petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Esso here queues this morning when I went for a run, big queues tonight at Tesco when I went to go for MOT gridlocking the roundabouts it hasnt stopped around here thats for sure!

They stopped the fuel posts on the Facebook group aswell.

Soldato
The Shell at the Fiveways on the A20 just got a delivery and it's mad busy before the tanker had even unloaded. I walked up and they have one pump coned off for people with bikes or cans so I was able to get 5 litres to fill my wife's moped which is dry so she can go to work at 4am tomorrow. My son got his bike filled as well (and asked me to pay the little scrote!) Did not take the car as I have half a tank (aren't I a saint?)

Soldato
I can see people camping outside stations in the evenings! Been the last couple of days that car park other side of Esso has cars sitting with people in it! Never was a thing before that. Now of course I am presuming that that is what's going so can't be sure!

Soldato
I can see people camping outside stations in the evenings! Been the last couple of days that car park other side of Esso has cars sitting with people in it! Never was a thing before that. Now of course I am presuming that that is what's going so can't be sure!

There was a queue of cars parked up outside the filling station at sainsburys last night that was odd but on second look they all had people sitting in them! Lights off. It was so strange I had to do a double take and nearly hit a car coming the other way into the carpark. Not sure what they were doing to be honest but it didn't do them any good theres been no delivery today and the pumps are still closed. Actually every single pump within 25 miles is empty not a drop to had anywhere.

Caporegime
Drove right into a station in Edinburgh without any queues at all this evening and was able to fill up without issue. Y'all are crazy down south.

Man of Honour
Here comes the Army from Monday!

I guess it is to try and reassure people into not panic buying because there isn't really a supply issue for the most part.

Fuel station near work had a delivery at around 10pm - was queued back around 500m at one point - I still had to queue a little at 2am but fortunately they still had fuel and weren't limiting the amount at 2. From what I could see while waiting most people were just brimming already close to full tanks - I didn't see anyone go over £5.xx.

Fortunately managed to fill up as I was getting down to fumes.

Man of Honour
You sat in a queue for fuel at 2am and hardly anyone else in it bought more than 3.5 litres of fuel?

Really?

Yup really it is nuts around here. People are tracking the tankers on Facebook and descending like locusts to brim their tanks/fill containers. Two nights ago the queues to get in the garages were causing 20 minute delays at 5am!

Dunno what it is like elsewhere but you'd literally think people had lost their minds here the last few days.

It is especially frustrating as aside from Thursday when a hit and run closed the main road there has been zero shortage of supplies.

EDIT: I expect there were people buying more than that but the ones I could see while waiting were all just brimming.

Last edited:
Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58767230

This made me laugh. 20 cars ended up tailing a tanker driver, thinking he was delivering fuel. They followed him to a building site, he stopped, and they asked him which filling station he was delivering to.

Driver had to tell them the truck was full of mortar. One of the car drivers had the audacity to say he could have stopped earlier and told them he wasn't delivering fuel :cry:

Soldato
Yup really it is nuts around here. People are tracking the tankers on Facebook and descending like locusts to brim their tanks/fill containers. Two nights ago the queues to get in the garages were causing 20 minute delays at 5am!

Dunno what it is like elsewhere but you'd literally think people had lost their minds here the last few days.

It is especially frustrating as aside from Thursday when a hit and run closed the main road there has been zero shortage of supplies.

EDIT: I expect there were people buying more than that but the ones I could see while waiting were all just brimming.

I just queued for about 15 mins to get £30 of diesel which wasn't too bad. The guy on the counter said they had a delivery at 4am and people were queueing on the road until the garage was reopen. Said it was busier then than when I went at about 8.15.

Soldato
Wife has just been to Morrisons and filled up, nearly empty so was ready but said there wasn't any queues and no limits to the amount you could have, we've always run the car to 1/4 tank and then brimmed it for years but this time went a bit further to try and get past the chaos as we never really do many miles (usually 2 tanks a month).

I guess the army coming in is to try and appease the panic buyers, loved the story about the mortar tanker, shows how stupid people really are, they followed him for miles burning fuel that they couldn't apparently go without and then had a go at the lorry driver, I would've given them some right abuse if I was the lorry driver, honestly think we've peaked as a species and we're on a race to the bottom now.

Soldato
Got petrol again yesterday, sadly no vpower, no queues either however.
suppose if they are deciding which type of petrol to ship - vpower will have the highest margin

... but, aside from the petrol queues at tesco+js this morning N Cambridge - it is the persistantly near empty cereal shelves in js+waitrose; js setting up shelving/goods for xmas;
& from morning news need to reserve that Polish/French turkey for xmas day reminder of brexit, too.

Soldato
suppose if they are deciding which type of petrol to ship - vpower will have the highest margin

... but, aside from the petrol queues at tesco+js this morning N Cambridge - it is the persistantly near empty cereal shelves in js+waitrose; js setting up shelving/goods for xmas;
& from morning news need to reserve that Polish/French turkey for xmas day reminder of brexit, too.

Hence why I am surpried that vpower is dry but standard E10 is available.

Back
Top Bottom