bang in the night....

I can confirm it is not the fan, It's not even moving, I'm replacing it anyway as I don't want to risk something going pop, I've had very bad luck with Corsairs RMi series sadly :(

Associate
On the product page, it states that the model has an 0rpm fan mode so the fan shouldn't be working when the PC is idle. So if that is not the fan producing that noise l would RMA the PSU.

Soldato
OP
On the product page, it states that the model has an 0rpm fan mode so the fan shouldn't be working when the PC is idle. So if that is not the fan producing that noise l would RMA the PSU.

Sadly an RMA is out of the question as I got it from the rainforest and that account is now gone due to being compromised so RMA is a no go.

I cannot recommend ASUS Thor (Seasonic) PSUs enough!

You read my mind as I was contemplating getting the Thor 850w platinum :)

Soldato
OP
You can get chirping noises when a fan gets a blip of power which isn't sufficient to actually make it move (or move much).

It's definitely coil whine, Pointed a mic at the PSU and it comes from 1 of the corners.

Just annoying as I quite like Corsairs RMi line due to the ability to monitor wattage use, Volts and temps.

Having read around more it seems the RMi series is very prone to chirping sounds, Probably why most places don't sell them anymore.

Soldato
OP
I hope you're keeping the mic at a distance, or the mic may just be picking up inaudible EM fields (mics use coils too)

I've also had the PSU outside the case and had my ear an inch away from it, It's a headache inducing high pitched sound that can be heard from across the room, I used the mic to try and pinpoint but only got a general area.

It used to be a lot quieter but now it's VERY audible.

Back
Top Bottom