To move or not to move, that is the question.

Caporegime
So, I've recently been headhunted directly by the owner of a small but successful business offering managed services and internet services to other businesses, some quite large compared to the MSP themselves. I'd be taken on as a lead technical resource, working on a mix of internal and external projects, as well as support escalations. Working hours are typical office hours, the commute is currently 11 miles (each way), but will only be 3~ miles (each way) when we finally move house (hopefully before Christmas, but anything involving houses, probate, solicitors, etc takes an age). There is scope to flexibly WFH once probation is completed, likely 3 days a week.

My current role is titled "IT Operations Manager", however I only people manage two individuals and am still very hands-on myself, probably a split of 60/20/20 between hands-on/management/other stuff. The managerial parts of my role are my least enjoyable aspects of the job. There's also a demand on myself to be someone that does MI reporting for support stats, platform up-time, etc which is a tedious, manual and time-consuming process, I typically end up having to do this in my own time as there aren't enough hours in the day. Finally I've also got to play a leading role in attaining and re-certifying our various accreditation such as ISO27001, ISO22301, and PCI-DSS, there is no buy-in from the business as a whole for this, as such this is also incredibly time-consuming. Hours of work are in a shift-pattern of 7:30-15:30, 8:30-16:30 and 10:00:18:00 (I'm happy to do the first two, the late shift is problematic both from a family perspective, but also a parking one, arrive at the business park after 9am and you can't park, it isn't happening). My commute is 16 miles (each way) currently, and will be 20 miles (each way) once we move. WFH is limited to one member of the team at a time (two in exceptional circumstance), and is typically reserved for the guy doing the 10-6 shift due to the parking situation.

It's also quite plain that I don't see eye-to-eye with my direct line manager (Head of IT), though really do get on with HIS line manager (and my exec) the Chief Operating Officer. I get the feeling that my line manager doesn't really want me in the role I'm in.

I guess this debate sounds a little one-sided already as my language seems to suggest a lot of disdain for my current employer, however it's complicated:

When I started with my current employer back in Feb 2020, I had to re-structure the team (originally comprising of 3 first-line tech, and one first-line tech who was also the service-desk manager, all of their 2nd/3rd line support came from an utterly terrible third-party who were fleecing them for huge sums of money and providing them with antiquated solutions to technical problems... 4 file servers, all physical, no resilience or redundancy... awful). So I ended up bringing in a previous employee of mine whom I trust completely, know he's an excellent tech, and am also great friends with, we made 2 of the techs redundant (they were "lifers" with no ambition to be anything more than 1st line support), and moved the service-desk manager over to be a project manager (not my decision here, I wanted to keep the service desk manager in her role), the final first-line tech we retained as he was a quick learner and a willing and happy guy. I'd also wanted to take on either an application support role or a 2nd line tech.

The first line guy has been a trooper, basically one-man-banding the service desk 75% of the time whilst myself and my lead tech got on with the job of replacing the entire aging and physical infrastructure with a hybrid-cloud infrastructure (long story, can't go full cloud in one step as the board and shareholders are mainly OAPs and are petrified of going "cloud"). Needless to say this finally got a bit grating, as whilst he was being exposed to the project work at hand and thus learning, he felt that the situation was unfair, which it was, had I got my wish for either an application support guy or another tech, the workload would have been drastically reduced, but I simply could not get the budget. The first line guy ended up interviewing elsewhere whilst I was off on paternity leave, and the IT director fought back with a counter-offer, making it plain that changes WOULD be coming. The first line guy stayed on the proviso that he would re-evaluate in 6-8 months, and made it clear that he was only staying because he enjoyed working alongside myself and the lead tech, we've built up a good rapport in the team.

My lead tech, I'd feel incredibly guilty for leaving behind, though I know he would continue to do a great job.

I've still got a lot I can technically accomplish here and certainly don't feel like my job is done. I've been in that situation before, knowing that I've done all I can and am simply becoming part of the furniture, but I can see and feel that this isn't even close yet.

I realise I've not mentioned the salary difference between the two roles, but I'd be looking at around a 12% uplift in base, with the bonus scheme being 10% of salary in both cases. The pension is worse at the new role (3% contribution at the new role, 5% contribution at the old), as are the benefits (that I tend not to use anyway). PMI seems to be similar in both situations.

I'm at a loss of what to do, I usually say that if someone starts looking to leave, then it's only a matter of time anyway, but I wasn't "looking" per-say, I was contacted, though the fact that I took the opportunity to go speak with them perhaps says something. Moving would allow me to spend slightly more time with the wife and kids, but it's not an earth-shattering difference, maybe an hour a day at most. Staying would involve me convincing the business to make a step-change in how some things are done, as well as finally getting that application support role I need, but it's not escaped my thoughts that I'm currently expected to do more (as well as have more responsibility) for less.

One final thought is that I've never worked for an MSP, and having spoken with friends and colleagues across the years, some love it, some hate it. I'm really not sure what camp I'd be in.

Soldato
One point I would make is - Look out for yourself and don't worry about anyone else. You can't feel quilty for leaving other staff members/colleagues behind. Look out for number 1 - that's it.

Ultimately - it's your call - Push for a higher base salary? Don't ask, you don't get.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks. I'm not really looking out for anyone else, but I am at least taking their situation on-board given that I'm originally responsible for where they are.

I'll be honest, whilst the salary increase will of course be welcome, I'm not really in a position where I *need* the extra money, I'm more than comfortable with what I currently earn.

Man of Honour
Reading that post I was waiting for the bit where you gave a good reason for staying in the current job, but it never arrived. To summarise your wall of text (this isn't a criticism; I love walls of text!):

Reasons to leave:
  • New job pays more
  • New job has a shorter commute
  • Current job has OAP board scared of tech change
  • WFH likely to be higher in new job
  • New job has more consistent office hours so easier to plan around
  • There aren't enough hours in the day to do your current job
  • Current job has tedious / unenjoyable tasks
  • Don't get on with current line manager
  • Key resources in your team have already attempted to fly the nest, and are likely to do so if changes outside your direct control aren't made
Reasons to stay:
  • Current job has slightly higher pension [however you could easily offset this by making additional personal contributions from your 12% pay hike]
  • You like the people working in your team
  • You have 'unfinished business' and could get a sense of reward and achievement from continuing to refine and setup the working practices at your current place
Based on what you have written this is an easy one, definitely leave.

I agree with the post above that you should not feel guilty for leaving people behind. The only time I've felt like that was when I said I wanted to leave a prior job (without a new job to go to) and the director asked about whether there were other roles within the business that would interest me. In that scenario, I wouldn't have felt comfortable just leaving my job and taking another role in the same company, it would have been difficult to look my team in the eye if I bumped into them having bailed out.

Caporegime
OP
Handed my notice in. After having a discussion with my line manager beforehand it became apparent that he was of the opinion I should leave “for the opportunity” which told me all I needed to know about how the current business values me.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

At least 12% better salary, potential to WFH 3/5 days after probation, closer to home (after the move) and a leaving your line manager behind? You can't be gutted with that!

Soldato
Handed my notice in. After having a discussion with my line manager beforehand it became apparent that he was of the opinion I should leave “for the opportunity” which told me all I needed to know about how the current business values me.

Correct decision by the sounds of it! Could have possibly tried to haggle more money out of new place but hey!

Enjoy your new job.

Caporegime
OP
At least 12% better salary, potential to WFH 3/5 days after probation, closer to home (after the move) and a leaving your line manager behind? You can't be gutted with that!

Oh I’m 100% happy with the circumstance and package, more annoyed about the lack of hoots given by my current employer.

Correct decision by the sounds of it! Could have possibly tried to haggle more money out of new place but hey!

Enjoy your new job.

I doubt there would have been much scope to haggle more from the new employer, I’m banging my head against their ceiling for the role as it is.

Caporegime
Only worry is that the jump in salary is a bit low and worrying if that is near the top of what they're able to pay - where is the scope for progression etc..? Moving is a risk and something you ought to be compensated for, I'd generally try to push for a bit more than that as these days (aside from substantial promotions - i.e. not just a change in job title but additional responsibilities/people and stuff to manage) moving jobs is the main way to boost your pay.

Though if that's the best thing on offer for you at the moment then the other stuff seems good, go for it and maybe look at moving again in another 18 months if needed.

Caporegime
I’d try and push the new place for a bit more just to cement it. It doesn’t have to be pay, maybe five extra days holiday for example?

Caporegime
^^ that's not a bad idea - especially if you've accumulated holiday at your own place. Like some companies start you off on the minimum or close to it then reward with extra days as a retention thing (at one place longstanding employees had like 30 or so + bank holidays) but I guess everything is potentially negotiable.

Man of Honour
more annoyed about the lack of hoots given by my current employer.
Don't waste your energy worrying about that, there is a tendency for workers to feel undervalued because only they know everything that they contribute to an organisation. You feel like you are 'indispensable' / massively value-adding but for whatever reason it doesn't look that way from the other side of the fence and/or the people involved don't have the necessary parameters/influence to make it worthwhile attempting to retain staff.

It's also a bit of a self-fulfilling situation i.e. employer doesn't give two hoots about you in which case they probably weren't doing enough to retain you already, hence you are leaving. If hoots were given you might not have ended up in this situation to begin with.

I once resigned hoping for a counter-offer that never formally materialised (there was a vague conversation about what it would take for me to stay) which was a good test of whether they were prepared to match my ambitions.

Back
Top Bottom