Job post salary advice

Soldato
Hey,

My boss has asked me to find a second me for my department.

I'm to be the head of dept and the new guy/girl the junior.

I'm just not sure what pay to suggest.

Its a Software Eng / Data Analysis role with elements of AI and Database creation to create predications.
NOT working from home unfortunately as the equipment we use is kinda expensive and lives in the office.

I have put down 23 - 30k starting. Does this sound reasonable?

Btw if anyone is interested in the role. Send me a trust, ill pop over the job spec

Job is based in Leicestershire

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's pretty hard for anyone to give an indication without knowing the geographical location as well. £23-30k in London will attract a different calibre of individual than £23-30k in Hull for example.

As with @Haze, I'd be asking for a budget to work towards rather than plucking a figure out of the air and trying to make it work.

Soldato
OP
Seems odd it's up to you to work out someones salary, who worked out yours?
It's a pretty new company, I was asked what I wanted so I added £15k to my old jobs pay and it was accepted.
I am my department, and I have too much work, so was asked if I wanted someone else to help. I said yes, and was told to sort the job desc and pay scale :/

Defiantly needed as we have 4 clients now, and are soon to have 20... it's growth is high.

Soldato
OP
It's pretty hard for anyone to give an indication without knowing the geographical location as well. £23-30k in London will attract a different calibre of individual than £23-30k in Hull for example.

As with @Haze, I'd be asking for a budget to work towards rather than plucking a figure out of the air and trying to make it work.
Ah yes. I'll add that to the OP.

Man of Honour
Salary sounds a bit low unless they are a genuinely junior resource. One challenge you will face is if you hire someone under £30k and then have them working in AI / Data Analysis / Software Eng, with no career progression route (reporting to the Head Of) they will gain that experience and then leave in 2023 at the latest to take a job paying more.

I think you have three options, either:
1) Have it as a genuinely junior dogsbody role where you will need to replace them every year or so
2) Pitch it at a higher level where you can bring someone in who can contribute more, be paid more and hopefully settle down for a bit
3) Discuss with senior management long-term plans i.e. given the client growth is there the potential for you to grow this team further and hence provide more opportunities for people.

Soldato
OP
Salary sounds a bit low unless they are a genuinely junior resource. One challenge you will face is if you hire someone under £30k and then have them working in AI / Data Analysis / Software Eng, with no career progression route (reporting to the Head Of) they will gain that experience and then leave in 2023 at the latest to take a job paying more.

I think you have three options, either:
1) Have it as a genuinely junior dogsbody role where you will need to replace them every year or so
2) Pitch it at a higher level where you can bring someone in who can contribute more, be paid more and hopefully settle down for a bit
3) Discuss with senior management long-term plans i.e. given the client growth is there the potential for you to grow this team further and hence provide more opportunities for people.

The plan was to evaluate the persons performance after 6 months and bump up the pay by 20%. Then do so again after a further 12 months. Bonus / Share opportunities to be included.
No where really to go in terms of "up" as its me then the two founders. BUT, they can go Up/Sideways into a newly formed department when we reach a milestone of client numbers.

My department is doing everything technical at the moment, but that ideally could be split into 3 or 4 departments.

Soldato
It's a tricky one, especially with the growth you're expecting, do you really want someone junior level where you would have to invest ~20% of your time supporting them?

I'd have thought someone a little higher level who could come in straight away and split work with you would be better.

Back
Top Bottom