Advice on stylus and sketchpads

Soldato
Advice on stylus and sketchpads
My daughter has shown a keen interest in drawing, and has recently requested that she can continue her small anime style productions in a digital environment.
She's asked about an electronic sketchpad and stylus or equivalent, specifically speaking about ipads and tablets type devices and the like.

I have absolutely no clue in this area, has we any graphic artists who use similar, what hardware and software combination do you use?
Does it integrate into a PC, or is it stand alone?
How expensive was your setup?

Caporegime
I use Photoshop/whatever and a Wacom Bamboo, however it looks more like you want something you can draw 'on to' rather than 'with' and look at a different screen.

If you do have an iPad, lots of people have done good results just with their drawing app and a pen.

Underboss
iPad, Apple Pencil and Procreate is a great digital art setup.

Doesn't need to be an iPad Pro either, as much as my daughter tries to tell me it does!!

Permabanned
Got my daughter an apple pencil she uses to draw on her ipad mini, works "ok".
Bought my son a cheap (possibly Wacom) 100 quid drawing tablet thing, which he used for a month or two now its in a drawer. Was actually pretty good but depending on your daughters age might be harder to use.

*edit, was a HUION Inspiroy

HUION Inspiroy Q11K V2 Wireless Drawing Tablet, Battery-free Stylus with Tilt Function Graphic Tablet Supports Mac Windows Android Ideal for Work from Home & Remote Learning: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Soldato
OP
Thanks very much for the info guys.
Sorry I was slow to come back to this.
I feel she wants something that she can physically 'draw' upon a screen, so I'll look that direction probably

Caporegime
Thanks very much for the info guys.
Sorry I was slow to come back to this.
I feel she wants something that she can physically 'draw' upon a screen, so I'll look that direction probably

It's definitely easier for doodling, and will be what she is more used to.

I'd see if there's anything more specific for the task otherwise something like an iPad with some software would do

Edit: you'll obviously need an apple pencil if you go down that route

Associate
iPad, Apple Pencil and Procreate is a great digital art setup.

Doesn't need to be an iPad Pro either, as much as my daughter tries to tell me it does!!

Galaxy Tab S is a cheaper android alternative. Doesn't have any apps as good as procreate, but there are still a few decent ones.

Soldato
Yes, and as per the post at the start of the thread, she wants to continue her small anime style productions in a digital environment.

Some people just want to derail threads tbh. Its also 2021 and wasting paper when you dont need to is only a good thing.

OP Im in a similar boat! My to be 8 year old has a new Ipad, well she will on Tuesday, so we are looking at similar as she herself loves to draw. We are looking at getting her an apple pencil for that side of things as they seem to be very good.

Soldato
Some people just want to derail threads tbh. Its also 2021 and wasting paper when you dont need to is only a good thing.

OP Im in a similar boat! My to be 8 year old has a new Ipad, well she will on Tuesday, so we are looking at similar as she herself loves to draw. We are looking at getting her an apple pencil for that side of things as they seem to be very good.
To be fair a brand new iPad and Apple pencil is a just a *bit* more environmentally destructive than a ream of 500 blank sheets of A4 and a few HBs. :cry:

Soldato
To be fair a brand new iPad and Apple pencil is a just a *bit* more environmentally destructive than a ream of 500 blank sheets of A4 and a few HBs. :cry:
Just a bit!! :cry:
Thing to bare in mind with drawing on an iPad is the feedback /friction from plastic on glass is NOTHING like the real thing and whilst the novelty may last a few weeks she may well end up going back to traditional media. You can get screen protectors which attempt to replicate the feeling of pencil on paper but without one the experience isn't all that brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom