Can you still use a hdmi 2.0 cable

Soldato
From my pc/current GPU (1070ti) in a 120hz oled just for general pc work and movie viewing. I realise that to game at 120hz I would need a GTX3070 series GPU which supports hdmi 2.1.

However, given their lack of availability at a reasonable price, I wondering whether I could simply use the hardware I currently have up until the 3070 series become widely available at a reasonable price.

I'm assuming my 1070ti is only hdmi 2.0/b compatible and I would be hoping to still be able to use it with one of the new 48inch hdmi 2.1 oleds with VRR until as such time to upgrade the card to layer take advantage of its potential.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
From my pc/current GPU (1070ti) in a 120hz oled just for general pc work and movie viewing. I realise that to game at 120hz I would need a GTX3070 series GPU which supports hdmi 2.1.

However, given their lack of availability at a reasonable price, I wondering whether I could simply use the hardware I currently have up until the 3070 series become widely available at a reasonable price.

I'm assuming my 1070ti is only hdmi 2.0/b compatible and I would be hoping to still be able to use it with one of the new 48inch hdmi 2.1 oleds with VRR until as such time to upgrade the card to layer take advantage of its potential.

Thanks

Yes will work fine. Could use your current HDMI cable with a RTX 3070 and your TV, would just mean you get picture issues usually in case you try to drive it at 4K @ 120hz with all the bells and whistles. Regardless in your case a non-issue as you point out your current card can only put out HDMI 2.0/b bandwidth so any cable that your using now will be perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom