Dimmable LED downlights turn real life in to 20FPS issue

Associate
Morning all,

I've been working on updating some of the lighting in my house (thanks for the help in the other thread, the new kitchen lights are perfect!). My next thing to look at is trying to sort a problem with some Aurora M10 LED downlights I've got in the bedroom fitted by previous owners...they are on a dimmer switch and essentially when they are on everything in real life seems to run at about 20fps...e.g. if you wave your hand in front of your face it jitters about...! Not sure how else to explain it!

My first thought is to ditch the dimmer (which buzzes a fair bit when in use) and on looking around it appears that some LEDs need specific dimmers to work properly. I'd like to try and keep a dimmer switch of some sort as they put NINE downlights in a fairly 'normal' sized bedroom (4x5 or so)...and without the dimmer it feels like I could get a tan off these things...

On looking around the Varilight Pro dimmer seems to be a good choice, but before I drop circa £30 (I need a double one), do you think it's worth a pop to get rid of my FPS problem or should I just ditch the dimmer for a switch and put on sun cream when I'm in there?

Or worse still...are the Aurora M10 lights old and crap compared to today's LEDs and I've gotta dump them and replace them all? There are a further 5 in a bathroom so im hoping not...

Associate
If I've read it correctly (I'm no electrician or expert) the dimmer they're currently on will need a minimum electrical load to work properly.
Say for example the dimmer switch requires a minimum of 40w draw to work properly and the 9 leds at say 4w each gives 36w, so under the minimum and as such tnhe lights flicker.
A dedicate led compatible dimmer switch should sort it. Their minimum required load is a lot lower.
Also, are the led lights you have actually dimmable versions?

Soldato
Thanks gort, yes definitely dimmable (I got the model number they are AU-FRLD811/30), looks like 10watt each.

I'm thinking of going for this dimmer:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-v-pro-2-gang-2-way-led-dimmer-switch-white/98455

Just hoping that the weird FPS thing (only way I can easily describe it really!) goes away and I haven't wasted £25...
The weird FPS thing is a subtle flicker.

I have some LEDs that do it but only when dimmed, its more noticeable to some people though, I believe everyone has a different sensitivity to it, I only really noticed it when the dog came in wagging its tale.

As for the switch you linked to, they are generally regarded as the go to dimmer switch.
Just changed some bulbs in my living room and using an Aurora smart dimmer the lights flicker quite badly above 70%, but tested using the V-Pro (non smart) Dimmer and they are absolutely fine.

Soldato
Used to see this under LED lights at home, made it look like my guitar strings were vibrating very slowly, like there were frames missing like you say and were always in focus. Strobe effect kind of thing.
They were dimmable and fitted with a dimmer but could see it even if they were set at 100%

Soldato
even varlight may not be up to it - the whole market is a mine-field ;
I don't really like the expense/control complexity of smart bulbs, but conventional dimmers that really work for leds are expensive/a niche product

interesting osram documents showing which dimmers work with their bulbs,
now have to find which dimmers are available in uk .... can't but believe their chart is valid for bulbs from other folks too.

41528739765_f28b1aa6ea_o_d.jpg

Associate
OP
I'm running into the exact same issue with AU-FRLD811/30, and even with a new dimmer (Varilight V-PRO LED), I can still see a noticeable strobe effect. @richieboy did you ever find a fix for your issue?
Unfortunately no, I am looking to replace them at some point but there is about 20 of them so I've found a good workaround is to use a lamp instead :D

Soldato
I'm using Varilight Pro dimmers and Sanlumia LED downlights from the rainforest this past 3 years since the new extension went up and bar one bulb failing, have not had any strobing problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom