Which Headphones do I go for?

Associate
Hey everyone, hope you’re all well

Need some help deciding which headphones to go for. I’ll mainly be using them for FPS games and in general gameplay

The ones I’m considering are:

- Steelseries Artic 7
- Astro A40TR
- Cool Master MH752
- Senheisser Game One

Ideally I’m not looking to spend a massive amount so please don’t suggest the best of the best as I just won’t have the funds :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
If you have quiet environment Sennheiser Game One has open design, which is easier to balance for good sound.
Also it makes it more comfortable than closed design headphones:
Besides noise closed design and pleather pads also isolate heat increasing risk of ears sweating.
Fabric/velour pads again breath and inside ear cup there's only driver in between ear and room air.​
But open design's down side is that it leaks all noise through almost completely unmuffled.
Meaning you hear noisy mechanical keyboards etc unless drowned by listening volume.

Though if you play single player games/don't want maximum competitiveness Sennheiser's bass would likely feel "unfun".
Beyerdynamic would have that price level headphone with some above neutral bass punch, balanced by Beyer's treble for details in gaming.
DT990 "Edition" has more decorated look and 3m long straight cable, while studio use meant DT990 Pro has coiled cable.

If you have some noise in environment Beyer's DT770 Pro would be really impressive for closed headphone of its price.
80 ohm version has straight cable, while 250 ohm version has coiled cable.

Beyerdynamic also has replacement ear pads available for reasonable price.
In fact they also sell pretty much all parts as spare part to keep headphones going instead of needing to buy new one.
Most of gaming stuff is again pretty much disposable.

Associate
How are you connecting your headphones.
High Ohms needs power.
I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) for gaming powered by a FiiO K5 pro.
Bought back in 2016. Now modded for detachable cable.

If I were buying, for PC connection, it would be Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 Ohm)

The other half prefers her Phillips SHP9500 (25 Ohm) with detachable cable.

It is difficult to know, without trying, if the ear space will be large enough or the headband of a comfortable size.
The best headphones are useless if you can't wear them for 5 minutes without discomfort.

No disrespect to any you have listed but they are all sold by 'gaming' companies.
If you want good headphones buy from a company that makes audio products first and foremost, IMO.

Soldato
High Ohms needs power
Wrong.
Ohms don't tell anything about need of electric power per dB.

It tells only how much there's resistance for current and low ohm headphones draw high current even from low input voltage.
High ohm headphones again draw very little current unless input voltage is very high.
And it's the product of both current and voltage which is the electric power.

Need for power is decided by efficiency (sensitivity is rather bad term) in converting that electric power to sound pressure, which has no direct connection to ohms.
There can be different impedance versions of the same cans and all of them can require basically same amount of electric power to produce same SPL.
Low ohm ones just draw that power as high current, which is the thing causing stress on supply.
While low current of high ohm cans is easy load for as long as supplying device's operating voltage is enough.

In fact some of the most demanding headphones have lowish impedance.
For example AKGs are some of the most power hungry commonly available headphones. (more power hungry than any Beyers)
And some early Hifimans pretty much required small speaker amplifier to satisfy their craving for electric power.

Soldato
I have had my Senheisser Game One for about a year now, I find them super comfortable the sound is good. Its my first openback headphones and i don't think i would go back to closed.

Back
Top Bottom