Which sockets do u use?

Soldato
Hi guys I am looking for the brushed steel finish
I need 2 x usb sockets and 2 x normal ones for the kitchen.

which ones should I go for? Lap look average
British general mmm And mk are they any good?

Soldato
Don't waste your money on USB sockets. The standard changes too often for it to make any sense.

(Edit: I have had good experience with LAP)

Soldato
I've bought LAP from Screwfix and they're no better than MK or BG. Terminals are ok for wiring and finish (I've got black nickel) is great.

Don't waste your money on USB sockets.
Care to elaborate because the new USB sockets I've just installed in the new kitchen are brilliant. Hardly a waste of money.

Soldato
I've bought LAP from Screwfix and they're no better than MK or BG. Terminals are ok for wiring and finish (I've got black nickel) is great.

Care to elaborate because the new USB sockets I've just installed in the new kitchen are brilliant. Hardly a waste of money.
Went over this in another thread. It is obviously personal preference. But broadly it is because charges are no longer dumb bits of wire forcing juice down a cable. With each iteration of new mobile phone you are seeing changes to charging standards, improvements in fast charging, battery protection technologies etc.

I put sockets in my "buy once in a lifetime" category rather than throw away every 2-3 years to keep up with the latest standards.

Soldato
OP
I think usb sockets have prob got better nowadays

So would you all say lap are still good?
I actually have lap sockets everywhere since 2016. Out of like 30/40 of em only a single socket for a light went wrong and screwfix replaced it

But im looking for my friend now who is getting his kitchen done up and needs some new sockets
Not sure how lap/mk/bg are at in 2021

Soldato
I think usb sockets have prob got better nowadays
They've got better because the standards keep improving.

Not many of these USB sockets can sustain two devices at full power at once, not many can trigger superfast charging on devices like Samsung Galaxies etc.

OK for occasional use but don't think they're a total replacement for your normal phone charger.

My preference is Lap for sure.

Associate
Not everybody wants to charge at full power all of the time.
Sometimes, this type of socket provides convenience, especially with children.
It also frees up the 3 pin sockets for other things. Surprisingly, there are other things in the world, not just phones.
My bedside wireless phone pads run off the USB ports fine. This leaves me the sockets free for lamps and other items.

In response to the OP who asked a genuine question, I chose the BG ones in brushed steel. They have been faultless.
Various Amp ratings are available, shared across the ports.
If you avoid the big box sellers, you can pick them up at decent prices online.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So no particular reason for brushed steel.

it is iust i got them in my house and i like it
Will show em the black nickel also
Up to them end of the day
Im the one fitting em though lol

Associate
LAP and BG are OK Quality. My personal choice for electrical furniture these days is Scolmore, Click Define Range. I have used brushed Nickel as my choice. IMHO their material quality is better than Screwfix / B&Q's offerings.

Soldato
But im looking for my friend now who is getting his kitchen done up and needs some new sockets

We just had a new kitchen fitted, I went for the sparky's recommendation of BG brushed steel range. Now it's all done we love them - look very smart, sleek and feel good quality too. They compliment the kitchen nicely.

This is where I got them from (link here), very well priced at City Plumbing.

Associate
I’ve fitted Varilight brushed chrome sockets and switches throughout the house.
They’re more expensive than BG, but i think they look better.

Soldato
I feel like the title of this thread uses text speak and should therefore be condemned with fire until the original poster can learn to communicate correctly.

This may not seem like a helpful post but it is

Back
Top Bottom