• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looks like single cable cards are here to stay

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
I still think they should have started transitioning to 24 or 48v for the GPU rail. Cables are getting massive.

This would mean a massive change in PSU and older still working PSU going to landfill for no reason.

Can't they supply more power through the pcie slot itself? Or redesign the slot to give more power? People normally upgrade the motherboard 2-3 times per psu.

Soldato
Does a single cable have any effect on coil whine (like making it worse) by having more power going over that one cable?

Soldato
This would mean a massive change in PSU and older still working PSU going to landfill for no reason.

Can't they supply more power through the pcie slot itself? Or redesign the slot to give more power? People normally upgrade the motherboard 2-3 times per psu.
You could still have 12v and higher along side for a while. Trickle it down over a few years from the top GPUs.
Easy enough to make a GPU that will work with 12v-48v.
Implement it on motherboards as well, all but the top GPUs could be powered through the slot.

Man of Honour
If people are already complaining about the energy use in mining, I can't see how this is sustainable, for mining or for gaming :confused: Surely the high-end should be using less power each year, not more.

Soldato
I still think they should have started transitioning to 24 or 48v for the GPU rail. Cables are getting massive.

If anything the industry is going to move to the single 12V supplies, kind of like Dell has with a lot of their prebuilts. The regulation from 12V to 5V/3.3V would move onto the motherboard. The 24-pin connector would shrink a lot.

Of course, as for graphics cards, given the EU's penchant for deciding that we're not allowed high wattage appliances I expect legislation in the not too distant future.

Associate
If people are already complaining about the energy use in mining, I can't see how this is sustainable, for mining or for gaming :confused: Surely the high-end should be using less power each year, not more.
All of that, plus getting rid of 600W is going to be noisy. Very noisy I should think.

You know those little mini oil-filled radiators? The 600W or so ones:
FFNMqLz.png
Maybe the future for OTT graphic cards is to have some way of transferring their heat into one of those?

Associate
I was speaking to some people on FB about this, how supposely the current 150w limit per 8 pin is a bit "safe". He then said "288W is the theoritical limit per 8-pin cable at 18AWG (including daisy chain). Assuming 3x spearate 8 pin cales you're looking at 864W with current", which seems insane. Anyone know how true this is?

Caporegime

Nobody is complaining of energy usage in mining apart from noob miners.

Even at 30p per kwh (which is double what I pay FYI) a 3080 still makes over $4 of profit per day.

https://whattomine.com/gpus?cost=0.42&button=&nvidia=true&amd=true&filter=all

So even if electricity prices doubled for me. It still makes circa $1500 per year on a 3080. Not taking into account of the fact crypto itself tends to gain stupid amounts over a cycle. That $1500 will be worth $15,000 within 10 years for instance. Only the bedroom miners who worry about investing £5 per month of leccy who don't really know what they are doing are the ones complaining but they shouldn't be mining if £5 a month is something they lose sleep over.

I was speaking to some people on FB about this, how supposely the current 150w limit per 8 pin is a bit "safe". He then said "288W is the theoritical limit per 8-pin cable at 18AWG (including daisy chain). Assuming 3x spearate 8 pin cales you're looking at 864W with current", which seems insane. Anyone know how true this is?

Not true. A lot of miners have tried daisy chaining and caused fires. There is a professional miner on youtube that sticks to the 80% rule. As in he will never use more than 80% of somethings rated capacity ever. So for him his limit is 120W per 8 pin. He then follows this through to sockets on the wall where he will never pull more than 80% on the circuit of his electric wiring.

Caporegime
I hope your deal for 15p per kwh is for a while, its a lot more than that now!

5 more months to go hopefully by then winter is over and so is the demand for gas/leccy to heat homes so prices come back down and i can lock in another good rate. If not I always have my solar panels for free electricity. I will get a battery to make better use of them if leccy keeps on going up which means getting a battery is a no brainer.

Man of Honour
Nobody is complaining of energy usage in mining apart from noob miners.

Even at 30p per kwh (which is double what I pay FYI) a 3080 still makes over $4 of profit per day.

https://whattomine.com/gpus?cost=0.42&button=&nvidia=true&amd=true&filter=all

So even if electricity prices doubled for me. It still makes circa $1500 per year on a 3080. Not taking into account of the fact crypto itself tends to gain stupid amounts over a cycle. That $1500 will be worth $15,000 within 10 years for instance. Only the bedroom miners who worry about investing £5 per month of leccy who don't really know what they are doing are the ones complaining but they shouldn't be mining if £5 a month is something they lose sleep over.

Not true. A lot of miners have tried daisy chaining and caused fires. There is a professional miner on youtube that sticks to the 80% rule. As in he will never use more than 80% of somethings rated capacity ever. So for him his limit is 120W per 8 pin. He then follows this through to sockets on the wall where he will never pull more than 80% on the circuit of his electric wiring.

You're tempting me to mine, but I actually meant, people who don't mine, like politicians and environmental groups.

Caporegime
You're tempting me to mine, but I actually meant, people who don't mine, like politicians and environmental groups.

You have a point. Mining is being culled. When ethereum goes to POS, essentially mining will die overnight. I think the fork has been pushed back again so another year to go. But if anyone is thinking of mining 2022 will be the last good year. After that it will be scraps left over and graphics cards will be lying on shelves gathering dust. In 2023 prices will be very good on the second hand market. You will likely be able to get a 3060ti for pennies compared to today in 2023. It is a long time to wait however. For now it's best just buying a GPU seeing it as an investment, mining on it and holding the crypto for 4-10 years then cashing out and laughing all the way to the bank.

Associate
5 more months to go hopefully by then winter is over and so is the demand for gas/leccy to heat homes so prices come back down and i can lock in another good rate. If not I always have my solar panels for free electricity. I will get a battery to make better use of them if leccy keeps on going up which means getting a battery is a no brainer.

I hope so too - Unfortunately, live in a block of flats so solar panels are not an option..

Back
Top Bottom