Is this a stupid idea?

Soldato
I'm thinking about switching my day to day pc with my server pc.

current setups

pc: i7 4th gen 16gb ram 256ssd
server: mac mini (windows 10 pro) 8GB ram 320hdd

I only use the pc for the actual day to day stuff like browsing and email.
also, run a couple of VMs.

the server is for file and plex server.

was thinking I might use the mac for day to day stuff and move all the server stuff to the i7 machine.

I've got an android tv for watching media and an rp4 and 400 for retro gaming so I think I got all angles covered...

the core2duo coupled with the HDD is slow though... do you think id regret the move?

Associate
hmm depends what you do as a 'day to day' pc tbh.

If it's for light usage, general browsing internets etc, i'm sure it will be fine. Jayztwocents even did a video on AMD FX CPU saying they are still good for gaming - up to a point, and i'd probably sat the FX cpu are worse than the C2D

Associate
I wouldn't use a Mac mini as either a daily driver or a server (had terrible experiences with Mac mini servers in the past), but still think you're much better off the way you are.

Server hardware tends to not need to be so strong compared to desktop when in the home. Servers tend to be designed around giving sub-par performance to many people, instead of good performance to one person. As such in the home, as your serving just a few people, low end hardware servers tend to be just fine. It's also more typical to use spinning rust server side, especially for Linux and Mac.

Not having an SSD and 16 GB of RAM in my primary machine would drive me nuts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom