petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Associate
simple, idiots the lot of them.

What about people who actually need the fuel to get to and around for work. Not to mention the traffic its causing everywhere for people who dont even want the fuel

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

No it's not that simple. The AI can't make decisions for itself, it's not really an AI just a load of scripts and pre-programmed routines. It can't look at the surrounding environment and use that make a judgement call like a person can. It won't look around and see workmen or work vehicles to decide if it's legit, just the sign, road and other traffic.

That will change very soon.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

"Soon" like fusion power will be ready soon. Maybe sometime within the next 100 years.

You know they are closer than ever to fusion power don't you?

AI driven autonomous vehicles will be common place on UK roads within 10 years.

FYI, I am involved with some AI as part of my Ph.D so I have a pretty good grasp on where it is and where it is going.

Associate
Genuine pita. Queued for 20 minutes today after going to 3 bloody stations - we did need fuel as the petrol light was on!

Soldato
No it's not that simple. The AI can't make decisions for itself, it's not really an AI just a load of scripts and pre-programmed routines. It can't look at the surrounding environment and use that make a judgement call like a person can. It won't look around and see workmen or work vehicles to decide if it's legit, just the sign, road and other traffic.

FYI, I am involved with some AI as part of my Ph.D so I have a pretty good grasp on where it is and where it is going.

I too thought the AI neural net aspect is oversold - we had a thread on autonomous driving V

On a different topic of waymo - are there any good articles on the computing techniques being used to make decisions about how the car makes control decisions ?
there is lots of information on deep-learning/neural nets/AI for image identification/decomposition, but for the control decisions it seems much more of a conventional/linear coding strategy.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ret-testing-and-simulation-facilities/537648/
... so how many lines of code, how much data in the car ....

Caporegime
I see Farage has the solution - Brexit. He says one of the many benefits of Brexit is now we have sovereignty back we can abolish tachographs and allow U.K. drivers to work as many hours as they want instead of being stupidly restricted right now. You just couldn’t make it up.

Man of Honour
I see Farage has the solution - Brexit. He says one of the many benefits of Brexit is now we have sovereignty back we can abolish tachographs and allow U.K. drivers to work as many hours as they want instead of being stupidly restricted right now. You just couldn’t make it up.

And he'll be the first one to get behind the wheel as long as it takes I'm sure...

Man of Honour
Hope things ease up - I've avoided filling up so far but down to about 3 days worth of fuel now on my pickup. Most places either still had no fuel tonight or had a delivery in the afternoon but it had gone within a couple of hours. There was one garage with fuel but 8 miles the opposite direction to my journey home. One of the garages on my way home has fuel but they've jacked the price up to crazy amounts.

I'd thought after a day or so things would have calmed down but still seems to be a lot of people hitting the fuel stations the moment they have fuel.

Soldato
And now you're starting to worry about it which is the situation everyone was in when the announcement was made by the govt so they think they'll fill up "just in case" and so we're in the situation we're in now. If I said to myself I'm going to follow the govt advice and just carry on and fill up as per normal routine then I'd have not much left in the tank and empty filling stations for miles around. It only works when everyone obeys the same rules once one person breaks rank everyone does because if they don't they'll get left behind. Domino effect.

Its not unique and its entirely predictable the banking crisis was the same thing the entire banking system relies on confidence if something happens to spook that confidence then people will rush en masse to withdraw their cash its known as a run on the bank and can and has lead to the collapse of banks historically This is a run on the pumps. The govt really hasn't learnt anything from history.

Man of Honour
And now you're starting to worry about it which is the situation everyone was in when the announcement was made by the govt so they think they'll fill up "just in case" and so we're in the situation we're in now. If I said to myself I'm going to follow the govt advice and just carry on and fill up as per normal routine then I'd have not much left in the tank and empty filling stations for miles around. It only works when everyone obeys the same rules once one person breaks rank everyone does because if they don't they'll get left behind. Domino effect.

Its not unique and its entirely predictable the banking crisis was the same thing the entire banking system relies on confidence if something happens to spook that confidence then people will rush en masse to withdraw their cash its known as a run on the bank and can and has lead to the collapse of banks historically This is a run on the pumps. The govt really hasn't learnt anything from history.

About 3 days or so of myself and my colleagues not getting to work and the country would be in chaos LOL... it would be somewhat ironic mind.

Though it will be more than 3 days before I can't get to work - that is just my pickup.

Soldato
Yep I'm a fool. I didn't want to be part of the problem and waited until I'd normally fill up and... there's NOTHING around the E14 area where I work, zero. The 24hr places seem to have left their phones off the hook too and I don't want to end up in Bow or somewhere running on fumes lol.

I've got enough to get home and then go out and fill up somewhere local but I signed up for overtime Mon/Tues night and now I'll have to get public transport unless there's something available on my route home this morning, which adds an hour onto my commute each way. FFS.

Caporegime
Yep I'm a fool. I didn't want to be part of the problem and waited until I'd normally fill up and... there's NOTHING around the E14 area where I work, zero. The 24hr places seem to have left their phones off the hook too and I don't want to end up in Bow or somewhere running on fumes lol.

I've got enough to get home and then go out and fill up somewhere local but I signed up for overtime Mon/Tues night and now I'll have to get public transport unless there's something available on my route home this morning, which adds an hour onto my commute each way. FFS.

Yet someone got abuse earlier for making sure they could get to work next week...

Soldato
That’s the weird thing about human behaviour and lack of rationality. Doing the “right thing” sometimes puts you at a disadvantage.

Self interest and the law of the jungle still seem to rule. Human beings are not rational!

Soldato
Yet someone got abuse earlier for making sure they could get to work next week...

The point you are missing is that had everyone adopted the same mentality as Somnambulist, then everyone would have the fuel they need. It was a self fulfilling (pardon the pun) prophecy because so many people rushed out to get fuel at the same time.

Now we come to the paradox in all this, who were the real idiots? The people who were part of the problem because they panic bought fuel before it "ran out", or the ones who "rationally" waited?

In hindsight we see that people are idiots, so it is best to be an idiot to compete. Even if every rational bone in your body tells you to remain calm and wait. I wonder how many could see how it was going and concluded, "I will go get fuel at 3:00am before these morons use it all up".

I saw a post of someone without any hint of irony claiming he had set his alarm for 4:30am to go get fuel, then complain that when he got to the garage, "all these idiots were there at 5:00am".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom