Didn’t know that.

Man of Honour
While browsing a book, entitled, “I never knew that about London”, on a second hand book stall in an East End street market, I came across this little gem.
“London Bridge suffered so much congestion, that in 1722 it became the first place in Britain where it was made compulsory to drive on the left.”

Soldato
You “drive” a horse drawn carriage.

Yes indeed :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_(horse)

Driving, when applied to horses, ponies, mules, or donkeys, is a broad term for hitching equines to a wagon, carriage, cart, sleigh, or other horse-drawn vehicle by means of a harness and working them in this way. It encompasses a wide range of activities from pleasure driving, to harness racing, to farm work, horse shows, and even international combined driving.

Soldato
While browsing a book, entitled, “I never knew that about London”, on a second hand book stall in an East End street market, I came across this little gem.
“London Bridge suffered so much congestion, that in 1722 it became the first place in Britain where it was made compulsory to drive on the left.”
And to set you up for what can only be the easiest question to ask a London cabby - what is the only road in the UK where you drive on the opposite side?

Man of Honour
OP
Savoy Court

Go to the top of the class Silver Tongue, perhaps the question should have been, which is the only road in U.K. where it is mandatory to drive on the right, both in and out?
Taxi lore says that it was introduced so that cabs could drop fares off at the Savoy Theatre without blocking the Savoy Hotel entrance and exit.

Caporegime
Go to the top of the class Silver Tongue, perhaps the question should have been, which is the only road in U.K. where it is mandatory to drive on the right, both in and out?
Taxi lore says that it was introduced so that cabs could drop fares off at the Savoy Theatre without blocking the Savoy Hotel entrance and exit.

Taxi lore on that sounds about right.

Permabanned
Didn’t know that...

Neither the Americans or the British wanted that ‘funny little car’ that they found in the ruins of a bombed factory...
So they let the Germans keep it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Didn’t know that...

Neither the Americans or the British wanted that ‘funny little car’ that they found in the ruins of a bombed factory...
So they let the Germans keep it.

Best bit about that was Sir William (later Lord) Rootes' reaction.

"The project will fail within two years" and the car "is quite unattractive to the average motorcar buyer, is too ugly and noisy .... If you think you're going to build cars in this place, you're a bloody fool, young man"

Said to Major Ivan Hirst of the REME who was running the Wolfsburg factory at the time. So the Germans kept control, 21,529,464 Beetles got built and the Rootes Group hasn't existed for ~50 years.

Permabanned
Why we drive on the left...
Seems it goes back to Roman times.
Horses & carts etc would be led by the left hand, so that a weapon could be drawn if necessary
The rest of Europe changed due to Napoleon...as he was left handed.
Americans... just goes back to how they used to ride their horses & wagens.
They would pass on the right.
In the days of Gentlemen... when walking on the pavement, they would stand roadside of their partners... to shield them from the rain or any passing carriages etc.

Soldato
And to set you up for what can only be the easiest question to ask a London cabby - what is the only road in the UK where you drive on the opposite side?

Well, it's had to believe it's the only road - but the entry road to the car park on Antrobus Street in Congleton. Because the road it leads to is a one-way street with traffic coming from the left, so you enter and leave by driving on the right - otherwise cars entering and leaving would have to cross over each other.

Soldato
Did cabbies suck their teeth when you asked them to take you south of the Thames at night back then?

Man of Honour
OP
Did cabbies suck their teeth when you asked them to take you south of the Thames at night back then?

The first hackney-carriage licences date from a 1662 Act of Parliament, so they could have done but I doubt it, London was so much smaller then, but I guess that a couple of guys carrying a sedan chair might have jibbed at going up Brixton Hill!
Personally I never broomed any job, providing a fare looked like he could pay me I’d go North, South, East, or West.
I certainly encountered some miserable s.o.b’s when I asked for Bermondsey in the seventies and early eighties, they’d come out with some right fairy tales to avoid going South.
Eventually, as soon as they stopped for me I’d get in, sit down and say, “Southwark Park Road, please.”
They could say what they liked then, I’d stand my ground until they gave in.
It would be a tense, silent ride then, but as long as I got home that didn’t worry me.

Soldato
The closest I've come to having a serious accident was in the "English road" we have here in Monterrey. For some unknown reason, you have to drive on the left on that particular road.
I entered a shopping centre through another normal road, and came out on the "English road" which at the time was only signposted at the entrance and exit of the road, not at the exit of the shopping centre. An E43 was coming pretty fast and missed me by a few inches. It would have been my fault, but it was clearly a huge error on the part of the shopping centre to not put a sign, and they corrected it a few days later. It still catches out a few people who miss the sign though.

Soldato
The first hackney-carriage licences date from a 1662 Act of Parliament, so they could have done but I doubt it, London was so much smaller then, but I guess that a couple of guys carrying a sedan chair might have jibbed at going up Brixton Hill!
Personally I never broomed any job, providing a fare looked like he could pay me I’d go North, South, East, or West.
I certainly encountered some miserable s.o.b’s when I asked for Bermondsey in the seventies and early eighties, they’d come out with some right fairy tales to avoid going South.
Eventually, as soon as they stopped for me I’d get in, sit down and say, “Southwark Park Road, please.”
They could say what they liked then, I’d stand my ground until they gave in.
It would be a tense, silent ride then, but as long as I got home that didn’t worry me.

I found waving a £20 note whilst saying “Stockwell Road, please!” in a cheery voice worked wonders.

Back
Top Bottom