009165 Scam calls!

Capodecina
Soldato
Over the past few weeks I have had endless calls from numbers beginning with 009165 and followed by eight digits which are never the same twice.

When I have answered the 'phone, there is invariably a pause (presumably while a free call handler is located) and then an Indian sounding man or woman comes on the line to tell me that my Internet is going to be disconnected.

It makes no difference what I say or do, these calls continue; I have tried calling the callers crooks, swearing at them, wasting their time, asking to have my number removed from their lists or blowing a very loud Ref's whistle down the phone at them - nothing seems to work!

Does anyone know what this new Scam is about and more significantly whether there is anyone to whom I can report the originator?

Soldato
I'm not sure what the situation is on other call companies, but on BT you can set your phone to block International numbers, and then set any numbers you might want to allow as VIP.

Man of Honour
00 91 is the dialling code for India. Just block the number on phone every time you get one. Eventually it will cycle through all the numbers and none will work.

Man of Honour
00 91 is the dialling code for India. Just block the number on phone every time you get one. Eventually it will cycle through all the numbers and none will work.
The numbers will most likely be spoofed and not owned, so that could take 'a bit' :D

Underboss
Out of country, So, I suspect there is not much you can do :(

Just refuse to answer, and I expect you will soon drop off their lists.

i have NEVER answered my phone from any numbers i don't recognise, if its important they will leave a message, but most of the time my android phone tells me "potential scam" anyway

my step dad keeps answering his phone and telling them to remove him from their databases!!!

Soldato
The cheeky beggers spoof uk mobile numbers too. Last month i had 4 people call me up to say they had a missed call from me.... Then a week later I get a call from the wifes phone.. Yet I can see it on the counter. Our numbers are similar so must have just been going through them in order.

Associate

will take ages though as even 1 digit would be difference every time they call

Man of Honour
The only effective way to deal with this sort of thing is to never answer any call that's not from a trusted number. A legit caller will almost certainly leave a message. My phone doesn't even ring unless the call is from a number on my VIP list - it goes silently to voicemail instead. Solves the problem entirely. Nuisance callers hardly ever leave a message. The only such messages I get are from automated scamming setups that have been configured to leave an automated message on voicemail, which hardly ever happens.

Underboss
The only effective way to deal with this sort of thing is to never answer any call that's not from a trusted number. A legit caller will almost certainly leave a message. My phone doesn't even ring unless the call is from a number on my VIP list - it goes silently to voicemail instead. Solves the problem entirely. Nuisance callers hardly ever leave a message. The only such messages I get are from automated scamming setups that have been configured to leave an automated message on voicemail, which hardly ever happens.

this is what i do / have

Soldato
What about companies calling you like untitles company’s, companies you ordered from etc

Soldato
The 'internet disconnect' one has been going on for years... yes it's annoying but I've had some fun with them too. I've played so dumb that I didn't even know what a pc was and they still kept going lol

Having said that they have now moved on to a slightly more 'sophisticated' approach, or at least I've had it once and seen it reported about online.

I'm guessing they've done some database linking (or gained the info illegally) and they've associated my BT number the email address it uses, they then request a password reset so you get an email with a pin (which doesn't say anything about it being password reset...seriously stupid). They then ring up about an hour later from an unavailable number, pretend to be BT (I could hear it was a Indian call centre) and then try to get the pin from you. They didn't get far with me, I don't give out info unless I ring them, but I do worry for those that are a little less aware of scams.

I'd just block all unavailable/withheld numbers but in their infinite wisdom my doctors surgery and my local hospital haven't set the phone calls (voip most likely) to show the numbers when they call you.... :mad: Blocking foreign calls doesn't work either when they're using mobile numbers or voip with local area codes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What about companies calling you like untitles company’s, companies you ordered from etc

They can leave a message. Or not. They should be aware that the unfettered abuse of the phone system for many years has resulted in many people setting calls from unknown numbers to go straight to voicemail. If they don't take that fact into account in their business practices, they're doing it wrong. If they can't do it right, I'll use one of their competitors instead. But I hardly ever find it to be a problem.

Associate
When TalkTalk user details were leaked I unfortunately received endless calls from scammers pretending to be from TalkTalk.

I eventually gave up and switched telephone number and ISP because after all, it was TalkTalk who managed to lose control of my contact details so they didn't deserve my business anymore.

Back
Top Bottom