What to wear for an interview on Teams

Soldato
Had one Teams interview...full office dress top half (shirt, tie, suit jacket) lounge pants and slippers.

No blurry background but some strategic tidying, angling of the webcam and good light. CV and notes on another screen.

Interviewer did have a blurred background and confessed it was because her wine rack was directly behind her :D

My smart attire was mentioned and seemed to be a positive but didn't get the job and will probably think twice next time!

Hope you get it
https://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2539/2242?

Associate
Had one Teams interview...full office dress top half (shirt, tie, suit jacket) lounge pants and slippers.

No blurry background but some strategic tidying, angling of the webcam and good light. CV and notes on another screen.

Interviewer did have a blurred background and confessed it was because her wine rack was directly behind her :D

My smart attire was mentioned and seemed to be a positive but didn't get the job and will probably think twice next time!

Hope you get it

This is the standard uniform i'd say. I did the same.

Soldato
OP
They want me to go for a second interview next Tuesday... today i told my work I was at the dentist so I think i'll say i'm having a filling/root canal and take the day off.

Man of Honour
I had an interview on teams recently where I wore a shirt and a tie. Part of my feedback was: lose the tie. I did the remainder of interviews in a smart jumper and a t-shirt.

Unless your the sort of person that wears a tie in your house regardless, I wouldn't wear one. It will make you potentially look (and think) stiff if it's not relaxing for you.

Man of Honour
I wore a suit and tie for all my video interviews. One was with a person I knew from a previous employer, who made a jokey comment about it. I was in two minds about whether to wear a tie tbh.
Another one, at the end of the interview the primary interviewer told me to lose the tie the next time we spoke. I got the job (and the other one put me through to the next stage), so it didn't do any harm.

My attitude has always been to dress the same as I would for an interview in person, but in future I might go with something toned down a tad, probably lose the tie and maybe the suit jacket if it is in summer.

Big issue I find with video calls is lighting, when I do video calls I usually move somewhere other than my desk, or put a lamp on otherwise my face is all dark compared to light from window behind etc. Also think about virtual eye contact; often if you aren't going to need to type it's best to raise the laptop (if using one) up higher so you are looking more straight ahead at the video of the other people, rather than down, so you look less shifty.

Soldato
Shirt and tie.
Its also worth putting the trousers on, if I was interviewing someone on teams I would ask them to stand up just to be mean.

Soldato
i am, but having a single day off during the week is a bit suspicious. I suppose i don’t have to give a reason but they could reject the leave.

Ah, fair enough.

As for what to wear, I recently interviewed via video wearing full suit and tie and got the job. It's not going to harm your chances I don't think.

Soldato
why on earth would you not put on some trousers etc to match the top half? surely the bottom half is the easiest part!

what if a wasp/big spider or something made you have to get up?

sounds like some daredevil tactic :p

Caporegime
A "Furry" outfit, what with minority quotas you'll be guaranteed to get the job and if you don't sue them for Furryphobia and destroy their reputation on social media. Isn't that how the west operates these days?

Back
Top Bottom