Anything about this wheel that doesn't look quite right?

Soldato
It has been refurbished and the paint has been laid on very thick making it look like an accordion/have dark spots thanks to gravity.

Soldato
OP
So the wheel has been refurbished, there was a slight rash to the left of the tyre valve. Upon picking it up from the place that refurbished it looked great, but it was parked in the shade of the workshop.

Getting it back home where it's in the direct sun, you can see the colour is a) slightly darker but not that noticeable b) has a metallic speckle to it and c) they've sprayed way past the scratch?

It's not instantly noticeable, only if you get up and close. I posted it like this to see if it's just me being fussy, or if you were in my shoes, would you take it back?

Original rash:

Highlighted area where paint is darker and speckled:

Annoying on the rash side of things, I'm 99% certain this was created by a pot hole that are rife where I live. I literally can't think of a single time since I've had the car where I've parked next to a curb to the near side, and I'm sure if I had curbed it I would have felt the resistance, plus the rash is on top of the rim.

Caporegime
One of those things that’ll bug the crap out of you because you know about it but anybody else would never spot.

The very fact you’ve had to point it out confirms this, although I’m sure it’s far more noticeable in the flesh,ultimately though, if you’ve paid and are not happy, take it back.

Soldato
I had an alloy wheel refurbished once and the original paint was flecked but the area where they’d repainted wasn’t. Could only notice it if you were looking for it under artificial light. Didn’t really bother me much.

Soldato
OP
You've paid for a smart repair rather than a proper refurb so that's the cost of being cheap.

To be honest, I've never had a wheel repair or refurbishment completed so I didn't know what to expect. The place I took it to had great reviews and cost me 85 + VAT, they didn't talk me through any options such as have x done but expect y, or get the whole thing completed. Knowing my luck if I had been given the option of full refurbishment, I probably would have ended up with a completely different coloured wheel by the seems of things :cry:

Associate
The issue with spot repairs on metallic paint is if it's been sprayed at a different angle or direction to the original the metallic flake lays different and reflects the light differently to the original paint.
Would have been better to re-paint the whole wheel, then the flake direction wouldn't have been so noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom