petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Thankfully quite quiet around where I live. Village but big enough for a Tesco with a petrol station.
Went to top up (needed to!) after work at 6am and didn't have to wait but was busier than usual. All Momentum 99 fuel run out so I filled up half a tank with normal unleaded.
Hopefully stocks are up a bit next week.

Caporegime
Petrol station near me still has fuel, It's right on the edge of the city centre too on a main road.
the guys sitting there watching a screen like a hawk and manually stopping the pumps at 30

saw in the news some people filling water bottles with petrol lol...... those bottles won't last long the petrol eats the plastic really fast and I doubt the plastic in the petrol is good for any engine

Man of Honour
20 minute queue at 6am, but managed to get petrol. Fortunately didn’t have to sit on the huge double lane roundabout for too long! I would pick the lane where one guy gets out to visit the shop (move your car!) and the other decides to tidy the inside of his car (and then leaves the fuel cap off just as he’s about to drive away). Full tank of super bowl though, that’s good for 2 1/2 weeks. No spending limit, I squeezed every drop into the tank that I could :p

Soldato
Stuff like this highlights just how poor our public transport system is if you live and work anywhere other than a large town.
I mean honestly though, what is the solution? Unless you are able to manage your day entirely around a bus time table, it is just impossible to cater to all of the different shift patterns and locations to make it viable.

The sooner we can summon electric cars to drive to our houses, the better.

Caporegime
Stuff like this highlights just how poor our public transport system is if you live and work anywhere other than a large town.

Our company subsidies a bus service to try and attract new employees to come and work here from the local towns as it is in quite a remote location. It's quite a new thing that is being trialled but should be a good thing. Only charging a quid each way.

I am sure if companies could do this it would be good and I think historically this was the case for a lot of big firms yet you hardly see it anywhere now.

Soldato
Amazon have been doing that for their warehouse staff for years (via agencies), they dont even charge.

But yea public transport outside of the major cities is crap. Forget about it if you work in a rural area, you might get 2 buses a day if you're lucky.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Our company subsidies a bus service to try and attract new employees to come and work here from the local towns as it is in quite a remote location. It's quite a new thing that is being trialled but should be a good thing. Only charging a quid each way.

I am sure if companies could do this it would be good and I think historically this was the case for a lot of big firms yet you hardly see it anywhere now.
Yeah, I remember when I was in Reading at Oracle hopping on the free bus to riversway.

Soldato
Went to get fuel on normal run decided to aim for 7am at Tesco was in a queue for 5 mins to the pay at pump and out, Tesco got someone guiding the traffic coming into the petrol station.

People putting hazards on and going on wrong side of the road to escape will be carnage later when I left the queue was heavily building.

Tesco seems to be the way to go around here anyway getting deliverys twice daily.

Caporegime
You tend to let the car run down to fumes when you cover a reasonable mileage. Mine probably isn’t heavy compared with many but I tend to cover around 22-28k/year depending on my workload/clients. I’ll always brim and then run into the reserve over and over, this isn’t being cheap or stupid, this is to minimise fuel stops.

Current car has a 100L fuel tank which is bliss. Comfortably over 800miles between fills but I still run it into the reserve :p

This is what I think of now

Associate
If people have been panic buying fuel since Thursday / Friday , Why do we still have enormous queues, are people just continuously "topping up" ? I'd have thought anyone panic buying would have filled up by now... Getting frustrated with the knock on effect of traffic anywhere near a petrol station

Soldato
If people have been panic buying fuel since Thursday / Friday , Why do we still have enormous queues, are people just continuously "topping up" ? I'd have thought anyone panic buying would have filled up by now... Getting frustrated with the knock on effect of traffic anywhere near a petrol station

Lots of them don't have both types of fuel or any fuel at all so it is funnelling people into the ones that do.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom