petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Utter tripe. Old school Nasher nonsense.

Most people in the public sector do so despite the poor pay. They get better conditions and (got) pensions to help make up for it. 95% of my colleagues aren't going anywhere else apart from a better job in the public sector.

Not anymore, skilled staff are leaving and can't be replaced.

I work in the public sector and have for 10 years. I could jump ship and pretty much double my wages now and am looking at doing it...

Soldato
The studies I found show a 5% decrease in wages due to immigration, where is the other 25-30% coming from? Let me guess you don't have anything to back up your thoughts? Probably only some screenshots of newspapers?

Immigration hasn’t depressed wages, the market has. Ultimately consumers will have to accept higher costs if we’re going to pay people a fair wage. Abuse of migrant labour was just a solution to the problem of industries that couldn’t or wouldn’t charge a fair price for their products.

This is why I don’t understand the overlap between Conservative economics and Brexit. You either have a free market or you don’t. The state is now having to intervene to prop up the economy so is it time for them to admit free market capitalism has failed?

Associate
Immigration hasn’t depressed wages, the market has. Ultimately consumers will have to accept higher costs if we’re going to pay people a fair wage. Abuse of migrant labour was just a solution to the problem of industries that couldn’t or wouldn’t charge a fair price for their products.

They wouldn't have been able to keep wages low without excess supply of labour, initially from Poland, then later Romanian, Bulgaria, and who knows where they would have tried next.
This was caused directly by the choices of the Blair government and how they implemented the accession of new EU members.
It wasn't the market keeping wages low, it was government intervention into the labour market.

Soldato
I witnessed someone pull in to a garage earlier on and put £9 worth of fuel in, it definitely wasn’t empty either as I heard the pump stop once it was full.

What’s wrong with people?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Assume everyone will be delighted at substantial price rises for literally everything to fund wage rises.

Labour costs only form a small part of the cost of goods (services is slightly different). I remember some research that showed a 20% increase in wages to meet minimum wage introductions only resulted in around 0.4% increase in the price of goods.

When someone says wage increases will just be wiped out by price increases they are talking out of their bottom.

Permabanned
Labour costs only form a small part of the cost of goods (services is slightly different). I remember some research that showed a 20% increase in wages to meet minimum wage introductions only resulted in around 0.4% increase in the price of goods.

When someone says wage increases will just be wiped out by price icnreases they are talking out of their bottom.

Naive to think it won't. These cutthroat corporations will either squeeze the haulage places out of existence or raise prices.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Naive to think it won't. These cutthroat corporations will either squeeze the haulage places out of existence or raise prices.

I'm not disputing prices wont rise, but they wont rise significantly due to wage increases.

Soldato
Because local government are mostly ***** and can't get employed elsewhere.

You know everyone realises that your the internet version of the guy who just talks absolute rubbish down the pub right? But it's 2021 and we have access to the internet so we can immediately disprove all the garbage that comes out of your mouth? How can you be so consistently wrong? On everything. Honestly mate on a True\False quiz, 100 questions, I'd expect you to get every single question wrong, and be so confident as well. :D

Soldato
Don't know if been said but can we not use the already trained drivers we have in the armed forces to use as a temporary stop gap? Why desn't the government setup a fast track hgv training scheme?

Soldato
Got a 70 mile return journey on Tuesday and 60 miles left in the tank with the local station out of fuel. Might have to look to do a car share. :p

Associate
Don't know if been said but can we not use the already trained drivers we have in the armed forces to use as a temporary stop gap? Why desn't the government setup a fast track hgv training scheme?

There ARE enough drivers.

Address why they don't want to work instead of making soldiers do it or reduce standards even further

Associate
If they don't want to work train some people up who do :confused:

They don't want to do it.

How many times does this need explaining. The workforce has been deserting the industry for years, both native and immigrant workers. The eastern European guys were leaving long before Brexit. IR35, stagnant pay, improving conditions back home.

Ask yourself why you don't want to do the job.

Same reasons as everyone else I bet.

Make the job more attractive and maybe the 300000+ license holders might consider coming back to the industry, or maybe we can attract new ones as well.

Back
Top Bottom