*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I hope a fresh install is not needed, I have changed the insider settings to stop at release. Hopfully it will just drop out to the release version at that point.

Soldato
I purchased a "full" Windows 10 Pro USB and auth code..im curious as to how it will let me do a fresh wipe, in having W10 on the USB? I understand that an upgrade to W11 Pro will be (hopefully) straight forward enough?

Soldato
I purchased a "full" Windows 10 Pro USB and auth code..im curious as to how it will let me do a fresh wipe, in having W10 on the USB? I understand that an upgrade to W11 Pro will be (hopefully) straight forward enough?

Is it a legit one? If from ebay or something then personally I would use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, it will download a clean and up to date image of Windows 10 and create a bootable USB for you. You can still use the key you bought. And yes the Windows 11 upgrade will be done via Windows Update, it's very simple.

Associate
Is it a legit one? If from ebay or something then personally I would use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, it will download a clean and up to date image of Windows 10 and create a bootable USB for you. You can still use the key you bought. And yes the Windows 11 upgrade will be done via Windows Update, it's very simple.
I bought 2 windows 10 pro keys 2 years ago from kinguin no problems with those. I did need to ring to Activate though as per the instructions.

Soldato

Yeah, it was an official W10 Pro key and USB drive.

Soldato
In which case you're good to go.

Will be upgrading my gaming PC. No way am I doing a clean install. I don't think... :D

nice. and yeah, I will probably end up with a fresh install!! :D

I dont have much on my OS drive, just the usual, discord, spotify, steam etc..so hopefully a upgrade wont "clutter" too much! lol

Associate
Does anyone know if there will be a Windows 11 media creation tool?

Windows update is broken and no matter what I do I cannot fix it, the W10 assistance ran and only gives me the option for a clean install so passed on this.

Would rather do a upgrade to W11 and then a fresh install after than re install W10

I would be surprised if there wasn’t. When I do eventually move to Win11 it will be a fresh install.

Soldato
I would be surprised if there wasn’t. When I do eventually move to Win11 it will be a fresh install.
I always prefer a fresh install to upgrades.

When W10 came out I did the in place upgrade and made sure Windows was activated then I did a clean install after. Going to do the same with this but as Windows updates do not work and I cannot get it to work I cannot get W11 via Windows updates.

Associate
Not 100% if this works as not tried it with Win11 but I would imagine if you have a product code you can enter it during the setup process, or at least you could with Win10 and it would then allow the upgrade.

Soldato
Anyone know if you can just click the "I don't have a product code right now" and windows 11 will detect your registered Windows 10 key? on a fresh install of 11? as id prefer to do it fresh, Not an upgrade.

That's what I've always done with fresh install of windows 10,just selected "I don't have a product code right now" and when its loaded to desktop its activated itself.

Just wondering in case i need to nab my Windows 10 product code before hand and write it down.

Soldato
Anyone know if you can just click the "I don't have a product code right now" and windows 11 will detect your registered Windows 10 key? on a fresh install of 11? as id prefer to do it fresh, Not an upgrade.

That's what I've always done with fresh install of windows 10,just selected "I don't have a product code right now" and when its loaded to desktop its activated itself.

Just wondering in case i need to nab my Windows 10 product code before hand and write it down.

If you sign with your microsoft account and your current windows 10 install is associated with it, I'd expect signing in on windows 11 would use that. I can't say for sure though. :p

I'd make a note just in case. Probably less effort than typing out your post and reading any replies.

Caporegime
Link to guides please? One of my machines is 4690K based too so I've not been able to change that through Windows update.

Scroll up a tiny little bit and look at mrk's last 2 posts.

Ok thanks, I tend to gloss over his posts most of the time but sounds like I'll have to read this one :p

:D

Well the script doesn't seem to have worked.

I'm still getting "Your PC does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11" in the insider programme area.

Secure Boot and GPT are definitely enabled and working. I've definitely run the script successfully too.

I did select the release preview channel (which I can't now change to Beta) so I wonder if MS have now removed the ability to bypass using the skip TPM on update script?

Next thing I'm going to try is a fresh install from an ISO, but I'm worried this will be wasting time too if they've nerfed this work around.

Soldato
Ok so got the ido win 11 194 made a bookable isolation gets the end if the install and says windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next pause of the installation. To install Windows restart the application ??? 2nd time now HELP PLease

Back
Top Bottom