petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
No queue and full pumps at one on my commute now. Incoming slump in business over the next week as no one needs any fuel...

Followed by more rushes next week as people who all filled up together all start to run out together, yet more self-inflicted stupidity causing problems.

Soldato
Small queue for me today but nobody at one pump even though it reaches to the right hand side of the car :confused:

No limit at BP MnS and managed to fill up as I need it to do deliveries. That petrol station pretty much handles a local ambulance depot and loads of police cars that come from the local training college. I wonder if they kept a backup for those in need?

Last edited:
Soldato
This is doing the rounds on numerous trucking social media groups, roundly met with ridicule and derision.

One statement that stuck out to me, offering fixed hours, trust me, that never happens in this job.

I think it just means having a set start time, instead of a 4hr (or whatever) window so you could be starting at a different time each day/week

my dad got one of these letters...he's over 70!

Man of Honour
They guarantee your start time yet never your finish time, that’s why fixed hours is a laughable statement.

Some of our guys are on legacy "fixed" hour contracts - the only fixed aspect is they get paid I think 8 hours 15 minutes minimum even if they work less. Not gonna go into the rest for reasons.

my dad got one of these letters...he's over 70!

I see far too many existing drivers who look like they should be a in wheelchair not behind the wheel - that is a lot of why we are heading towards a crisis.

Soldato
Spent another hour this evening in London looking for petrol. Its impossible right now the government are so out of touch! :rolleyes:

I went to a large Shell station with 16 pumps they said they run dry everyday this week within 2 hours of the tanker refill! :eek:

I see no signs its easing in London at all quite the opposite it seems to be getting worse as drivers are now parking outside the station or on the actual forecourt!

Soldato
I got stuck in 2 separate traffic jams this evening while trying to make a short 15min journey, both caused by massive queues for different petrol stations. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Tell me about it! Spent almost 2 hours monday night in a massive traffic jam to move the 50 metres I needed to make the turn in front of a bus lane :rolleyes: to avoid the PCN. Took 2 lots of police cars to stop the unrest at the forecourt & get the traffic moving again :(

Soldato
Stroke of luck this morning on the way to work.
Fuel computer ticked over to zero miles left as I went past our local Morrisons just as the tanker left the forecourt
Straight in with about 10 other cars to fill up. :D
As I left 10 mins later queue was best part of 1/4 mile

Associate
Last time I relied on the fuel warning light was many many years ago.
Car run out and juddered to a halt, then the bloody light came on. Caused quite a sizable traffic jam just before the Hanger Lane roundabout in London. I had to do the walk of shame with a fuel can past a lot of very unhappy people.

Soldato
The Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), which represents two-thirds of UK filling stations, said forecourts across the UK were continuing to take deliveries – with just 27 per cent of its members reporting being out of fuel on Wednesday, down from 37 per cent yesterday.

Soldato
Spent another hour this evening in London looking for petrol. Its impossible right now the government are so out of touch! :rolleyes:

I went to a large Shell station with 16 pumps they said they run dry everyday this week within 2 hours of the tanker refill! :eek:

I see no signs its easing in London at all quite the opposite it seems to be getting worse as drivers are now parking outside the station or on the actual forecourt!

Brighton is the same I actually pass 6 filling stations on the way to work and right now one has fuel and long queues and that'll be dry by tomorrow unless theres a miracle. Local tv news is all about people driving around looking for fuel

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19611847.recap-petrol-station-chaos-shell-bp-stations-close/

Soldato
I see no signs of improvement in London. 27% out of fuel is simply not right in London. I haven't seen one with fuel in my local area
Pretty much same for me - seen a few with Diesel and that's it. Fuels now to low in the car to go hunting for the stuff so I've cancelled upcoming trips and will wait for this all to blow over before using it again. Will have to use Uber if I get called out for work

Soldato
Nipped out to see Dad earlier - local Esso to me had both E10 and normal diesel. Sign said £30 limit. No queue.

Shell further up the road had diesel, no petrol. Couple of taxis filling up there. No queue.

Was tempted by a visit to the infamous Phil McCann meme BP station near Dads, but figured I'd be a good boy and save my 3/4 of a tank. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom