Kitchen Hood extractor not.. extracting?

Soldato
Hey guys.

Everytime we cook, the kitchen gets awfully steamy/humid to a point it even sets the hallway fire alarm off.

The extractor definitely isn't doing much. It functions, makes all the correct fan like noises but doesn't seem to really do anything.

I took off the aluminium mesh filters to get access to the motor etc. Sort of feels like it's blowing air rather than pulling it in?

It's never really seemed right but lately its worse

Any tips appreciated

PXL-20210910-171630309.jpg

^^this side blows air quite a bit

PXL-20210910-171635308.jpg

This side feels like it's still blowing air but much weaker than the left side.

I haven't a clue about these so any help appreciated

Associate
this is where you find out theres no hole:) when the fil had his new house built the kitchen fitter didnt put a hole in the wall assuming the builder would was fun and games :)

Soldato
Looks similar to mine. I had to completely reroute the ducting, by drilling a 6" hole in the correct place because the kitchen fitters had completely bodged it by using undersized 4" ducting and bending it at right angles to match up with the incorrectly drilled hole in the wall, so it barely functioned.

You'll probably find it's blowing air instead of sucking because the duct above it is restricted.

Soldato
Do year hear a change in noise as you change level or does 3 sound the same as 1.
If they all sound same I would say either hose is restricted or more likely too small in diameter.

Soldato
OP
Do year hear a change in noise as you change level or does 3 sound the same as 1.
If they all sound same I would say either hose is restricted or more likely too small in diameter.

I'm not sure how loud they should be but it seems a bit noisy to me. Yeah definite change in fan noise between settings 1 thru 3. From a small plane to a Boeing 747 I'd say.. ok not THAT bad but it's not subtle

Soldato
@kinger8938 yeah they are not quiet appliances :D think yours is an electrolux group one from photos you posted most common things I see with hoods are usually install related or customer expectations.
Do you start it when you start cooking or to clear air during?
Also hold a pice of kitchen paper just under the mesh filter and see if it sucks it up.

Associate
Main issue I have found with extractor fans is that the cheaper end of the market is full of noisy but totally ineffectual units. We moved into a house that had a flash looking Neff unit but it was rubbish. It got noisier but no better at actually extracting. Eventually I managed to find a Siemens Series 8 extractor hood for £350 used and it has been a revelation. The fan now sucks powerfully all the time and the kitchen is always clear. Unfortunately it would have been a £1800 unit when new which shows how you need to spend a lot of money to get a good unit. The outside may be flashy and stainless steel/glass, etc, but the heart of a fan is the motor and as these are out of sight they tend to be poor quality items that are not able to do the job.

Another issue I found was that many units perform at their best with an 8" hose but many houses are built with only a 6" hose. I am trying to work out how I can possibly change our hose from 6 to 8 inch now.

Soldato
i beleive you might need to actually open that vent up on the outside and see what you can find inside...
perhaps the exraction pipe has been damaged or never even installed correctly.

Soldato
Another issue I found was that many units perform at their best with an 8" hose but many houses are built with only a 6" hose. I am trying to work out how I can possibly change our hose from 6 to 8 inch now.

I doubt many domestic extractors use larger than 6" ducting. For 8" ducting core drilling a 200mm hole in the wall would be pretty extreme. Plus the bigger then vent the more likelihood of a cold backdraught when not in use.

In your case it's better not to use a hose at all. Look at rigid ducting as this will reduce the internal resistance and make the fan perform better.

Soldato
At least that one extracts....was wondering why the extractor in this place seemed crap when we moved in. Took it apart and realised it doesn't extract anywhere, just blows air around the room. Total waste of time!

Back
Top Bottom